"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 10-27-2010, 08:47 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Jamie Oliver of late has become rather greedy for money. He's worth millions and he certainly doesn't do those food shows for the love of it, but for the money. That's what he said on BBC TV last spring. To be honest, him admitting that rather put me off the guy.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:09 AM   #12
Head Chef

I loved Jamie Oliver. I was just watching one of his shows on the cooking channel and the lamb he prepared was just great. His recipes are more go by the feel than exact proportions and everything seems to be full of flavor because of the ingredients he throws in and how he combines them. I find him highly creative.

It saddens me that he is money hungry just like the rest of the folks on Foodtv. I believe you should follow your passion and money comes, now if money becomes your passion than you lose it all. I was seriously planning on checking out one of his restaurants on my next visit to England but I guess after reading this thread I'll refrain and will just watch his shows and read his books (which I own).

Old 10-27-2010, 01:55 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuta View Post
I was seriously planning on checking out one of his restaurants on my next visit to England but I guess after reading this thread I'll refrain and will just watch his shows and read his books (which I own).
Next time you visit England, book up at

Le Manoir Aux Quat'Saisons | Raymond Blanc's Two Michelin Star Restaurant & Hotel in Oxfordshire

That's top notch! I've been there for a special occasion. Unforgettable. And it would beat the pants off any JO establishment.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:15 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Wow. That really sound unsatisfying. I could only imagine that it was very high quality meat to justify the small portions. The chips are just a scam. Sorry to hear about this.

//www.lowcarbgrub.com
megamark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 01:02 PM   #15
Executive Chef

The best restuarants are the smaller establishements with owners that are present and actually performing hands-on management. Franchises are only as good as the people running it, and lets face it, good people are hard to find. These bigger places are all gloss, hype and advertisement. It boild down to the people who are actually operating the place.....I rarely go into a franchise restuarant of any kind.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:52 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Hmmm, a lot of these 'celebrity chef's' seem to get by on their name I've heard other stories of sub standard food at celebrity chef owned/run/endorse restaurants.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:17 AM   #17
Senior Cook

chips in thimble like containers is a complete joke. Although it looks neat funny how the chips are always thick cut and not thin fries!
Old 01-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #18
Head Chef

Hi Poppi, wow the link you gave me looks amazing. Can you tell me how far it is from proper London. I normally come with my husband because he travels to UK for business and normally stay by the West Bank area, close to Waterloo station (right by the London Eye).

One other question - Any other good places in the city you can recommend. We are Indian and the Indian food in UK is amazing (better than even India in my humble opinion). I have tried Tamarind, Mint Leaf, Cinnamon Club, Hakkasin and several nice ones. I am always on the look out for good restaurants when I am there. They don't necessarily have to be Indian.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:15 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

To be honest, your experience doesn't surprise me at all. I've always like JO himself, but never his food, it's always seemed so unappertising to me. As for franchise restaurants, leave that for McDonalds or KFC - I wouldn't expect a standard any higher than that in a franchise.

Fabiabi: The reason a chip is always thick is because that is what a chip is. The showstring version is a fry, which I believe was invented by McDonalds.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:30 AM   #20
Executive Chef

I was interested to read the coments, I have no problem with anyone who does well, I think that if you look at the history of Mr O his passion for food and the way he has ploughed time and his money in helping to promote healthy eating for kids along with the help his foundation gives to underprivileged kids is commendable.Jamie Oliver | Official site for recipes, books, tv, restaurants and food revolution