"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 04-16-2007, 11:37 AM   #31
Head Chef

;) ;) DH is on my case......the book I was meqant to be working on when we decided on this mad adventure is artistic dust now...lol

Its not far on the train from Verona at all (do you fly/drive/train on holiday in Italy??) I love Italian trains...I'm back to Modena next week to pull my friend's horses manes for her, but I'm driving this time....get a different view from the train and I'm only going for the day so need to be really flexible with time.

On the beaten track....which is most of the main part of Venice it all looks rip off tourist food...and really thick US style pizza was everywhere too, made me smile....but its tough when people eat at those places and claim knowledge of Italian cuisine....as if MacDonalds could tell you about US cuisine, or chain pubs in UK reveal much about real British food. I'm not surprised tourists are disappointed though!

Go, go, go Charlie....write the name of the Osteria down...I'm going to get DH to scan a map in so I can post it, its just how Venice should be I think!

Old 04-16-2007, 12:01 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu
;) ;) DH is on my case......the book I was meqant to be working on when we decided on this mad adventure is artistic dust now...lol

Its not far on the train from Verona at all (do you fly/drive/train on holiday in Italy??) I love Italian trains...I'm back to Modena next week to pull my friend's horses manes for her, but I'm driving this time....get a different view from the train and I'm only going for the day so need to be really flexible with time.
We (well, Cris to be exact) always drive to go on holidays, on the way to Trentino we pass right by Verona, and I am pretty sure there is a junction where the motorway branches off in the direction of Venice. Trentino is a strongest possibility IF we get to squeeze in any holiday this summer, so I will strongly remind Cris about a stop over at Venice if we go!! I also heard that Italian railway service is pretty decent, though I have never been on it. Sometimes it is quite tempting to just hop on it myself to have a visit to Firenze for a day trip, as if I wait for Cris to find the time this may never happen!!

Quote:
On the beaten track....which is most of the main part of Venice it all looks rip off tourist food...and really thick US style pizza was everywhere too, made me smile....but its tough when people eat at those places and claim knowledge of Italian cuisine....as if MacDonalds could tell you about US cuisine, or chain pubs in UK reveal much about real British food. I'm not surprised tourists are disappointed though!
You are exactly right... that's why you need to be equipped with some "behind the scene" savvy to find really good places, it is also the case in Rome. Yeah, I had heard people saying "Pizzas in Italy are not that good!!"... well I can pretty much guess the scenario!!

Quote:
Go, go, go Charlie....write the name of the Osteria down...I'm going to get DH to scan a map in so I can post it, its just how Venice should be I think!
Thanks Lulu!! Maybe someday we could actually co-write that book!!

Old 04-16-2007, 12:10 PM   #33
Head Chef

Veramente, the trains are excellent....but, my new travel tip is to use the all new book online service! It means you don't have to do that stamping thing on the platform....infact...you can have a next with the number code of your booking sent to your phone and that is ALL YOU NEED! Its so unbelievably not Italian to be true....the most efficient train tickets in the world, lol! I hate stamping on the buses, but on the train with rush its terrible...and you get reserved seats so try it AND it takes Italian roads out of the scenario too! Italian trains are a triumph of this country and show the society in a glowing light comapred with the behaviour of Brits on trains.....if you want restaurant recommendations/places to go in Firenze I'll get M to note some stuff down for you my Dear!
Old 04-26-2007, 09:58 AM   #34
Head Chef

Venezia pictures...

Not sure what the quality of these is like, I was hoping to wait till I had fixed my own screen, but hope some of these are visible at least. The first is dodgy I'm sure, but wanted to show you all the gorgeous quiet candle lit canal side restaurant I raved about. I have since read some online reviews of it, and I'm not the only person who adored it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Venezia1.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	2679   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ven2.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	2680  

Name:	Ven3.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	2681  
Old 04-26-2007, 10:03 AM   #35
Head Chef

Not sure how many I can put in a single post :) All of these photos so far are Venazia proper, not the outlying islands.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ven4.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	2682   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ven5.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	2683  

Name:	Ven6.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	2684  
Old 04-26-2007, 10:08 AM   #36
Head Chef

I'd also like to say I did take pictures of things other than food...but you know, I thought you might like these, lol.

I felt sorry for the lobsters. They were quite agitated tbh. Some were falling off the displays and trying to leg it. That was fairly unpleasant. I wish I didn't like lobster.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ven7.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	2685   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ven8.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	2686  

Name:	Ven9.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	2687  
Old 04-26-2007, 10:13 AM   #37
Head Chef

And a final one, how Murano gets there groceries! Buying your fruit and veg from a boat is romantic, but you have to hope you get a decent selection I guess!
I had a great meal last weekend near Bologna that I want to write up for you, but I need some translations and to check words with my DH!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Muranofood.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	2688  
Old 04-26-2007, 01:18 PM   #38
Head Chef

I concur with lulu's remarks about the Italian rail service. Long time since I used it, but I was travelling round Italy with my partner for a few months. Left our vehicle in the city where his sister was living and took a 3,000 km ticket, which we shared. Two people travel a hundred km, that leaves you with 2,800 km. Three of you then travel 500 km, that leaves you with 1,300 km. One of you then travels 800 km, that leaves you with 500 km. It was a fabulous way to travel. Met lots of people, stress-free (honestly) and surprisingly cheap, especially when you take into account the cost of fuel and tolls in Italy.

Love the photos, by the way, lulu. Love Italy, all in all.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:24 PM   #39
Head Chef

And its clean, and peaceful and calm, the train service.

I should add, the lonely looking guy on the right of the first photo is my DH cringing at me taking photos like a tourist, pmsl!
Old 04-27-2007, 06:33 AM   #40
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Mmmmm, what yummy pics!! "Non toccare?" va bene, I won't but I will eat them

Thanks for sharing, oh, I am drooling!!

Tags
italy