"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 08-22-2011, 06:13 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Traditional Boston Baked Beans contain pork...
Good catch, June. I should have remembered that. Thanks for the correction.

Boston has a vibrant Italian-American community in the "North End". Modern Pastry is in the heart of the North End. Right down the street is Mike's Pastry www.mikespastry.com, another spot that has great Italian cookies and pastries. There is a good-hearted rivalry between the two as to which is best. Try both and decide for yourself. I love the cannolis at Mikes.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:50 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
A nice cup of tea
Oh you Brit's!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:10 PM   #13
Head Chef

"Yankee" Pot Roast ! Just kidding! Soft shell crab sandwich
Old 08-23-2011, 10:13 AM   #14
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Good catch, June. I should have remembered that. Thanks for the correction.

Boston has a vibrant Italian-American community in the "North End". Modern Pastry is in the heart of the North End. Right down the street is Mike's Pastry www.mikespastry.com, another spot that has great Italian cookies and pastries. There is a good-hearted rivalry between the two as to which is best. Try both and decide for yourself. I love the cannolis at Mikes.
I disagree about Mike's. The only chocolate cake I've ever spit out in my life came from there. (I didn't know that at the time.) But in any case, Mikes doesn't make/sell homemade Torrone. That's Sarah Picariello's specialty, unique to Modern.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:45 AM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
I disagree about Mike's. The only chocolate cake I've ever spit out in my life came from there. (I didn't know that at the time.) But in any case, Mikes doesn't make/sell homemade Torrone. That's Sarah Picariello's specialty, unique to Modern.

Sorry you had a bad experience at Mike's. I never mentioned torrone. I recommended the cannoli.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:48 AM   #16
Chief Eating Officer

I have lived in a Boston suburb almost all my life. I have never sen brown bread. The only time I have ever heard of it is when people ask what is a Boston food.

From my perspective there is not really a Boston food per say. Boston cream pie has Boston in the name, but just like brown bread I only ever hear about it when people want something "Boston".

If I had to pick a food that represented Boston it would have to be seafood of some sort. Since Maine had lobsters in would go with NE clam chowdah. I know that does not help you though Larry. I really can't think of anything non-meat. The closest I can think of is salt water taffy from the beach areas, but you can find that in most beach communities, not just Boston.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:56 AM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I have lived in a Boston suburb almost all my life. I have never sen brown bread. The only time I have ever heard of it is when people ask what is a Boston food.

From my perspective there is not really a Boston food per say. Boston cream pie has Boston in the name, but just like brown bread I only ever hear about it when people want something "Boston". ...

I agree on the brown bread. You just don't see it anymore. However, if you've never had Boston Cream Pie, it's not because it isn't generally available. The Boston Cream Pie and Parker House rolls are creations of the Parker House hotel (Now the Omni Parker House) in Boston. It's alive and well in and around Boston.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:00 AM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

I guess I didn't mean to say that you do not see Boston Cream Pie around. You do. What I meant to say is that the Boston Cream Pie you get in Boston does not seem and better or worse or different than getting it anywhere else. NY bagels and pizza are things you can't come close to anywhere else. You might have good or even great pizza other places, but it won't be quite the same. I don't think the same holds true for BCP.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:06 AM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

It's still a signature food of Boston. The fact that it's easy to make shouldn't be a factor.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:08 AM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

I guess when I think of bringing home a signature food of someplace I think of getting something that you can only get in that area or at least not something that you can get just as good from your home state.

Tags
food