ITALY - vacation plans ... comments?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mad_evo99

Cook
My girlfriend and I are taking a vacation in Italy for 8 days (plus the surrounding two days for flying). We are pretty much settled on where we're going to go and what we're going to see, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to see what people here thought, especially those that live in Italy or have visited before.

The general plan right now is we land Tuesday morning around 9a in Rome.

Then:
- Take a train down to Naples to explore Pompei and all that on Tuesday and Wednesday
- Train back to Rome to explore Rome Thursday, Friday and Saturday
- Train to Venice Saturday night to explore Sunday
- Train to Milan/Lake Como Sunday night to explore Monday
- Train back to Rome Tuesday with a stop in Pisa
- Fly back Wednesday morning at 10a

Comments?

OK, well personally I live round Milan and if it were a choice between a day here and Como and two days in Venice I would choose two days in Venice. Como is nice but Venice and Murano and stuff is out of this world.

Don't forget to visit farmers/open air markets in Rome or elsewhere. It's a diferent world. Nothing like this you will see here in the States. I think it is the thing I miss the most. If I were to go back to Italy (I lived there for 6 month) the open air markets (or whatever they called) would be the main reason to go.

When are you going? If it is soon, and while the weather is still cool, I would save a visit to Lake Como for another occasion. It is much nicer there during the warm period. Also with a time constriction, I suggest either Bologna or Firenze (or Emilia Romagna/Toscana region in general) instead of Milano, there will be much more to see and do for a first time visitor.
Put the stay in Rome either at the beginning or at the end of the holiday, so it will save some travel up and down...

Maybe it is a personal thing, but I prefer to spend more time in one city than try to move around and see as many places as possible especially on a short holiday -- one reason being you can get to know the place better, you can enjoy them more relaxed and save a lot of time of travelling in between. If I were you, I would split the stay in Rome and Firenze (from where you can also visit Bologna and Pisa fairly easily, they are close), both are full of things to see and do, the time will fly by.

If you are going to Napoli, try a visit also to Caserta, the second biggest private palace in Europe next to Versailles. Also in downtown Napoli, please be careful of pick-pockets (also around central Rome, too, especially watch out for little gypsy kids, they are extremely adept at this and independent foreign tourists are their favourite target, and you can never discount their "talent"!!), guard your belongings as tightly as possible!

Yep: I agree 100% with Urmaniac! But I would have to include Venice, seriously!

Everywhere I have been here feels much safer as regards violent crime that most UK and US cities I have been too but pickpocketing is rife!

urmaniac13 said:
When are you going? If it is soon, and while the weather is still cool, I would save a visit to Lake Como for another occasion. It is much nicer there during the warm period.

It's mid-April, so we thought the weather would be nice then.

Thanks for the rest of your suggestions - they might change our minds! So far we just have the flight in and out of Rome, so there is still plenty of time to plan the rest of it.

If it is mid April, maybe weather is warm enough, and if you have some particular personal interest in Lake Como or its surrounding area, of course visit there by any means!!
However if you are just throwing it in the itinerary without any specific purpose, it will be better left off this time around, as the time is limited and going into this region sort of derails your trip, especially if you try to visit Venice AND Lake Como, it is on the other side of northern Italy. I think it is wise to choose, if you would like to visit either of them to go to Venice OR Lake Como. If you choose one way or another, it will be a pretty much straightforward extention coming from the south.
Let me know if you have any questions in detail, I am more than happy to help!!;) (I live in the very central part of Rome, if you get off the train at Stazione Termini from the airport, you will be walking into the street I walk by everyday!!:) )

lulu said:
OK, well personally I live round Milan and if it were a choice between a day here and Como and two days in Venice I would choose two days in Venice. Como is nice but Venice and Murano and stuff is out of this world.

I second lulu's comments. Venice and Murano definitely. Beautiful scenery, beautiful food, beautiful "stuff." Be sure to see the glassworks at Murano.

Firenze

I personally think that Florence is one of the most beautiful cities, it should not be missed.

Statue of David by Michaelangelo in Florence

Ponte vecchio over the Arno in Florence
You can see Pisa on the way to the Cinque Terre (part of the Italian Rivera) from Florence but you just get off the train walk through the city, see the tower and then get back on the train (I would skip it on such a short visit to Italy.)
The only reason I go to Milan is to visit friends, if they did not live there I would not go. Milan does not have as much to offer average tourist as other cities do, it is a city of business not art. I would not recommend you go there unless you (or your gf) love fashion and have LOTS of money to spend on clothes.

