Jamie Oliver's restaurant?? NEVA AGAIN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish

Assistant Cook
Im not normally as disappointed as this, not a 'nit-picker' if you will...
Went on a business trip down to Cambridge and the night before the seminar we checked in to Jamie Olivers place...a really good looking restaurant, very
impressed!!

Ordered steak 8oz and of course the chips are seperate, unbeknown to myself and my friends, so of course chips ordered! The steaks come and they are mounted over with what can only be described as garden weeds (rocket,really?) dandilions!!

Once i removed the greenery to aside, accompanying more side garden no the plate, the steak is actually cut in to four pieces and they have been spaced apart so the steak when put 2getha, was infact tiny i couldnt believe it and the chips came out in a cup the size of a thimble probably about 6 chips in all.....

I do like jamie Oliver and think a lot about him and his efforts to steer majority of 'ill' eaters to the right direction...thought he was a bit more down to earth than his restaurant effort though :( oooh and the starter that we all thought we could share (nacho's and chilli dip with cheese) was like a bag of quavers and some cheap salsa for 4quid!!!! very disappointed. Sorry Jamie Oliver it had to be said...

Sorry to hear of your poor experience. I have noticed portions getting smaller in general at high end eateries. Personally I'm OK with that and think that if you have a starter, main course, salad and dessert those small portions are probably a good thing. The problem is that a lot of folks skip the other courses and then a small main course just isn't enough.

In my part of the world rocket (arugula) and dandelions greens (or other 'boutique' greens) are very expensive. They are often involved in show piece dishes or as a very upscale salad with glazed nuts or figs - never as a plate garnish.

It does occur to me that a mound of greens on top of a steak would help insulate it keeping it hot for service.... clever.

Did you let them know you were displeased?

yeh thanks for the reply, i couldnt believe the presentation when they charge just below 17quid for this steak 'dish'...

no i did not complain, i never do because i am very aware that nowadays positive criticism cant be taken, people seem to be hot headed with giant ego's a lot of the time, the way i show my dis'pleasement is by not spending my money there again...they dont know it but i spread my word/view about it (nothing malicious of course)...

I love quaint and kwirky a'la'cart type restaurants and dont mind what the cost is coz im always with good company, do u have any good preferences of place to eat....oooh by the way nando's what a joke!!!!! ooops am i being bitchy now ;)

At least you didn't have to pay that much to sit in the dirt in his garden.

I actually like his cooking show and style but I always wonder why they never show his house.I am sure it is a palace.
He has a real nice range in his barn wher they shoot the show.
Kinda strange.

I like the show the naked chef. I thought he got odd as well after he was married. I recently saw him in a magazine and thought he was a total space cadet, but I did really like his cooking back in the day, and thought his show was really entertaining. I don't even know if that show is on anymore, I don't have it on any cable programs here. I have to say, I really had a good time when I went to Paula Deen's restaurant, however, Uncle Bubba's was not so good (it was free as part of a tour, we got the buffet, although the grilled oysters were pretty good. )

Jamie Oliver franchises out his restaurants, so can not be guranteed to be overlooking the establishments. If he was able to, then I am sure the normal high standard of his cuisine would be excellent and 'Fish' comes away happy.

Similarly, foul-mouthed chef Gordon Ramsey had the same problem, and even installed CCTV in his restaurants, so to check up on his staff at any time. If there was something amiss, he'd get on the phone pretty quickly. Ramsey's establishments went the same unpopular way with Jamie Oliver's.

Unless one visits Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons in Oxfordshire where the cuisine is consistently excellent Le Manoir Aux Quat'Saisons | Raymond Blanc's Two Michelin Star Restaurant & Hotel in Oxfordshire But at a price.

Jamie Oliver of late has become rather greedy for money. He's worth millions and he certainly doesn't do those food shows for the love of it, but for the money. That's what he said on BBC TV last spring. To be honest, him admitting that rather put me off the guy.

I loved Jamie Oliver. I was just watching one of his shows on the cooking channel and the lamb he prepared was just great. His recipes are more go by the feel than exact proportions and everything seems to be full of flavor because of the ingredients he throws in and how he combines them. I find him highly creative.

It saddens me that he is money hungry just like the rest of the folks on Foodtv. I believe you should follow your passion and money comes, now if money becomes your passion than you lose it all. I was seriously planning on checking out one of his restaurants on my next visit to England but I guess after reading this thread I'll refrain and will just watch his shows and read his books (which I own).

I was seriously planning on checking out one of his restaurants on my next visit to England but I guess after reading this thread I'll refrain and will just watch his shows and read his books (which I own).

Next time you visit England, book up at

Le Manoir Aux Quat'Saisons | Raymond Blanc's Two Michelin Star Restaurant & Hotel in Oxfordshire

That's top notch! I've been there for a special occasion. Unforgettable. And it would beat the pants off any JO establishment. ;)

Wow. That really sound unsatisfying. I could only imagine that it was very high quality meat to justify the small portions. The chips are just a scam. Sorry to hear about this.

The best restuarants are the smaller establishements with owners that are present and actually performing hands-on management. Franchises are only as good as the people running it, and lets face it, good people are hard to find. These bigger places are all gloss, hype and advertisement. It boild down to the people who are actually operating the place.....I rarely go into a franchise restuarant of any kind.

Hmmm, a lot of these 'celebrity chef's' seem to get by on their name I've heard other stories of sub standard food at celebrity chef owned/run/endorse restaurants.

chips in thimble like containers is a complete joke. Although it looks neat funny how the chips are always thick cut and not thin fries!

Hi Poppi, wow the link you gave me looks amazing. Can you tell me how far it is from proper London. I normally come with my husband because he travels to UK for business and normally stay by the West Bank area, close to Waterloo station (right by the London Eye).

One other question - Any other good places in the city you can recommend. We are Indian and the Indian food in UK is amazing (better than even India in my humble opinion). I have tried Tamarind, Mint Leaf, Cinnamon Club, Hakkasin and several nice ones. I am always on the look out for good restaurants when I am there. They don't necessarily have to be Indian.

Last edited:
To be honest, your experience doesn't surprise me at all. I've always like JO himself, but never his food, it's always seemed so unappertising to me. As for franchise restaurants, leave that for McDonalds or KFC - I wouldn't expect a standard any higher than that in a franchise.

Fabiabi: The reason a chip is always thick is because that is what a chip is. The showstring version is a fry, which I believe was invented by McDonalds.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom