"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2015, 08:17 AM   #31
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Rick, which cooler do you use?
DH was just saying that he thinks we ought to buy a new one.
Well, size is important, but I have one that was branded Oscar that I have been using since the mid 80's. I think it was called the Super Oscar, and holds enough for me and my wife for a couple of days if we are careful (when I bought it I was single and used it for my weekends in the mountains). As long as I don't open it any more than really necessary, it keeps frozen stuff cold for 2 or 3 days with no problem. I usually pack sodas or juices in a smaller cooler on ice so that I don't have to open the food cooler as often.

We also have a larger Igloo with 2 wheels that we use more now for road trips to give ourselves more options. I tried one of those plug into the lighter/power outlet ones, but the one I had was not terribly good at cooling. An ice chest worked better.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:51 PM   #32
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
My adorable husband and I just got back from Northern Arizona, visiting with Mr.&Mrs. DF and we stay in a hotel nearby (it's just easier that way) and we were having our complimentary breakfast in the hotel. I asked DH how much our hotel room costs us, and then I figured that by having this free breakfast, we're saving at least $25 USD off the top by taking advantage of that.
Lunch, so there's another $25, but we spend maybe $2-3 a piece for sandwiches and the accompaniments in stead.
Dinner, WOWZER! There's a good $50 for the two of us if we ate in a restaurant, as apposed to my takealong idea, which would cost us, what? Maybe $5 for both of us...
So, let's do some cipherin' there Jethro!
$25 - $3 = $22 x 4days
$50 - $5 = $45 x 3days
plus the $25 x 4d breakfast savings...
That's a total savings of $323, HEH!!! That could pay for our hotel rooms and then some along that 4 day trek!!

Old 06-12-2015, 07:13 PM   #33
Head Chef

My adorable husband and I just got back from Northern Arizona, visiting with Mr.&Mrs. DF and we stay in a hotel nearby (it's just easier that way) and we were having our complimentary breakfast in the hotel. I figured that by having this free breakfast, we're saving at least $18USD

So I got ta thinkin' about our road trip to Michigan...

Lunch out, there's another $25, but we spend maybe $2-3 a piece for sandwiches and the accompaniments instead.

Dinner, WOWZER! There's a good $45 for the two of us if we ate in a restaurant, as apposed to my takealong idea, which would cost us maybe $5 to make-ahead for both of us.

Lunch: $25 - $3 = $22 x 4days = $88
Dinner: $45 - $5 = $40 x 3days = $120
plus that $18 x 4d = $72 breakfast savings...
That's a total savings of $280, HEH!!! That could pay for our hotel rooms on that 4 day trek!!
(I just showed this to my husband and he's real excited about this)
Old 06-14-2015, 07:30 PM   #34
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
My adorable husband and I just got back from Northern Arizona, visiting with Mr.&Mrs. DF and we stay in a hotel nearby (it's just easier that way) and we were having our complimentary breakfast in the hotel. I asked DH how much our hotel room costs us, and then I figured that by having this free breakfast, we're saving at least $25 USD off the top by taking advantage of that.
Lunch, so there's another $25, but we spend maybe $2-3 a piece for sandwiches and the accompaniments in stead.
Dinner, WOWZER! There's a good $50 for the two of us if we ate in a restaurant, as apposed to my takealong idea, which would cost us, what? Maybe $5 for both of us...
$25 - $3 = $22 x 4days
$50 - $5 = $45 x 3days
plus the $25 x 4d breakfast savings...
That's a total savings of $323, HEH!!! That could pay for our hotel rooms and then some along that 4 day trek!!
This is odd, why did the system post this do you wonder? I only hit submit on the next post...
Old 06-14-2015, 07:33 PM   #35
Head Chef

Does anyone else have ideas?
I still need a couple more thoughts (or more)
before I start to put together a menu for the road trip.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:11 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Driving cross country twice we had a small Styrofoam cooler. Bought a bag of ice and a small jar of mayo and mustard. Also a large loaf of bread. Along the way we would stop and buy sandwich stuff. Canned tuna, celery, chicken, etc. I would make the sandwiches as we were driving. And if anyone got hungry between meals, they could make a sandwich to hold them over until the next big meal. We would stop along the way and pull out the small Hibachi grill along with the small bag of briquets. Just enough to grill a piece of meat for each of us. (three people) By the time the meat was cooked, the briquets were cold enough to dump and if not there was always water in the bottom of the cooler from the melted ice. We had the ability to make hot meals and cold ones. What you bring depends of your means to prepare it. And the ability to keep some foods cold. Planning on stopping on the way to make fresh purchases should also be part of your plan. We took full advantage of using rest stops. Some of them were really nice and some we ate in a hurry and scrammed out of there. One that we stopped at appeared to be a meeting place for males to find male mates and then head into the woods. Certainly not geared for families.
Old 05-13-2017, 01:01 PM   #37
Assistant Cook

I notice a lot of folks have suggested frozen items but on a long road trip keeping them frozen is a real issue. They won't stay frozen in a standard cooler. A friend and I did many such trips to bird watch and cooked most suppers in motel rooms. Some of our trips were over 100 days. My advice may make more sense for over 3 days but I still think trying to transport frozen meals in a cooler is risky.

Yes, microwaves are great but I think you may want to schlep an electric frying pan and a small toaster oven. With these, you greatly expand your cooking options. Access to supermarkets will allow you to cook many things with these that really don't work in a microwave, e.g. chicken.

