"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 06-10-2015, 09:17 AM   #31
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Rick, which cooler do you use?
DH was just saying that he thinks we ought to buy a new one.
Well, size is important, but I have one that was branded Oscar that I have been using since the mid 80's. I think it was called the Super Oscar, and holds enough for me and my wife for a couple of days if we are careful (when I bought it I was single and used it for my weekends in the mountains). As long as I don't open it any more than really necessary, it keeps frozen stuff cold for 2 or 3 days with no problem. I usually pack sodas or juices in a smaller cooler on ice so that I don't have to open the food cooler as often.

We also have a larger Igloo with 2 wheels that we use more now for road trips to give ourselves more options. I tried one of those plug into the lighter/power outlet ones, but the one I had was not terribly good at cooling. An ice chest worked better.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:51 PM   #32
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
My adorable husband and I just got back from Northern Arizona, visiting with Mr.&Mrs. DF and we stay in a hotel nearby (it's just easier that way) and we were having our complimentary breakfast in the hotel. I asked DH how much our hotel room costs us, and then I figured that by having this free breakfast, we're saving at least $25 USD off the top by taking advantage of that.
Lunch, so there's another $25, but we spend maybe $2-3 a piece for sandwiches and the accompaniments in stead.
Dinner, WOWZER! There's a good $50 for the two of us if we ate in a restaurant, as apposed to my takealong idea, which would cost us, what? Maybe $5 for both of us...
So, let's do some cipherin' there Jethro!
$25 - $3 = $22 x 4days
$50 - $5 = $45 x 3days
plus the $25 x 4d breakfast savings...
That's a total savings of $323, HEH!!! That could pay for our hotel rooms and then some along that 4 day trek!!

Old 06-12-2015, 08:13 PM   #33
Head Chef

My adorable husband and I just got back from Northern Arizona, visiting with Mr.&Mrs. DF and we stay in a hotel nearby (it's just easier that way) and we were having our complimentary breakfast in the hotel. I figured that by having this free breakfast, we're saving at least $18USD

So I got ta thinkin' about our road trip to Michigan...

Lunch out, there's another $25, but we spend maybe $2-3 a piece for sandwiches and the accompaniments instead.

Dinner, WOWZER! There's a good $45 for the two of us if we ate in a restaurant, as apposed to my takealong idea, which would cost us maybe $5 to make-ahead for both of us.

Lunch: $25 - $3 = $22 x 4days = $88
Dinner: $45 - $5 = $40 x 3days = $120
plus that $18 x 4d = $72 breakfast savings...
That's a total savings of $280, HEH!!! That could pay for our hotel rooms on that 4 day trek!!
(I just showed this to my husband and he's real excited about this)
Old 06-14-2015, 08:30 PM   #34
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
My adorable husband and I just got back from Northern Arizona, visiting with Mr.&Mrs. DF and we stay in a hotel nearby (it's just easier that way) and we were having our complimentary breakfast in the hotel. I asked DH how much our hotel room costs us, and then I figured that by having this free breakfast, we're saving at least $25 USD off the top by taking advantage of that.
Lunch, so there's another $25, but we spend maybe $2-3 a piece for sandwiches and the accompaniments in stead.
Dinner, WOWZER! There's a good $50 for the two of us if we ate in a restaurant, as apposed to my takealong idea, which would cost us, what? Maybe $5 for both of us...
$25 - $3 = $22 x 4days
$50 - $5 = $45 x 3days
plus the $25 x 4d breakfast savings...
That's a total savings of $323, HEH!!! That could pay for our hotel rooms and then some along that 4 day trek!!
This is odd, why did the system post this do you wonder? I only hit submit on the next post...
Old 06-14-2015, 08:33 PM   #35
Head Chef

Does anyone else have ideas?
I still need a couple more thoughts (or more)
before I start to put together a menu for the road trip.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:11 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Driving cross country twice we had a small Styrofoam cooler. Bought a bag of ice and a small jar of mayo and mustard. Also a large loaf of bread. Along the way we would stop and buy sandwich stuff. Canned tuna, celery, chicken, etc. I would make the sandwiches as we were driving. And if anyone got hungry between meals, they could make a sandwich to hold them over until the next big meal. We would stop along the way and pull out the small Hibachi grill along with the small bag of briquets. Just enough to grill a piece of meat for each of us. (three people) By the time the meat was cooked, the briquets were cold enough to dump and if not there was always water in the bottom of the cooler from the melted ice. We had the ability to make hot meals and cold ones. What you bring depends of your means to prepare it. And the ability to keep some foods cold. Planning on stopping on the way to make fresh purchases should also be part of your plan. We took full advantage of using rest stops. Some of them were really nice and some we ate in a hurry and scrammed out of there. One that we stopped at appeared to be a meeting place for males to find male mates and then head into the woods. Certainly not geared for families.

Tags
dinner ideas, frozen dinner, meals, recipe, road-trip