"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 06-06-2015, 02:32 PM   #21
Honey Badger

We just got home from an almost 2 week road trip.
Yes we ate out at a few local places.The food was great.It helped us relax and not worry about what's to eat. Stores were close enough if we needed anything else. It was usually cases of water.

I did pack us up a nice set of essentials.
Fisrt off was a case of Cavi-Wipes. Don't expect the maids to clean the microwave or mini fridge.Bring your own ice bucket.

Paper plates.
Napkins
Box of utincils from costco
Paper cups/Home coffee mugs
Take your own coffee and maker.What's supplied is old.Could possibly be hazardous to use.
Pack a few extra sets of your own towels. Your own home pillows.

We stayed for 1 week in 1 spot.Had a great time.Only went to the store for late night munchies.It's truly a hassle to to lug around an ice chest.
I bought us a portable one that plugs into the cigarette lighter that keeps things hot or cold.Great investment.

Enjoy your trip. We were sorry we had to come back.

Old 06-06-2015, 06:13 PM   #22
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
We just got home from an almost 2 week road trip. {snip}
Enjoy your trip. We were sorry we had to come back.
Got the "kitchen stuff" covered, this is from our Great Western Adventure two years ago :

Click image for larger version

Name:	Our Great Western Adventure 001.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	22930

Name:	Our Great Western Adventure 002.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	22931

Name:	Our Great Western Adventure 003.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	22932

This was zero hour to blast off and then I would restock my "pantry" along the way. We were on the road for a little more than a month, staying in most places 1-4 days and eating in some restaurants if it wasn't just a pit stop-overnighter-moving-on-at-day-break.

We usually drive in 9-12 hours stretches here in the West, `cuz everything is so far apart once you get away from the cities.

This up coming road trip is looking to turn into possibly 6-8 weeks on the trail. Once we get to Michigan, we plan on branching out and seeing loads of family and old friends of my husband's, and then one the way back stop more and see sights, take out time basically.

Old 06-06-2015, 09:49 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

This takes me back to my dad doing "engine" cooking when we traveled. Meat, potatoes, and carrots worked best.

Engine Cooking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 06-08-2015, 10:49 AM   #24
Head Chef

Freeze the meals for the second and third day--they will keep everything cool, but be defrosted by the time you want to use them. I generally freeze my bottled water too, and use it instead of ice in the cooler. Nice cold water to drink on the road is great.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:51 PM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
Pasties
+1

Also, why not grill a couple steak over fire and freeze them. They're flat, and stack nicely when frozen. To reheat, simply nuke until they're hot. Frozen burritos, frozen chicken, frozen steamed veggies, frozen soups, even frozen mac and cheese will work. Don't forget frozen pizza. I mean, how can you go wrong with frozen home-made-pizza?

Frozen pork chops with frozen veggies, and frozen smashed sweet spuds.

Just don't freeze things with gravy as freezing does funny things to gravy, execpt sunday gravy of course. Oh, and that's another couple of ideas, frozen lasagna, spaghetti, manicotti, enchiladas, egg rolls, rice, all reheat very nicely. Frozen fruit pies are great for desert. You can either nuke until hot, or just thaw and eat.

Frozen, cooked fish and seafood is good, especially with rice.

That's a couple ideas for you.

If you want something less fussy, make up some jerky with various kinds of meat, and some fruit leather. You can eat it while on the road.

Hope that helps.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:30 PM   #26
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
Freeze the meals for the second and third day--they will keep everything cool, but be defrosted by the time you want to use them. I generally freeze my bottled water too, and use it instead of ice in the cooler. Nice cold water to drink on the road is great.
There's a good thought, DON'T freeze the first nights meal
That's the idea I was thinking of too, freezing the meals to help with keeping the cooler cold along the 4 day trek from Arizona to Michigan. We will arrive on the fourth day, so that's why the need for only 3 dinners.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:35 PM   #27
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
+1

Also, why not grill a couple steak over fire and freeze them. They're flat, and stack nicely when frozen. To reheat, simply nuke until they're hot. Frozen burritos, frozen chicken, frozen steamed veggies, frozen soups, even frozen mac and cheese will work. Don't forget frozen pizza. I mean, how can you go wrong with frozen home-made-pizza?

Frozen pork chops with frozen veggies, and frozen smashed sweet spuds.

Just don't freeze things with gravy as freezing does funny things to gravy, execpt sunday gravy of course. Oh, and that's another couple of ideas, frozen lasagna, spaghetti, manicotti, enchiladas, egg rolls, rice, all reheat very nicely. Frozen fruit pies are great for desert. You can either nuke until hot, or just thaw and eat.

Frozen, cooked fish and seafood is good, especially with rice.

That's a couple ideas for you.

If you want something less fussy, make up some jerky with various kinds of meat, and some fruit leather. You can eat it while on the road.

Hope that helps.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
STEAK!! I grill steaks about once a week along with the veg, there's one meal!
AND...
PIZZA, YEAH BABY!! That can be our first night's supper on the road. That would be super comforting for DH after a long days drive, he goes crazy for my home made pizza, and that I won't freeze, as sparrow suggested, just keep it cold is good.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:44 PM   #28
Head Chef

Our breakfast will be courtesy of our hotels (mostly Best Western) en route.
Mid-morning snacks are typically fruits that have been washed and cut up, along with maybe some cheese and crackers, as we motor down the Interstates.
For lunch, we will find a nice place to stop each day for a well needed break from the car and a picnic of sandwiches, fruit and chips. I always have something to cover nasty picnic tables and benches as well as extra rag-towels for any clean-ups.
While in Yellowstone NP, we had company for many of our picnics

Name:	Our Great Western Adventure 170.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	22949
Old 06-08-2015, 05:57 PM   #29
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
For a three day trip, they shouldn't have an issue, but for a longer trip, dry ice is great. On one raft supported kayak trip on the Middle Fork of the Salmon River in Idaho, each of us on the trip was in charge of one evening meal. I took chili con carne with beans, packed in Seal-a-Meal packs and frozen. My meal was planned for the 5th night on the river, and it had to be taken out of the cooler right after lunch to thaw or it would have been still hard as a brick that evening.

With a good cooler, it takes surprisingly little ice or frozen meals to keep food cold for 3 days. One advantage to using the frozen meals themselves and frozen bottles of water for cooling is that you don't have to deal with melting ice. No need for sandwich meat and cheese etc., to be in totally watertight containers.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:13 PM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
[snip]

With a good cooler, it takes surprisingly little ice or frozen meals to keep food cold for 3 days. [snip]
Rick, which cooler do you use?
DH was just saying that he thinks we ought to buy a new one.

Tags
dinner ideas, frozen dinner, meals, recipe, road-trip