"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 02-28-2007, 04:35 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

You must go to Florence! The view from the top of the Duomo is truly spectacular and something that will stay with you forever.

Also, don't miss the Campo Di Fiori market in Rome. The best food market I have seen in a long time.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:14 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to RDG
The important is to understand what you prefer to see.
Arts or landscapes? One week is too a short period for a complete visit, so, obviously, you have to decide what you want to see.
All the towns that have been named here are nice, and, moreover (with my great disappointment as milanese ) I must agree that Milano is not the best town you can see in Italy: Milano has only trhree monuments really great: The Castle, The Duomo, and the Last Supper by Leonardo. But, in front of Venice, for example, it's nothing.
For Art, beginning from Rome, see Florence an Venice. I can adsure you that for each of them a week is really too a little period. But I sincerely think that they are absolutely unique.
Milano is a nice play to stay in, and leave for seeing other places: in maximum two hours you can be on lakes, on high mountains, on the sea, on the rivers...wherever you like.
For lanscapes.....sea, country or mountains? If you pass by Venice, instead of Como lake, try Garda lake: it's bigger, wilder and more impressive than Como's one, and it's very close to Trentino, with its mountains.
When you know the exact dates of your trip, write me, and, if you pass in Milano, I'll be happy to meet you.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:23 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Hi, I live near Florence, and I'd rather suggest you a trip to Florence!!! April and May, are the best months of the year to visit Florence and you could also stay in some agriturism in the nearby! Have a nice holyday! Simona :-)
Old 03-24-2007, 08:01 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

I second the above comments- Florence and Tuscany are not to be missed! I spent a semester studying in Rome and Florence and Siena were absolutely beautiful! But Venice especially is like no other place on earth.

But if you're anything like me, you'll fall in love with Italy and this won't be your last visit, so I say pick out the ones your most interested in and make sure to give enough time in those places to really enjoy them. Quality over quantity.

Enjoy Rome and make sure to have a wander through the Trastevere area- just across the Tiber from the Jewish Ghetto and Campo di Fiori areas. It has such a unique atmosphere in the city and some of the best and least touristed restaurants. The view from the top of the Janiculum hill behind Trastevere is magnificent. And the previous comment is right: morning market in Campo di Fiori is another must-have experience if you'll be in Roma- it's great fun as well as delicious to get some fresh veg, Italian cheese and fresh baked bread to munch on throughout the day. I used to stop there every morning for fruit and never got bored of watching everyone go about their business.

Enjoy!
Old 03-24-2007, 10:15 AM   #15
Master Chef

I've trained across Italy several times and I think your agenda sounds like fun, though a bit ambitious. I love the train!!!!

I totally agree about skipping Milan and NOT skipping Florence.

IMO Florence and Venice are 2 of the most beautiful places on earth.

Plus Florence is so near Rome.

Milan is lovely but I think you would probably enjoy yourselves more by strolling through the (relative) calm of Venice and Florence.

Pisa is nice too, but not much there besides the Tower, esp. if the alternative is Florence.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:52 AM   #16
Senior Cook

I was disappointed in Pisa, lots of street vendors and our driver warned us about pick pockets - skip it.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:42 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
ake Como Sunday night to explore Monday
Yeah Lake Como is a must see!
Old 04-17-2007, 09:37 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

A few of my favorites: (most already mentioned)
Cinque Terre
Ischia (LOVED IT)
Venice

I was there once in the spring (this time of year). I was teaching in Vienna and some of the teachers and I were on a "Quest for SUN." We never really found the weather we were looking for but had an amazing time. We also only went as far south as Naples.

have a lovely time!!!
Old 04-17-2007, 11:27 AM   #19
Head Chef

You would find the sun this year ! I was sunburned lightly at the weekend and its very hot. I felt sorry for people I saw this weekend who had arrived taking general advise on weather and dressed for a European spring and found us in summer early....
Old 05-12-2007, 05:33 PM   #20
Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to mad_evo99
We ended up sticking to our original plan: Sorrento, Rome, Venice and Stresa. All were wonderful in their own ways and we wouldn't have changed anything. Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions!

Tags
italy