Italy is an incredibly beautiful country, no matter where you go you will have great food and great scenery.
Remember the trains NEVER run on time and strikes are a common occurance so do not have too stict of a schedule or you could be disapointed.

Bon viaggio!
:)

Milan is great, but the other places discussed are more than great, honestly. Como was slightly disappointing to me, not that its not great but it is nothing like the other places you are talking about. I understand Como is a July place (I came in August!) when the special restaurants are open. Italians are almost afraid of the cold. Weather like today which would be considered spring like in New York or London and they are rushing out side looking at anyone strolling in the "bitter weather" as if the are mad. April I expect will be spring like, but my guess is that that won't be enough here in the north for the northern Italians, but that in the mid-and soputhern areas the Italians will be in their element. Venice I am assured is wonderful any time of year. I'll let you know, I thinkwe are going again the weekend after next!

You must go to Florence! The view from the top of the Duomo is truly spectacular and something that will stay with you forever.

Also, don't miss the Campo Di Fiori market in Rome. The best food market I have seen in a long time.

The important is to understand what you prefer to see.
Arts or landscapes? One week is too a short period for a complete visit, so, obviously, you have to decide what you want to see.
All the towns that have been named here are nice, and, moreover (with my great disappointment as milanese;) ) I must agree that Milano is not the best town you can see in Italy: Milano has only trhree monuments really great: The Castle, The Duomo, and the Last Supper by Leonardo. But, in front of Venice, for example, it's nothing.
For Art, beginning from Rome, see Florence an Venice. I can adsure you that for each of them a week is really too a little period. But I sincerely think that they are absolutely unique.
Milano is a nice play to stay in, and leave for seeing other places: in maximum two hours you can be on lakes, on high mountains, on the sea, on the rivers...wherever you like.
For lanscapes.....sea, country or mountains? If you pass by Venice, instead of Como lake, try Garda lake: it's bigger, wilder and more impressive than Como's one, and it's very close to Trentino, with its mountains.
When you know the exact dates of your trip, write me, and, if you pass in Milano, I'll be happy to meet you.

Hi, I live near Florence, and I'd rather suggest you a trip to Florence!!! April and May, are the best months of the year to visit Florence and you could also stay in some agriturism in the nearby! Have a nice holyday! Simona :)

I second the above comments- Florence and Tuscany are not to be missed! I spent a semester studying in Rome and Florence and Siena were absolutely beautiful! But Venice especially is like no other place on earth.

But if you're anything like me, you'll fall in love with Italy and this won't be your last visit, so I say pick out the ones your most interested in and make sure to give enough time in those places to really enjoy them. Quality over quantity.

Enjoy Rome and make sure to have a wander through the Trastevere area- just across the Tiber from the Jewish Ghetto and Campo di Fiori areas. It has such a unique atmosphere in the city and some of the best and least touristed restaurants. The view from the top of the Janiculum hill behind Trastevere is magnificent. And the previous comment is right: morning market in Campo di Fiori is another must-have experience if you'll be in Roma- it's great fun as well as delicious to get some fresh veg, Italian cheese and fresh baked bread to munch on throughout the day. I used to stop there every morning for fruit and never got bored of watching everyone go about their business.

Enjoy!

I've trained across Italy several times and I think your agenda sounds like fun, though a bit ambitious. I love the train!!!!

I totally agree about skipping Milan and NOT skipping Florence.

IMO Florence and Venice are 2 of the most beautiful places on earth.

Plus Florence is so near Rome.

Milan is lovely but I think you would probably enjoy yourselves more by strolling through the (relative) calm of Venice and Florence.

Pisa is nice too, but not much there besides the Tower, esp. if the alternative is Florence.

A few of my favorites: (most already mentioned)
Cinque Terre
Ischia (LOVED IT)
Venice

I was there once in the spring (this time of year). I was teaching in Vienna and some of the teachers and I were on a "Quest for SUN." We never really found the weather we were looking for but had an amazing time. We also only went as far south as Naples.

have a lovely time!!!

You would find the sun this year ! I was sunburned lightly at the weekend and its very hot. I felt sorry for people I saw this weekend who had arrived taking general advise on weather and dressed for a European spring and found us in summer early....

We ended up sticking to our original plan: Sorrento, Rome, Venice and Stresa. All were wonderful in their own ways and we wouldn't have changed anything. Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom