ISO Recipes For Takealong Road Trip Hot Meals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
My husband and I are planning another very long road trip across the country (the USA) and this time I really want to be much more prepared when it comes to meals.

Our Great Western Adventure 054.JPG

On our last automobile adventure I packed lunch items, such as breads, individual chip packages, fruits, cut-up veggies, desserts and drinks. I didn’t plan any dinners though, but this go around, I want to have 3 different, comforting, semi-healthful, filling hot meals to easily re-heat in a microwave oven in the hotels that we stopped at.
We’ll be driving all day, stopping for just the night and then moving on to the next city and doing this three separate times on the way out (our final destination will be Michigan).
We DO NOT want to have to eat at any restaurants believe it or not, we want to simply relax for the evening, get cleaned up, some grub and shut-eye, no fuss, no muss.
Of course this will call for paper plates and plastic utensils; I will also pack a mixing bowl, a good sharp knife and flexible cutting board. I include McCormick Salt and Pepper grinders for seasoning too.
I own a Food Saver, in which I can vacuum seal pre-homemade, frozen entrées and pack them in coolers.
I’m hoping that the members of DC can pass along some terrific ideas, as well the recipe, for me to make ahead and take along on this trek… we haven’t come up with a trip name as yet, but it can’t out do “Our Great Western Adventure”.

Sounds like a fun trip, kgirl!

Just off the top of my head for make ahead and vacuum seal portioned meals...chili freezes well, and if you took along some potatoes to steam in the microwave, you'd have a meal right there...chili topped potatoes.

Lasagna - either meat and pasta based, or veggie lasagna...those freeze well, you could make a pan or two before you leave, cut into squares, and portion freeze.

Chicken...you could grill or roast some chicken, and freeze it in portion bags. Lots of things you could do with some ready chopped chicken to warm up in the microwave.

So, what you are looking for is meals you can make at home, freeze, and then just nuke 'em in your hotel room?

The only thing that comes to mind is stew or chili or a curry. I'll think about it.

But, I just noticed an Indian ready to eat meal in my kitchen. These are meals that are shelf stable and come in a sealed bag, inside a box. They are quite good and made of all natural ingredients. There are a number of brands that make this stuff. Most of it is vegetarian. A couple of packs and some rice makes a meal or it makes a good side dish. Here's one brand that we like: Products - Tasty Bite. I'm pretty sure you can nuke in the bag. Some of the brands have foil bags, so you gotta pour it into a microwave safe container.

Hmm. I agree with the above ideas. Also, in the food saver bag, Tater tot casserole, tuna casserole, various soups in cottage cheese containers. Lunch meat, (maybe some Spam!), bread, cheese, lettuce, mayo and mustard. A can or two of tuna or chicken.

Last edited:
Dawg...spam - great idea!

Which just brought me to another suggestion - split pea soup with chopped spam. Freeze in muffin tins and portion out in your foodsaver. Made ahead corn muffins, and you've got a great microwaveable dinner. You could do white bean soup, too. :yum: Healthy and filling.

Last edited:
OK, K-girl, I must ask. When DH and I do roadtrips, one of our biggest pleasures is eating at restaurants along the way. What gives? I figure nobody cares what I look like, smell like, etc., as I'm probably never going to see them again.

Last edited:
I like the idea of taking a few supermarket shelf stable items that you can heat and eat or jazz up with a few simple ingredients. Maybe a three can casserole of some type, the combinations are endless. A can of chicken, tuna or ham, a can of mushrooms, veg-all or green beans and a can of cream of something soup. Mix it up and nuke it until it is bubbly. Serve over crushed corn chips, instant mashed potatoes or rice.

How about nachos, quesadillas or tacos? The cooking/prep work could be done at home and the microwave could be used to melt cheese or reheat the precooked meat and beans.

Pack a bag of precooked bacon for a quick BLT or a plate of microwave scrambled eggs. The eggs can be plain or dressed up with some cheese and veggies.

I would also consider swinging into any good sized supermarket and grabbing a rotisserie chicken, salad and dessert. It would provide a no fuss dinner and leftovers for lunch the following day.

A bowl of your favorite cereal with milk and a banana can be a great dinner when all you want to do is eat and fall into bed.

I would also leave some room in your plan for foods you may see along the road. I have always enjoyed stopping at roadside stands, small bakeries, specialty markets etc...

Maybe you will luck out and find some fresh sweet corn!

