"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 06-25-2007, 03:14 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Smile ITALY - Bologna?

My husband has to go to Italy for training on an x-ray unit his company sold & I'M GOIN' WITH HIM!! We'll be leaving the first week in August. Poor guy's class starts Monday morning which means he'll be starting class 2am our time! Meanwhile, I'm back at the hotel with no clue what to do. I checked with AAA & there are no tours that go out to the other cities which are about a 3-4 hour train ride away. I was told to check with the hotel & they should have suggestions, but I was looking for an insider's opinion. We'll also be looking for something to do & somewhere to eat, once he gets out of class.

Ideas?

Old 06-25-2007, 04:21 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Check out the Trattoria alongside the Carabinieri Station. The American University in Bologna also had some pretty good reviews. Watchout for the Commies!

Seriously, you migh want to look at:
Bologna Restaurant Reviews, Restaurants in Bologna, Ratings - SideStep

Scope out several places by having early lunch there and then return with DH at 8 if you liked lunch.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:35 AM   #3
Senior Cook

The website looks really interesting. Thanks for sending it!

When was the last time you were there? Are the people pretty fluid in English? I've been going through the Rosetta on-line language program, so I'll at least be familiar with some phrases. I'm really looking forward to trying the different foods & wines. I just hope my husband isn't too tired after class to do some site seeing. The time change is going to be really rough on him.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:10 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Lynan
Bologna Forum - TripAdvisor

TripAdviser is brilliant for all kinds of info on any city/country in the world, from people who have been there and are offering their experience.

Have a wonderful time!!

Lyn
Old 07-14-2007, 10:11 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
Ciao Dancer,
I am not sure if you are a fan of Rick Steves (PBS), I like the way he advises about travelling thru Europe, here is a link with articles related to Bologna:
Rick Steves Europe: Site Search
If you like cars or Formula 1, visit Maranello.. specifically "Ristorante Cavallino" and the "Maranello Rosso" (the Ferrari Museum)
Not sure if you will be able to travel on a weekend, but remember that Venice is about 80 miles from Bologna (you can go by train)
Enjoy your trip!
Old 07-15-2007, 07:53 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful websites! I'm really looking forward to my trip. We'll be leaving August 4, so I've got plenty of time to figure out what to do & where to go.

I'll post a message when I get back & let you all know how everything went!

Arrivederci!
Old 07-16-2007, 07:53 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Ciao, Mi chiamo Rom.
Come stai?
:)
Old 07-16-2007, 07:58 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg
Not sure if you will be able to travel on a weekend, but remember that Venice is about 80 miles from Bologna (you can go by train)
Enjoy your trip!
Yes, Dancer, I highly recommend Venice. Hope you can get there and if you do, try to take a quick side trip to visit Murano and its glassblowers. Beautiful. I'm jealous. Hope you have a wonderful time.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:38 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom
Ciao, Mi chiamo Rom.
Come stai?
:)
Sto bene! Mi chiamo Debbie. Piacere!

That's about the extent of my Italian without looking at the book. I'm really getting excited about going, but I've got to get my language down with the basics. I just hope I put the right emPHAsis on the correct syLLAble! I wouldn't want to say something embarrassing!
Old 07-20-2007, 07:42 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E
Yes, Dancer, I highly recommend Venice. Hope you can get there and if you do, try to take a quick side trip to visit Murano and its glassblowers. Beautiful. I'm jealous. Hope you have a wonderful time.
I would absolutely LOVE to go to Venice, but I understand it's a 2 hour train trip away. My DH will be in training all day & we only have the evenings together. Not much time to go anywhere, so we'll have to make do with what's in Bologna. I understand there are some wonderful museums & architecture to look at & some wonderful restaurants to try. I always look forward to trying different foods. Wonder how much better real Italian pizza is as compared to say NY pizza, which in my opinion is the best I had ever had!

Tags
italy