Though we both preferred real mayonnaise we found Miracle Whip survived the vicissitudes of life in a cooler better. Things like pickle relish and mustard survive a cooler fairly well. Keep track of what things you use frequently to cook and plan on packing these, e.g. salt, pepper, cinnamon, etc. Remember, too, though, not to over pack. If you can get it in a supermarket you needn't worry about having forgotten it.

As to knives, we packed a chef knife and two steak knives. The steak knives can do most of what a paring knife does. If you expect to need to peel veggies, bring a peeler. Again, if you find you need a specific kind of knife you can pick a cheap one up in a supermarket along the way. Bring a plastic cutting board. I'd suggest a rigid one because it adds a solid work surface for places with little work space. You can always work on a rigid cutting board on a bed or in your lap if you have to. A large stirring spoon and a spatula will come in handy.

Do bring real flatware. Using plastic flatware long term is likely to drive you up the drapes. Also a couple of real coffee mugs. You can use these both for hot or cold drinks and for things like soup or cereal.

Now, you are likely to look at things a little differently at the supermarket. Whereas you might make your cornbread from scratch at home, on the road Jiffy mixes are your friend. You will buy small jars rather than large. Look to things like cooking sauces.
You'd be amazed how good noodles, frozen mixed veg and some chicken cooked with a bottle of teriyaki sauce tastes in the middle of nowhere! Frozen "skillet meals" will taste better than they would at home. And for those, the electric skillet works great.

If you are used to eating homemade stuff at home, watch the sodium load of packaged foods on the road. Make sure to hydrate and consume lots of baby carrots, grapes, etc., as snacks along the way rather than salty crackers.

Finally, don't drive yourself crazy over-planning. You can always adjust along the way by stopping at supermarkets and big-box stores.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:12 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidiCooksSupper View Post
I notice a lot of folks have suggested frozen items but on a long road trip keeping them frozen is a real issue. They won't stay frozen in a standard cooler.
Hi, Heidi. Welcome to Discuss Cooking

That's kind of the idea The frozen meals will thaw over a day or two and when they're thawed, you eat them. DH and I have done this several times. When I'm traveling all day, the last thing I want to do is go shopping and cook in the hotel room. And I believe most hotels don't allow cooking in the rooms. But to each their own
Old 05-13-2017, 07:35 PM   #39
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidiCooksSupper View Post
.... snipped ...

Finally, don't drive yourself crazy over-planning. You can always adjust along the way by stopping at supermarkets and big-box stores.
ALOHA!
Welcome Heidi to DC!!

As to your post, yes, I have adapted most of your suggestions in the past two years since the original post, as we take road trips ALOT!!
AP Knife, cutting board, basic spices, Oil&Vinegar, regulation plates/cups/bowls & cutlery (along with plastic/paper too), sugar, creamer, instant (Starbuck's) coffee, bottled water & juices (oh and don't forget the wine I take a case of water and a case of TJ's Three-Buck-Chuck ), and then the starter frozen meals for about 3-4 dinners. Snacks are strictly regulated to fruits, nuts and cheese (well maybe the occasional tin or two of homemade baked goods).
Oh, and don't forget some dish soap and laundry soap (along with rolls of quarters)! I always throw in 2-3 rags too, just in case.

I do draw the line at taking along a toaster oven and electric skillet though.

As GG mentioned, most hotel/motels frown on "cooking" in your room... micro though is okey-dokey.... and this is why we take along frozen meals that I have prepared long before blast off.

Also mentioned, after a long day in the car, the last thing I want to do is
A) look for a market
B) shop
C) prepare a meal
Which is why I was looking for ideas for meals I could make ahead, freeze SOLID and pack for the road.
I am always looking for new recipes for frozen-take-along meals ... We like chopped salads when traveling during the warmer weather, that's why I take Oil&Vinegar, oh and a mason jar to mix to up with

Some places that we've gone to have charcoal grills; if I know this ahead of time, I bring along a bag of Match-Light and I have one of those grill mates and tongs; I always have matches in the car, a make-shift table cloth and napkins and paper towels.

One of the reasons we prefer road trips is that, there is no over packing. We don't have to worry about weight limits or baggage fees, love it! A weeks worth of clothes and starter supplies; we're good to GO!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Our Great Western Adventure 001.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	26857

Click image for larger version

Name:	Our Great Western Adventure 003.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	26858
Old 05-15-2017, 06:44 PM   #40
Master Chef

Want gourmet? If you are going to be at a place where you can have a fire pit. Purchase 1 small turkey. Make a tripod out of stout wood. After cleaning the bird, place the drumstick ends into the little plastic holder at the cavity opening. Run a stick between the body and the legs so that you can lift the bird with the stick. Tie strong twine to the stick ends and attach the middle to the twine to a hook at the apex of the tripod. Build a good cooking fire with log=ts of coals and place the bird close. Give it a slow twirl. It will spin one way, then the other for some time. When it slows down, give it another slow spin. Let the bird cook while you are breaking camp. Clean some mall rocks and let them heat in the fire while the bird is cooking. When he skin is browned, remove the bird and fill the cavity with the hot rocks. Wrap tightly in aluminum foil, and then in a couple of good blankets, or place it into an empty ice chest after wrapping in foil. As you then drive to your next destination, the hot rocks will cook the bird from the inside out, giving you a yummy turkey for your next meal.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinner ideas, frozen dinner, meals, recipe, road-trip