JAMAICA - Negril?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

affable_artist

Assistant Cook
I'm off to celebrate my 30th birthday in Negril, Jamaica towards the end of February. I know this isn't a place you could get to by "road" necessarily... but if anyone has been and has any great stories to tell, or secrets to share - I'd love to hear them!

OHHHH! Great times! have fun!

Honestly the BEST food I had was from road side stands. If you put aside what YOU know as safe food practices, it is great! True jerk, and the souse was AWESOME!

Lots of Patty, lots of dumplings, and lots of flavor.

I have some stories, but we are keeping it PG,lol.

Have fun! Be safe, and DO not take a "free" local tour. They can take you to the top of a mountain, say it is a scenic point, you get out, and offer to take you back for 100US or sell you a map. Trust your gut, if it seems sketchy, IT(more then likely) IS.

+1 ^^^

Negril is great. Just make sure to use your head and be safe. Eat a meat pie or two for me.

Forgot to mention, don't be afraid to eat some goat. The Curried goat(normally the head) is awesome. I had about 6 different types and they were all great. Keep in mind, this isn no like an Indian or Japanese type curry. This is very aromatic with a lot of cinnamon and other stuff, but MAN it is great!

I spent quite a bit of time there and NEVER had a bad meal to be honest.

And adding on to what I said earlier,and what Andy reiterated, there is a sucker born every minute. The local boys know this, and make an industry of it. They can see you coming a mile away. And you will see a lot of pan handles, mainly kids, if you give anything to 1,you will be swarmed. It is hard, but just duck the head, and keep on going.

Wow, I hope this doesn't turn you off, lol. I love the island, had a great time, just giving you a bit of "local" insight. I guess all the same could be said about anywhere you go though.

Have a good... no, GREAT TIME! If you are at a resort, you can stay the whole of your trip within the grounds and NEVER see/experience any of this. I, as a traveler, always get out there and do it to it, so to each there own. There is NO way you can go there and NOT have a good time either way.

Thanks Tattrat and GB!

I definitely plan to explore and will not be alone. I also have NO extra money, so even if I wanted to help out some panhandlers, I couldn't!

Don't worry about turning me off to Jamaica! I asked for stories and I truly want to know the good and the bad! I have a strong feeling the good will prevail!

I wish I could remember the restaurant - it was located at some rocks - we jokingly asked if we could eat out on one of the rocks and they happily set up a table with candles and everything! It was AWESOME!

I wish I could remember the restaurant - it was located at some rocks - we jokingly asked if we could eat out on one of the rocks and they happily set up a table with candles and everything! It was AWESOME!

I think I know what you are talking about... whenever I google Negril, Jamaica I see it... do they also advertise cliff diving? (Rick's Cafe???)

Don't forget to eat jerk chicken
The nice chicken just does not taste as good ;)

Jerk is awesome and so is goat curry. Eat anything local you can. Jamaican food is delicious. Also, have some fresh fruit. They have some fruits that I can't remember all the names that will put a smile on your face.

There was also a place on the beach that served the absolute best seafood pizza I have ever had in my life - and no, I cannot remember the name of it! lol

HI, Hope you are not in Negril yet, maybe you will check your e-mail. My father has lived in Jamaica for 20 years. I am moving there NEXT WEEK- YEAKS..
Here in the Negril low-down for foodies... "Sweet Spice" is a true Jamaican jewel. Conch steak is a must, they have soup that will knock your socks off, more like a stew. It is about 3 miles out of town toward Mandeville. All authentic Jamaican dishes. I think the LTU pub is the place on the rocks someone was refering to on the earlier post, my dad's favorite. Cosmos has been in Negril forever, I used to go there as a kid and have seen it grow from a beach shack to the place it is today. They have Conch fritters there and the Lobster dishes are very good. Three Dives has become an institution on the rocks. The lobster is so fresh, and grilled to prefection. Miyard is a late night hang out, if you have been "whooping" it up and serve food all night. Selina's is a breakfast must do. Sunday brunch is a tradition. When on the beach you have to go to Alfred's and have the fish and chips for lunch. Down from Selina's is a quick stop ( like a 7-11), right next to Lilla May's guest house. The second you are in Negril, go get the fresh orange juice they make fresh every morning. Buy 3-6 bottles because you will be very disapointed when you run out. The best Jerk Stand is next to Lilla May's guest house.. or the one across the road from Nirvana, it is a small round white shack- I think it is called best in the west,good "blended" drinks while you wait. Get a fresh fruit blended drink whenever possible, the fruit in Negril is well undiscribable. The best patties are at a stand that is an ice cream place and a bakery- across the street from Miyard up on the rocks. Or if you are on the rocks, I have not seen him in a while, but "Ital's Etheopian hi powered health food center" Real rasta food, tiny shack across from Rick's cafe. Jenny's favorite cakes- well ummm that is where you get the "special brownies" be careful, lots of extra "spice" in them. Negril is cut in 1/2 by a river and a round-about.. You have the beach and the rocks or the cliffs locals call it the rocks. my borther and I spent every summer in Jamaica as kids, so we would celebrate when we found some pizza or a hamburger. But, now that I am all grown up and a chef, Negril is a foodies delight. Try everything, Curry goat is a must, as well as patties, conch and lobster. I saw a Texas tourist on a bet eat a scotch bonnet and pass out.. So yes they are HOT. Chefs wrap them in cheese cloth and spice the food and them take them out of the pot, so don't get brave and eat a hot pepper. Fresh fish is always a good bet. If you have cooking facilities where you stay, and are feeling brave (very brave) and you are a true foodie, on Saturday take a taxi to Sav-la-mar a town about 20 mins from Negril. That is the outdoor market of all outdoor markets. Third-world at its best. Hold your nose, watch out for pick-pockets and get ready to haggle... I got a 15lb snapper there for 2.00us. Good Luck....

I've personally never been to Jamaica but close friends and family have and I've heard mostly good things (especially about the food). Have a good trip and happy birthday.

hey am from Jamaica and i must say it is a very great place, our food is wonderful, we have great music and the people is great. I hope you do have a wonderful time here and happy 3oth birthday

This reply is a little late, but I have a small list for anyone heading there in the future:
Negril downtown
Sweet Spice Restaurant near the gas station
Great baked jerk curry chicken w/ rice/beans and salad

On the beach:
Kuyaba has the best food for lunch: Grilled Bamboo Jerk Chicken and Caesar Salad rocks there and so do the frozen drinks Order a Kuyaba Rainbow.

Xtabi Restaurant (you basically eat on a cliff hanging over the ocean ) Order the Seafood Medley (grilled).

Go to De Buss at least once and have jerk chicken and french fries

Grab lunch or dinner at Rick's Cafe and watch the locals cliff dive.

If you pass through Montego Bay, you must check out:
Marguerites Seafood by the Sea. The Lobster is amazing, the fillet mignon is awesome. They also do a traditional Caesar salad right at your table. The ambiance is incredible, its right on the water.

Back
Top Bottom