Easiest Way to Microwave Corn on the Cob | SimplyRecipes.com

If you have room in the vehicle consider packing a cooler, pantry box and a kitchen box. I used to travel with a small toaster oven and an electric coffee pot in my kitchen box. My aunt used to travel with a blender, for happy hour, and a small canned ham in hers. Take whatever works for you and your family.

Last edited:
Hey there KGirl!

Your trip sounds wonderful.

My first suggestion is to take along 2 of your dinner plates and sets of flatware. They don't take up much room, and are much nicer to use than plastic utensils and paper plates.

For easy meals I was thinking of burritos. Making your own and freezing would be healthy.

I'll get back to you with other ideas, I just have to wake all the way up first!:sleep:

OK, K-girl, I must ask. When DH and I do roadtrips, one of our biggest pleasures is eating at restaurants along the way. What gives? I figure nobody cares what I look like, smell like, etc., as I'm probably never going to see them again.

I'm in with this too. I like stopping in at local restaurants in smaller towns, both for the local foods and because you can get some ideas of things to see or do in the area that only the local folks know. Lunch I like to take stuff for sandwiches and fruit, etc., and find a nice spot along the way to stop. For supper I'd rather not have the hassle after a long day of driving and sightseeing.

My FiL and MiL used to take some great road trips, and half of the things they did were on the recommendations of servers and customers they met in local eateries.

Sounds like a fun trip, kgirl!

Just off the top of my head for make ahead and vacuum seal portioned meals...chili freezes well, and if you took along some potatoes to steam in the microwave, you'd have a meal right there...chili topped potatoes.

Lasagna - either meat and pasta based, or veggie lasagna...those freeze well, you could make a pan or two before you leave, cut into squares, and portion freeze.

Chicken...you could grill or roast some chicken, and freeze it in portion bags. Lots of things you could do with some ready chopped chicken to warm up in the microwave.

Cheryl, those were my first thoughts as well, pre-cooked boneless chicken would have a multitude of applications, right?

Ya got 12 bucks American?

Manifold Destiny

:LOL: Sir, I was thinking more along the lines of re-heating our meals in the `micro rather than on the manafold...

So, what you are looking for is meals you can make at home, freeze, and then just nuke 'em in your hotel room?

The only thing that comes to mind is stew or chili or a curry. I'll think about it.

But, I just noticed an Indian ready to eat meal in my kitchen. These are meals that are shelf stable and come in a sealed bag, inside a box. They are quite good and made of all natural ingredients. There are a number of brands that make this stuff. Most of it is vegetarian. A couple of packs and some rice makes a meal or it makes a good side dish. Here's one brand that we like: Products - Tasty Bite. I'm pretty sure you can nuke in the bag. Some of the brands have foil bags, so you gotta pour it into a microwave safe container.

Taxlady, I want to try really hard to stay away from those shelf-stable meals and pre-make my own healthful meals, any thought on that?

Hmm. I agree with the above ideas. Also, in the food saver bag, Tater tot casserole, tuna casserole, various soups in cottage cheese containers. Lunch meat, (maybe some Spam!), bread, cheese, lettuce, mayo and mustard. A can or two of tuna or chicken.

MMM, me-likey Tuna Casserole!

Dawg...spam - great idea!

Which just brought me to another suggestion - split pea soup with chopped spam. Freeze in muffin tins and portion out in your foodsaver. Made ahead corn muffins, and you've got a great microwaveable dinner. You could do white bean soup, too. :yum: Healthy and filling.

... and how did you folks know that we like Spam? ;)

S&P, would pasties heat up well in the microwave? not gummy and nasty-like?

I'm in with this too. I like stopping in at local restaurants in smaller towns, both for the local foods and because you can get some ideas of things to see or do in the area that only the local folks know. Lunch I like to take stuff for sandwiches and fruit, etc., and find a nice spot along the way to stop. For supper I'd rather not have the hassle after a long day of driving and sightseeing.

My FiL and MiL used to take some great road trips, and half of the things they did were on the recommendations of servers and customers they met in local eateries.

Don't get us wrong guys, both DH and I LOVE to eat out in small Mom&Pop type joints, chat up the locals, etc, but we need to make a bee-line for Michigan and then on the way back home, we'll do all that... that's be another thread in it's self, later on. For now though any and all semi-healthful meal ideas you folks could throw my way is greatly appreciated.

