"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food
Old 11-24-2006, 10:54 AM   #1
Head Chef
INDIA - Trip Report

Hello folks, I just came back after a month long business trip to India. I went back after 13 years and tried to savor as much as I could of the local food there.

I started my trip in Mumbai and the hotel served delicious Indian fare for breakfast along with juices such as sweet lime, tangerine and pomogrenate (this one is to die for). I savored dosas (a crispy pancake made out of beans and filled with potatoes) and parathas made with gobi (cauliflower) and mooli (radishes). I also went to local chaat joints (chaat's are snacks that tantalize your taste buds with sweet, spicy and sour tastes). The taste of chaat's in India just cannot be imitated in the west.

The seafood in India is amazing. I went to special seafood joints where the fish was super fresh, light and flaky. The curries were amazing. The taste in the west and east are truly different.

I also ate a Thali. It was nostalgia all over again. If you are ever in India I highly recommend that you try a Thali. The word Thali literally means a plate. It's an ultimate feast for a vegetarian. It's amazing to experience this. You get a steel plate with several little steel bowls. Then a line of servers walk to your table and place various different vegetables and beans cooked to perfection in each of the little bowls. They give you choices of several different breads, rice, salads, savory tid bits and pickles. It is amazing. I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

My trip to Bangalore was equally fun. Bangalore is literally the Silicone valley of India. I was amazed at the number of expats that live there and the company's that have presence there. I ate at a Vietnemese restaurant at the Taj West End in Bangalore called Blue Ginger. The food (lobsters and lamb) was out of this world. It was spiced to perfection and very authentic.

I also got to try several local fruits including chickoo, custard apple (which I ate after 18 years) and fresh guavas. I also tried fresh sugar cane juice which is another one of those experiences that just cannot be described. It has to be tasted to be appreciated.

If you ever decide to go to India, get out, mingle with the locals and try some local delicacies. I would highly recommend carrying your own bottled water because that is what makes most people sick not the food itself.

Yakuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 11:29 AM   #2
Executive Chef
I spent my gap-year travelling. It was a long time ago now, but I remember the foods in India with great nostalgia. I particularly loved the food in Kerala.

I bet you saw a lot of changes since you were last there!

Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 11:40 AM   #3
Master Chef
I'm jealous about the food ... when we go to the "big city" (Quad Cities, Chicago, or Madison), Indian is one of the cuisines we go for. Indian food takes well to buffets, so we get to taste everything and take home ideas for cooking. Luckily I have a Pakistani friend and every once in awhile one of his friends from "home" will cook us dinner. Yummmyummm
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 11:44 AM   #4
Master Chef
What a wonderful description! I can almost taste the tastes and smell the aromas.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 11:51 AM   #5
The Dude Abides
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Sounds like a blast!

I am a BIG fan of Indian Cuisine, in particular, southern indian cuisine.
We are planing a trip to Nepal for next year and I would love to see northern india while I am that close.

Thanks for all the great discriptions, got me ready for some lunch!
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 05:36 AM   #6
Sous Chef
All of that sounds divine, Yakuta. As an Indian food devotee, I'd just love the opportunity to visit.
Wonderful description! Thanks!
cliveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 02:48 PM   #7
Head Chef
I have friends who have visited India in the past few years and always drank bottled water. They enjoyed the Indian Cuisine very much and I also like it too.

I am glad that you had such a great trip.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 09:07 AM   #8
Master Chef
Sniff--boo hoo----we left India a year ago--the food was to die for--glad that you got to taste the real cuisine and NOT get sick in the bargain--a real tight rope to maneuver as a tourista---El Buhara's with their grilled meat and wonderful chapis were to die for as well
The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 09:17 AM   #9
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Wow Yakuta!! I am so happy for you that you had such a wonderful homecoming, you must have had the time of your life!!

India is one of the places I dream of, just the thought of an authentic local cuisine makes me drool!! I never have tried any seafood with an Indian style cooking. I was always afraid the strong curry flavour could drown the usually delicate flavour of fish, prawns etc. Do you have a suggestion for cooking a seafood curry, to blend the flavour of the spices and the fish just right?

If have some pictures to share from there, we would love to see it!!
urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:00 AM   #10
Sous Chef
Yakuta, Sounds like you had a lovely time. Your description of the dishes are great I could almost taste them myself. I'd love to go to India some day. My daughter and her class are studying India this term. They had a day when they all had to go dressed in Indian outfits and they had some sort of curry for lunch. Actually my daughter loves(even before this project) Anything Indian related, I keep buying bindis and bangles every chance I get. She never seems to get enough of them.I had an Indian lady in in Bristol (UK) make her an indian outfit which she loves......I got myself a salwar kameez as well !!!

There is no love sincerer than the love of food. ~George Bernard Shaw
Jikoni is offline   Reply With Quote