Las Vegas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChezScooby

Assistant Cook
I am suprising my husband with a trip to Las Vegas for his 50th Birthday later this year and I REALLY need some help as to where/what are some decent restaurants in Vegas. We are staying right in the middle of the Strip so I would love somethings (not all) with in walking distance.

Anyone???? :ermm::ermm:

Bobby Flay's Mesa restaurant was a true dining experience and one of the top 10 most memorable meals I ever had.I was not a fan of his until I ate there.Didn't hurt a vendor picked up the entire tab either.

(note this goes back a few years, things change....)
worked there for three years on an unlimited expense account - tried them all.

Mesa Grill is veddy expensive in relationship to value. if you want a $40 chicken breast, it's the place to be. his pepper sauces are divine - unfortunately they only come attached to over-priced, under quality entrees.

my oyster Rockefeller was over-cooked to the point of Flubber; server's suggestion: send Bobby an email.

Isis - top of the pyramid - was good
Emeril's FishHouse - excellent
Emerils steak place - good, not outstanding

Buccaneer Club - Pirate Bay(?) - very good, reasonably priced. good view of the ship sinking . . .

buffets - some are really good - not for the all you can eat part - but more for the big meal, decent price. avoid the $7.99 buffets.

the Strip stand-alones - Ruth Chris, that Lobster joint - avoid at all costs - horrendously overpriced and really not such good food.

there are a _lot_ of really good places off the Strip - sushi to Italian - but cab fare will be required.

Buchon Bistro: Do it. Pricey, but do it. You only live once, do it. It is Keller in Vegas, how bad could it be??

Alize: One of the top rated. Prepare to pay. Top of the Palms. The view is stunning. Fare, well, it is pretty fickin good: fundamentally correct preparations, great ingredients, but PRICEY . . .Last time we were out there, was like $200 a head?

MIX: If it is still there. Great value, awesome food, great setting and a it more fun.

restaurants are MORE than a dime a dozen, budget meals AND fantastic "gourmet" meals are plentiful. As your hotels concierge for availability at any place you have interest in immediately. Vegas is never in "off season" mode really, but, deals can be had year round, just shop around.

I don't have the slightest idea about a fancy dinner spot in Vegas, as spending hundreds of dollars for food I could make better just isn't in my plan.
I'll tell you though, that nothing on the Strip is walking distance unless you plan on wearing sneakers for a fancy night out. :LOL:
Sorry I couldn't help......have a wonderful time, and welcome to Discuss Cooking.

Last edited:
I don't have the slightest idea about a fancy dinner spot in Vegas, as spending hundreds of dollars for food I could make better just isn't in my plan.
I'll tell you though, that nothing on the Strip is walking distance unless you plan on wearing sneakers for a fancy night out. :LOL:
Sorry I couldn't help......have a wonderful time, and welcome to Discuss Cooking.
LOL LOL
Not in my plan either to spend hundreds on every meal, but one while we are there is definitly in my plans. You only turn 50 once and my husband has never been to Vegas, so I am going to spoil him!! ;);) Thanks for the welcome!! Looking forward to getting to know you:)!!

Vegas can be a lot of fun - it is a gambling town so if you keep your limits it's okay.

one other place I forgot to mention (and the name thereof...) with the "Wine Angels" - gigantic all glass enclosed multi-story "wine cellar"

walk in, look at the glass wine doohickey, go eat somewhere else...

anpther tip, everywhere you go you'll see a plaque / sign:
"Voted Las Vegas's Best (whatever)"
don't get impressed, everyplace has one - it's a meaningless thing.

Last edited:
If you want a steakhouse and don't mind spending the bucks go to Craftsteak at the MGM. It is excellant and very expensive. Gallagher's at the New York, New York is very good and not as expensive, their steaks and seafood are very good. If you want to go downtown go to Vic and Anthony's at the Golden Nuggett and across the street is Hugo's Cellar, both are very good. We also like Nero's at Ceasars Palace, their steaks, seafood and lamb are excellent.

We also enjoy Mesa Grill at Ceasars Palace.

Have fun and happy birthday to the lucky guy!!!

Stay away from Emeril's steakhouse. Way too expensive and lousy service and zero atmosphere. The steak we had was okay but certainly not even close to what was expected given the price. Nothing more than beer hall atmosphere.

For casual dining we did have really good food at the Venetian at thier little place called the Grand Lux. Super service and great food.

A fun place for dinner is down at the Excalibur at the Tournament of Kings dinner and show. Jousting, fireworks .. just a great fun time.

Have a blast and let us know how you enjoyed your trip.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice everyone!! I really appreciate it!! It has been years since I was there and with Hubby not knowing....well I'm doing this on my own!!

Have u tried the riviera and straphosphier when we stayed there had a lovely meal at the english pub

I agree Mesa grillis the BEST and for how good the food is I wouldn't say it's wildely over priced. The palm in the forum shops is also great - not cheap but excellent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom