"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 09-25-2011, 01:38 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
We do love the baby octopi made in several ways - one being marinated.

I love octopus too, but do not think I could try it when it is still moving. It feels oddly disrespectful to the animal to me. I'm not at all opposed to eating animals, so I'm really unsure why it hit me this way. Maybe it was simply the video...
I felt exactly the same way, Kathleen. I just couldn't figure out a way to say so. It's weird, because killing an animal to eat it is really the worst imagined cruelty in reality, (imagine someone telling you they would kill and eat *you*), but the eating of dead, non-moving meat has never bothered me. Even Lamb and Veal, which are both immature, "Baby" animals.

But the sight and thought of eating an animal that even though dead, still moving, bothers me at a primal depth and makes me feel like it's cruel. What a weird thought process.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:45 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I see this eating of a still living animal as cruel too. I liken it to being drawn and quartered. Raw oysters, however, are a different matter!

Old 09-25-2011, 01:56 PM   #33
Executive Chef

is that why vegans think eating plants is acceptable--as opposed to, say, octopus? because plants don't move (as fast or as noticeably) as animals? oysters--live, raw, bring 'em on....
Old 09-25-2011, 01:58 PM   #34
Head Chef

I can understand that primal feeling, too. It's like, giving thanks before a meal, and having the meal reply, "wait a sec... I haven't offered myself." Almost feels sacrilegious. Having said that, I would certainly try it.

Tim, that dish looks really tasty. Sometimes, I order tako at a sushi restaurant when my wallet's a bit thin. By the time I'm finished with it, my jaw is exhausted, and I spend less afterward.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:11 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
is that why vegans think eating plants is acceptable--as opposed to, say, octopus? because plants don't move (as fast or as noticeably) as animals? oysters--live, raw, bring 'em on....
I think so, vitauta. My oldest sister is vegan and I think she would pass out if she were to see someone eating something that was still moving. She might even throw chunks. My Brother is also a type of vegetarian, but he eats seafood. I can't figure that one out. He says he doesn't eat "Red Meat". Heck, when I fillet freshly caught seafood, it bleeds red....???

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
Tim, that dish looks really tasty. Sometimes, I order tako at a sushi restaurant when my wallet's a bit thin. By the time I'm finished with it, my jaw is exhausted, and I spend less afterward.
Now that's funny! You just gave me a hell of a laugh! I'm going to have to try it! I spend WAY too much in sushi places!
Old 10-27-2011, 01:38 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to shnooky Send a message via Skype™ to shnooky
I've never had octopus but I don't think I will be trying it after this video, haha.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:10 PM   #37
Master Chef

I had octopus, raw, but not alive, in Pusson Korea. I didn't care for it at the time. But the other restaurant patrons loved it.

I coudn't eat live critters as I know too well how foods are digested. And I can't imagin biting a live critter to kill it. I've been bitten by little children (little munchkins that could barely walk), and by an angry house cat, and a couple of dogs. The pain was excriciation. I couldn't put an animal through that. And to swallow them whole would be to place them in a hostile environment that dissolves the flesh from them while they are alive. Again, I've felt the pain of chemical burns.

I will continue to eat meat from land critters, fowl, and from the sea. But I have to say that I honor life too much to suject another sentient creature to agonizing pain, just so I can try something unique to me. And yes, I did pull the wings off of flies, and torture a cock roach as a youngster. I have become more sympathetic and empathetic to the creatures around me as I've grown older. Can't help it. I'm a softy.

There are only two times I ahd to hurt someone in a fight, though I had many an opportunity to do so, and to kids who deserved it. I just walked away and let myself be called a coward rather than hurt someone intentionally. The kids I fought left me no choioce. I won the fights, and was untouched, but probably hurt more inside than did the kids who lost the fights. I'm not ashamed to say that afterwards, when they went crying home, I cried myself, as I walked home because I had to fight and hurt them.

And yet I loved Judo, Kuk Sul Won, and wrestling, even with all of the submisison, and chokeholds, and the throwing, punching, adn kicking techniques. How does that work!

Ok, I quit. Don't know how all of that wordage spewed forth. I just won't eat live critters. Let's leave it at that. And I won't judge those who choose to eat them. We all have to live by the standards we set for ourselves.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:46 PM   #38
Master Chef

That's awful. Octopus are intelligent...those little guys KNOW they're being eaten.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:21 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
That's awful. Octopus are intelligent...those little guys KNOW they're being eaten.
I totally agree! I've met some in person, in the wild, and octopus are one of my favorite animals.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:27 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

c'mon, embrace your cavewoman side.

pigs are about as smart as dogs, but i doubt everyone's going to give up pork. i'm certainly not.

if we're going to decide what to eat based on i.q., i have a few co-workers who would be candidates.

waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote