"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 07-21-2006, 02:01 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to RDG
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
I've only been to Milan once. We went to a small cafe-type place for lunch and had these AMAZING panninis and we ate there maybe 4 times. I also remember having some very mediocre chinese food there.

But mostly I remember the CRAZY driving and even CRAZIER parking!!

Buy insurance and have FUN!
Never been in Rome or Naples, I think.......

Old 07-21-2006, 02:16 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Lulu, I've met your huisband, but in these days weather has become worse: today, 42 degrees.....
Light supper? FRESH supper....
Ham and melon, ham and figs, Pasta salads, Buffalo mozzarella or burrata (do you know? I've explained Michael where to buy). A suggestion: try the open markets on the streets. (F.I, on Thursday morning, in Ampere street, underground Metro "Piola" Stop) and walk inside banks.
After six p.m, in bar there is the "happy hour": you can drink a cocktail or a beer and eat a lot of appetizer for a cheap sum (already done, with Michael: we say "when the cat is absent, mouses are dancing..".. )

Old 07-22-2006, 03:55 AM   #13
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Lynan
Red face

Jennyema....I remember being so happy to hear a Chinese restaurant had opened in Sondrio ( a town further down our valley) that I dragged the whole family there to try it out. Unfortunately, they had added olives to their fried rice!!! Probably to give the locals some kinda comfort food. Imagine Chinese pickled eggs in your pasta dish. The meal was very mediocre and my brother in law got us some take out from there a few weeks ago. Nothing has changed.
Old 07-22-2006, 04:07 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Red face

urmaniac13...good on you for making pizzoccheri from scratch. I had the luxury of either buying the noodles fresh, or my dear departed suocera made them and she was a maestra I can tell you! We can buy buckwheat flour in NZ but it is of inferior quality I am loath to admit. Also, I adore the dish with Bitto cheese. Lawdy what I would give for a hunk of that right now!
Old 08-11-2006, 05:18 PM   #15
Head Chef

Well, I finally arrived here, just as the Milanese left for their holidays, but even so I have eaten well! Vitello Milanese at a trattoria opposite our apartment, literally buried under a salad of rocket and the sweetest most frangrant cherry tomotos I have ever eaten! At the local Esselunga supermarket they smiled at the le inglesi buying four different types of tomato, which I am simply slicing and sprinkling the barest amount of salt and strong black pepper on before devouring for supper. I'll explore restaurants more when their owners return from the beaches and mountains, right now the supermarket is my shrine and there is so much to taste. I have not even got to my first Italian pasta, gnocchi or pizza because they quality of the basis ingrediants....the fruit and the vegetables is just so amazing. I could give up cooking at home if the fruit and veg tasted this good un-cooked and un fussed with!
Old 08-11-2006, 05:20 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

sounds like you are having fun, lulu. I'm envious.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:46 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Hey Lulu!! Good to see you have settled in with the natives.
And you are right, the flavours of the fruit and vegetables are amazing...especially at this time of year.

Did you get the link I sent you for the Expat site??
Old 08-12-2006, 05:50 AM   #18
Senior Cook

hihihi.... I'm one of the "natives".....
Lulu, pls, no pepper on tomatoes: only oregan, salt and oil.
Try this: pasta al dente, and over it pour a salad made with cherry tomatoes, minced salted ricotta ("ricotta salata", in order to find it at the Supermarket), fresh basil and just a bit of garlic. Oil and salt (here just a bit of pepper is allowed). Everything uncooked: hot pasta must be refreshed by salad.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:18 AM   #19
Sous Chef

Ooooooo RDG...I wouldn't be welcome at your table!! I love fresh ground pepper on my tomato's. And quite a lot. Also, I always prefer un po' di basilico rather than oregano with fresh ones but its all a matter of taste. When I was in Italy last, I ate that many Sardinian /Sicilian tomato's that Im sure I nearly turned into one They are WONDERFUL!!! They are the ones that are small, look a little wrinkled and have greenish tinges and stripes on them. I nearly wanted to smuggle some seeds back home.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:38 AM   #20
Senior Cook

Lynan, pls...all is a matter of taste... . Of course, welcome to pepper, if you like it.....
There are yet hot days, where you live? Try this: it is a recipe by the youngness of my father, in the deep south of Italy...
A dish with some iced water in.
A big, round, ripe and sun-warmed tomato.
A nearly same dimension bread, possibly two o three days old.
Cut horizontally the bread, and put the two parts in the water: leave them for some minutes: they must become soft, but yet solid .
Put some oil and salt (nothing more) on each half tomato, and join each of them with the correspondant part of bread, like a sandwich. Eat.
Rememeber to clean the shirt, after eating.... . Nothing better, if you are thirsty.....

Tags
italy, milan