Indiana/Illinois Breweries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigdaddy3k

Mr. Greenjeans
Moderator Emeritus
We went to the 3 Floyds in Munster, Indiana today. It was amazing!!!!!!!!! They have a beer called "Stay In School" it's like a liquid coconut macaroon with extra spice!!!! At the same time its not a froofy beer. It still has good solid foundations. The food was divine!!! GO THERE!!!!

I'm a total beer snob. This made me cry.

You're a "froofy" beer drinker if...

...your local gas station/Mini Mart puts it on sale as a "special."

...the beer you normally drink is in cases that are stacked 5' high in the center of the isle.

...if you think Samuel Adams is a senator from Massachusetts.

...whenever someone mentions "Flat Tire" you look out toward your car.

...if you refuse to buy beer that you can't pronounce, such as "Dos Equis."

...if, while ordering at a restaurant, you think buying "premium draft" is beyond your beer budget.

Fingers got tangled up before my first coffee... "Fat Tire" :LOL:

I've got a nice joint not to far from my house. Resonable prices. About 3 bucks a pint. Guiness, Fat Tire, Blue Moon. Pretty sweet. It's not like this place I went last night but its good solid beer and the food is OOTW. It's called Ye Olde Town Inn in Paletine Illinois.

Speaking of non froofy beers. Costco is now selling cases of mixed (4 - 6 packs) at 18 bucks. My first impression is it is pretty good beer. Gordon Biersch is supposedly the brewer, although my case was brewed in Utica, NY. May be contract brewed in various places.. Biersch contracts for Trader Joes.

I recall seeing on TV about beer brewing, and that nearly all of the major brewers have a bottling plant no more than 400 miles (one day by truck) from their furthest retailer. I don't remember the details of why, but I think it had to do with shelf life.

I think you are right. Much of this has to do with kegs, which must be kept refrigerated. Bottles are more easily shipped and need not be kept cold.

Kegs don't neccesarily have to be kept cold. It's just easier to tap if you do, less foam.

This one source - From Micromatic. For the most part keg beer brewed and packaged in kegs in the U.S. is not pasteurized. During the packaging process non pasteurized draft beers are sterile filtered and chilled to the point that any surviving bacteria, which could ferment the beer, become dormant. Kegs are kept cold ( < 50°F ) from the brewery to the point of dispense. Draft beer dispensed from a keg should be fresh by storing as short as possible, and serving cold at 38°F.

Temperatures above 38°F may promote non pasteurized draft beers to turn sour or cloudy. Should the temperature rise above 50°F, the dormant bacteria which ferments and spoils beer will once again become active and, subsequent growth will rapidly begin to spoil flavor and cloud the beer

You're a "froofy" beer drinker if...

...your local gas station/Mini Mart puts it on sale as a "special."

...the beer you normally drink is in cases that are stacked 5' high in the center of the isle.

...if you think Samuel Adams is a senator from Massachusetts.

...whenever someone mentions "Flat Tire" you look out toward your car.

...if you refuse to buy beer that you can't pronounce, such as "Dos Equis."

...if, while ordering at a restaurant, you think buying "premium draft" is beyond your beer budget.

So all the more common beers like Bud and Miller are froofy beers? I thought that referred to beers with names like Tuscan Orange Grapefruit. Personally I don't drink beer very often anymore. But when I do it doesn't matter what anyone else calls it.

Back
Top Bottom