"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 03-08-2008, 11:07 PM   #1
Cook

IL - Chicago .. Top downtown restaurants?

Charlie Trotter's and Alinea are both reputed to be among the 'top 50' in the world. True? If one can go to only one, which, and why?

Old 03-09-2008, 08:16 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I would go to Alinea in a heartbeat, but this may help others decide:

Old 03-09-2008, 08:35 AM   #3
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
between the two, I would choose Alinea. I have been to Charlie Trotter's and was underwhelmed.

but I would probably pick Tru over either of them.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:10 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Nick's Fish Market (the one downtown) has some of the best seafood I have ever eaten. It's bloddy expensive. Dinner for the two of us with a bottle of wine as almost $400.00 with a tip.

I also love Harry Caray's downtown location. The Signature Room on top of the John Hancock building is a bit over rated. There's also Trader Vic's for Polynesian food. Gibsons is a great steak joint as well as the Webber Grill. Fogo de Chao is a great Brazillian steak house. The best Tappas bar in Chicago is cafe' Iberico. All these restaurunts are downtown and within walking distance from Michigan Avenue and the river.

There are also a lot of little known smaller restaurants in the Bucktown area, Old Town, and Wrigleyville. Those will probably require a short cab ride though.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:28 PM   #5
Cook

Nicks's looks interesting, and leaning towards Alinea. We'll be right downtown, flying into O'hare, taking a shuttle downtown, then cabbing to our destinations while in town (5 days.). Staying at the Allerton. Wasn't able to really get a firm 'good or bad' on the Allerton, but it's done now:)), booked through Travelocity. I went to Trotter's about 10 years ago when he was still fairly new. It was amazing. Wine costs won't be a factor; we don't drink alcohol and are looking for great food to tie into the destinations that we are planning to take in.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:05 PM   #6
Senior Cook

The Allerton is a fine hotel. It's not the Ritz but I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Since The Allerton is located right on Michigan Avenue on the north end of the river you should be able to walk just about everywhere. Wifey works at 900 N. Michigan Avenue in the Bloomingdale's building.

If you do decide to go to Alinea, let me know. I'd like to hear the review!!!
Old 03-09-2008, 03:15 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
between the two, I would choose Alinea. I have been to Charlie Trotter's and was underwhelmed.

but I would probably pick Tru over either of them.
Tru is really, really good, especially if you like desserts. Our tasting menu had I think four dessert courses.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:22 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

a buddy of mine staged (worked for free to get some knowledge, might have spelled it wrong) at Tru and said its one of the few places he would pay to eat at (he's a **** fine chef and has eaten at some of the top restaurants in the US, including the french laundry) Im hoping to go there with my girlfriend next time we make it back to Chi-town
Old 03-10-2008, 10:05 PM   #9
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
If you want to get the best service you can get with some of the best food in the world, def. check out alinea or tru, or trotter's. All will be good. It is my opinion though, that there aren't very many bad places to eat in the city, no matter what your budget looks like.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:10 PM   #10
Master Chef

Don't forget The Gordon or The Absinthe, both excellent restaurants as well. The Gordon was around $100 per person plus drinks while the Absinthe was about $160 for the two of us drinks included. Then again The Gordon had a 5 course meal while The Absinthe had a three course meal.

Tags
chicago, illinois