"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 06-11-2009, 02:25 PM   #31
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to magnoliasouth
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
... I have picked them up on Priceline for as low as $25 a night. I use Better Bidding to do research before bidding.
Yowzah! I have never even heard of Better Bidding before. I just took a quick look at it and found it very interesting indeed! I planned my mother's trip to Las Vegas, she is there right now and just called me with her Vegas Update only moments ago, and I sure wish I had known about that one before. For us on this particular trip though, I'm not sure how well it will work. We have a generalized plan with a list of things we wish to do in a prioritized order. We're just going to take it day by day and see where everything leads us. If we decide to spend an extra day in one place, then we will need to eliminate a visit to another place, so we can't be locked in to any particular location.

That said, it would be nice to have a list of cheap hotels/motels in several certain areas. I just wouldn't be able to make an actual reservation is all.

Still though, I am VERY interested in that site for further use. We travel often to places such as Atlanta and New Orleans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
There are...
Wow! There are so many tips in that post that I had to trim it up for this one! You have a lot of excellent ideas. I do have one question though about something you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
You'll need a container for the coffee grounds and water, to let it cold steep
I am very interested in what this means. Are you talking about making iced coffee? Or are you suggesting making a coffee in sort of a "sun tea" style?

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
...we got into trouble cooking in the rooms the first time. except for using the microwave provided in the room that is.
Really? How were you cooking in the room? I suppose I can see their side of it. Any further cooking does somewhat increase the potential for fires. Although a crock pot has less potential for a fire than a microwave.

How did they find out you were cooking in the room? We likely won't be in any one room more than one night at a time, so the maids won't have a chance to report any odd cooking equipment, if that's what happened to you.

Personally, I would probably write that up as a review at someplace like TripAdvisor. Just to warn other potential "road chefs," if for no other reason.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:53 PM   #32
Head Chef

Thanks MagnoliaSouth!
Check out this thread.
Traveling coffee

And I remembered later, bring a nice knife for cutting up veggies (to munch and on salads and...), wrap it in foil, so it doesn't cut through your cooler or containers.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:05 AM   #33
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoliasouth View Post
Yowzah! I have never even heard of Better Bidding before. I just took a quick look at it and found it very interesting indeed!
I have the same user name over there. If you need help let me know. You can also look at my history and see some of the great deals that I have gotten.

Quote:
That said, it would be nice to have a list of cheap hotels/motels in several certain areas. I just wouldn't be able to make an actual reservation is all.
Will you be taking a laptop? I have used mine to find hotels before. Find a wifi hot spot log on and search. I have even bid for a room on Priceline while eating some place that had free wifi.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:54 PM   #34
Sous Chef

Wow Mags! You really got a plethora of advise and idea! That's really great.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:20 PM   #35
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to magnoliasouth
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
Will you be taking a laptop? I have used mine to find hotels before. Find a wifi hot spot log on and search. I have even bid for a room on Priceline while eating some place that had free wifi.
First, thank you for letting me know your username. I'll be checking soon. I am always either magnoliasouth or magnoliasoutherly wherever I'm at. Don't you wish we could literally trademark our names so it would never be taken? lol!

As for the laptop, we've talked about taking it. My vote was for yes, but Clay isn't sure he wants to take it. We actually have three laptops (plus 3 desktops) in the house, so we're not hurting for any type of computer! It's just that we're checking out of each hotel every day. We wouldn't want to leave the laptop in the car in the summer heat, but we definitely don't want to lug it around everywhere we go either. It's kind of a catch-22.

I will have my family here though, so if we need to find something in a place that we hadn't planned to be then I can call them and get them to look it up for us.

chefkathleen: I know! I'm just too excited. Before I go, I'm going to print all of this too.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:52 AM   #36
Assistant Cook

Crack pot would be great for you
it will help you cooking when you are enjoying ...
spices in the zip lock would add to the variety and taste
Old 07-08-2009, 12:36 PM   #37
Sous Chef

Are you back yet Mags? We want a report!! LOL

Tags
cheap, road-trip, tips, travel, recipe