"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 05-31-2009, 09:19 PM   #11
Head Chef

Hey, you can cook on your engine too, while you are driving...
Cooking great meals with your car engine. The heat is on. | Wise Bread

One thing you should consider is doing your own Diners, DriveIns and Dives.
We road tripped from NC to WY, and our rule was not to eat in any chain or national restaurants. Was great fun, especially in the little towns in KS and CO.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:21 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post

We road tripped from NC to WY, and our rule was not to eat in any chain or national restaurants. Was great fun, especially in the little towns in KS and CO.
What fun!!! The food was probably better and waaaay cheaper too!

magnoliasouth - good luck on your trip!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:42 PM   #13
Head Chef

DD played tournament softball and then college softball growing up so we spend a lot of time traveling and staying in hotels. We did the crock pot thing and it worked out well. Just be sure to get some of those crockpot liners and a dishpan because it's a real pain in the behind to wash dishes in a hotel.

Those new steamer bags are great for cooking veggies, poulty and fish in the microwave. They have a bunch of recipes for the steamer bags on The Biggest Loser website

I hope you have a fun time!
Old 06-01-2009, 01:16 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to magnoliasouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
Just be sure to get some of those crockpot liners and a dishpan because it's a real pain in the behind to wash dishes in a hotel.

Those new steamer bags are great for cooking veggies, poulty and fish in the microwave.
Ohhh great ideas. Hopefully I can find liners for a small crock. I already put my order in at Amazon.

Quote:
Hey, you can cook on your engine too...
You know, I actually remember when that was posted at Wise Bread. It's one of my favorite blogs! We could do that, but I've a feeling hubby might not want to.

Quote:
One thing you should consider is doing your own Diners, DriveIns and Dives. We road tripped from NC to WY, and our rule was not to eat in any chain or national restaurants. Was great fun, especially in the little towns in KS and CO.
Exactly! In fact, for the past several days I've been mapping out our trip and looking up local stuff on the internet. Many even have menus online so I can check their prices and make sure it has food that we think sounds interesting.

It's just so amazing because 15 years ago this wasn't possible at all. You just had to grab an atlas and hope you find stuff on the way. Now, it's full preparation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefkathleen View Post
All About Food - Crockpot Recipes
Roadside America - Guide to Uniquely Odd Tourist Attractions
Excellent links, even if this site won't let me post them in a reply yet (I need x number of posts first)!Thanks so much for those. I believe I ran across Roadside America several years ago when it first got started. It may have been another one, but in any case at the time it was very limited. It's an astonishing resource now and I completely forgot about it! Thank you for that. :) Also thank you for your determined diligence in sharing it.

Again, thanks to all!
Old 06-01-2009, 04:22 PM   #15
Sous Chef

No problem Mags. I like querky our of the way things and you sounded like you did too. I envy you your adventure.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:33 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:

I have to jump on this :) I spent the first 11 years of my surveying career in the field and found that cooking on the motor is a great way to have good hot food when on the run. DW even got me a cook book on it one year. It's was leftovers most of the time, double wrapped in aluminum foil so juices stayed in and the food stayed clean, and I would place it in a snug spot near the manifold. But you have to be careful when getting right on the manifold ... it burns quickly if you're running down the road, especially on a hot day.

I was the envy of the other crews and crew members because I had hot home made food everyday and they either had cold cut sandwiches or had to pay for fast food ... which gets expensive if done on a daily basis.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:08 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to magnoliasouth
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefkathleen View Post
No problem Mags. I like querky our of the way things and you sounded like you did too. I envy you your adventure.
Oh no, don't get me wrong! I certainly AM the kind of person who would love that. My hubby is a bit more... well... different than me in that respect is all. I will definitely mention it to him tonight. He may surprise me.

As for the envy, I tell you it's like a dream for me. Clay and I have only been married for two years. I was married before for 20 years and while we saw a lot during that marriage (we even lived in Alaska for 6 years and drove all the way there from Georgia), this is much MUCH different.

My father's family is from Maine and all my life I have wanted to visit there. Everyone in my family, I mean EVERYONE, has been there except for me. We're going to a family reunion on the 4th in Maine and I cannot tell you how excited I am.

Then Clay suggested us taking a road trip along with it. I'm a history nerd and one of my favorite points in history is the Revolution. So we're going all along the coast down through Boston, Philadelphia, DC and even through New York City, which I've never been to either.

On the way up we're going through Tennesee, Kentucky and so forth up to Niagra Falls.

I just can't believe it. I had come to the conclusion that I would never see that part of the country ever, and then Clay came into my life. He's just wonderful!

So hang in there. A trip like this may just find its way into your lap one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefallin1309 View Post
DW even got me a cook book on it one year. It's was leftovers most of the time, double wrapped in aluminum foil so juices stayed in and the food stayed clean, and I would place it in a snug spot near the manifold. But you have to be careful when getting right on the manifold ... it burns quickly if you're running down the road, especially on a hot day.
Now what you have said here is what I can use to grab his attention on it. After I read Kathleen's idea and remembered about the post, I Googled it and to my dismay I found cookbooks, just like you mention here!

It's definitely new to me and will take a little experimentation on my part, but I think it's a fabulous idea.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:29 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Well, magnoliasouth, if you're going to travel through my state, you might want to put Columbus-Belmont State Park, which is only a couple of minutes from my house.

It's one of the most beautiful parks in the country/state and overlooks the Mississippi River. Lots and lots and lots of history, too. Not Revolutionary, but Civil War era stuff.

Another area that's filled with things to see and do is Paducah, KY, which is where I go for shopping, dining and entertainment. The whole downtown area, near the floodwall (with murals), is beautifully restored. There are even horse-drawn carriage rides on Saturday nights.

Come on down!!!
Old 06-02-2009, 12:17 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoliasouth View Post

Then Clay suggested us taking a road trip along with it. I'm a history nerd and one of my favorite points in history is the Revolution. So we're going all along the coast down through Boston, Philadelphia, DC and even through New York City, which I've never been to either.

On the way up we're going through Tennesee, Kentucky and so forth up to Niagra Falls.

We've done that somewhat broken up and never stayed very long anywhere except DC. Take some time there, there is a lot to see and you wont do it in a day. We took nearly a full day to walk through Arlington National Cemetery and Iwo Jima Monument, there's just that much to it (bring your walkin' shoes for that hike too!) Don't drive in DC either, take the Metro rail ... driving in DC is for either the locals or the insane. I'm a huge history buff too, American and World, and the older the better for me when it comes to locations, older and full of historical importance. I haven't been to Boston to NYC yet, but I will. The others you mentioned you'll love just because of their age and significance, I do envy you as well. I want to go to Maine as well!
Old 06-02-2009, 01:25 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefallin1309 View Post
We've done that somewhat broken up and never stayed very long anywhere except DC. Take some time there, there is a lot to see and you wont do it in a day. We took nearly a full day to walk through Arlington National Cemetery and Iwo Jima Monument, there's just that much to it (bring your walkin' shoes for that hike too!) Don't drive in DC either, take the Metro rail ... driving in DC is for either the locals or the insane. I'm a huge history buff too, American and World, and the older the better for me when it comes to locations, older and full of historical importance. I haven't been to Boston to NYC yet, but I will. The others you mentioned you'll love just because of their age and significance, I do envy you as well. I want to go to Maine as well!
I lived in DC for 30 years and I wholly endorse freefallin1309's suggestion of using DC's Metro system. It goes EVERYWHERE there.

One site you really shouldn't miss is the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknowns. Bring tissues. It's a life-changing experience and one you will never forget.

Tags
cheap, road-trip, tips, travel, recipe