I like the idea of taking a few supermarket shelf stable items that you can heat and eat or jazz up with a few simple ingredients. Maybe a three can casserole of some type, the combinations are endless. A can of chicken, tuna or ham, a can of mushrooms, veg-all or green beans and a can of cream of something soup. Mix it up and nuke it until it is bubbly. Serve over crushed corn chips, instant mashed potatoes or rice.

How about nachos, quesadillas or tacos? The cooking/prep work could be done at home and the microwave could be used to melt cheese or reheat the precooked meat and beans.

Pack a bag of precooked bacon for a quick BLT or a plate of microwave scrambled eggs. The eggs can be plain or dressed up with some cheese and veggies.

I would also consider swinging into any good sized supermarket and grabbing a rotisserie chicken, salad and dessert. It would provide a no fuss dinner and leftovers for lunch the following day.

A bowl of your favorite cereal with milk and a banana can be a great dinner when all you want to do is eat and fall into bed.

I would also leave some room in your plan for foods you may see along the road. I have always enjoyed stopping at roadside stands, small bakeries, specialty markets etc...

Maybe you will luck out and find some fresh sweet corn!

Easiest Way to Microwave Corn on the Cob | SimplyRecipes.com

If you have room in the vehicle consider packing a cooler, pantry box and a kitchen box. I used to travel with a small toaster oven and an electric coffee pot in my kitchen box. My aunt used to travel with a blender, for happy hour, and a small canned ham in hers. Take whatever works for you and your family.

WOW Aunt Bea, all terrific ideas, I have a spread sheet started.

Hey there KGirl!

Your trip sounds wonderful.

My first suggestion is to take along 2 of your dinner plates and sets of flatware. They don't take up much room, and are much nicer to use than plastic utensils and paper plates.

For easy meals I was thinking of burritos. Making your own and freezing would be healthy.

I'll get back to you with other ideas, I just have to wake all the way up first!:sleep:

Aloha Z!!
You're right, we should leave the smallest carbon foot print along our journey as we can. I'll take along some of our Corelle dishes and some 'dollar store' utensils (heh, don't the $ store, my travel knife was one buck and it's still as sharp as ever after seven years and countless road trips, it even went to Hawaii with us on this last fight). We also take our own coffee mugs, so...

Here's a thought too for something different from the stew/chili and other one dish items: Make a batch of barbecued pork or beef, freeze the already sauced up meat, then take along buns and some home made cole slaw (all you have to heat up is the meat), or maybe a package of frozen corn for a side. Quick and easy and little mess.

How about pre-cooked grilled sausage, bell peppers and onions (I found a great chicken-apple sausage once) and pre-cooked pasta in separate zipper bags? Reheat, drizzle with olive oil and red wine vinegar and eat up!

Salads in a jar would be perfect for this: http://letslassothemoon.com/2014/12/20/mason-jar-recipes/

If your trip is only for a few days, you don't even need to freeze things. It will take a while to thaw and then heat. Just keep the food very cold in coolers.

Leftover slices of meatloaf, with some ketchup or gravy. The salads in a jar are a good idea.

A side note, we've had hotel rooms next to people who've cooked in their rooms, and they stunk up the whole place! So not a bad idea to cook less "aromatically".

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that I did mention that I'll make our desserts to takw along:
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/2013/10/02/did-i-forget-something/
We love our cookies!

Here's a thought too for something different from the stew/chili and other one dish items: Make a batch of barbecued pork or beef, freeze the already sauced up meat, then take along buns and some home made cole slaw (all you have to heat up is the meat), or maybe a package of frozen corn for a side. Quick and easy and little mess.

Rick, that sounds amazing! That goes on the list too, for sure.

How about pre-cooked grilled sausage, bell peppers and onions (I found a great chicken-apple sausage once) and pre-cooked pasta in separate zipper bags? Reheat, drizzle with olive oil and red wine vinegar and eat up!

Salads in a jar would be perfect for this: - 30 Mason Jar Recipes: Delicious "Salad in a Jar" Recipes

If your trip is only for a few days, you don't even need to freeze things. It will take a while to thaw and then heat. Just keep the food very cold in coolers.

GG, I was thinking salad, but never thought about putting it a jar before, brilliant!

Leftover slices of meatloaf, with some ketchup or gravy. The salads in a jar are a good idea.

A side note, we've had hotel rooms next to people who've cooked in their rooms, and they stunk up the whole place! So not a bad idea to cook less "aromatically".

MEATLOAF, YEAH! The husband unit loves my meatloaf!

Back
Top Bottom