MD - Wheaton

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lived and worked in that area for 30 years. Wheaton is a suburb of Washington, D.C. and is in Maryland's Montgomery County. One of our sons and his family live on the edge of Wheaton.

If you are into Italian food, Marchone's Deli in Wheaton makes a killer sub. It's a little hole-in-the-wall deli and Italian market.

Most of anything that would be an attraction would be in D.C., which is an easy Metro (subway) ride from many points in Wheaton. Accommodations would be less expensive in Wheaton or nearby Silver Spring than any in D.C.

More info would help recommend anything else. How long will you be there? How are you getting there? What is the purpose of your trip?

lived in silver spring / wheaton, md area for 30 years as well! im norh east now at a place on the bay called sandy point.

are you visiting family there...cause theres not a whole lot to do in wheaton other than a resturaunts and shopping at wheaton plaza. if your a musician than chuck levens music shop is fun!

over the past 10-15 years, wheaton has become a mostly hispanic community...so theres a good amount of interesting ethnic shops and places to eat.

your best bet is to hop on the metro and go to DC / georgetown, adams morgan areas. much more to do there!!

if you have any more questions...post em!

ACK!

I grew up in Wheaton......there are LOTS of worthwhile places to eat that aren't located in a Mall!

These are my Top 2, neither are showy or formal. Both are holes in the wall, but both will likely offer you some of the best in their respective genres that you've ever had.

1.) El Pollo Rico: This is a Peruvian chicken place that routinely has a line out the door at 2pm on rainy tuesdays. It has been on the Washingtonian "100 Best Bargain Restaurants" for over 10 years, and is a MANDATORY stop when coming to DC.

Bring cash, because they don't take anything else. Order the quarter chicken with the fries and the cole slaw. The chicken is mind-blowing, the fries are great, but the slaw isn't anything special.

Also, buy an Empanada. They're the best empanadas on the planet.

2.) Hollywood East Cafe: This is a fabulous "under the radar" chinese place that offers dishes unobtainable at more Americanized joints. Try the razor clams, offered with any number of sauces you've likely never heard of.

There are two locations, the one on University Blvd is the newer dim sum place, only go there for dim sum. Go to the original location for the best stuff.

There are lots of other places, but it doesn't sound like you'll be there for weeks on end.

Thanks for the replies. It is a business trip for me. But DH is taking some time to spend with me. I will only be there two and a half days. Thanks for the links!

ttbeachbum said:
Thanks for the replies. It is a business trip for me. But DH is taking some time to spend with me. I will only be there two and a half days. Thanks for the links!
Ouch! Owch! Only two and a half days. We were there over 30 years and barely scratched the surface. Okay. Plan on long, but fun days. USE the Metro system. Least expensive and most efficient way of traversing the whole D.C. metropolitan area.

Omigosh! There are so many things I could recommend, but your time is so short and the season being what it is, some outdoor things are not as much fun.

DO see some of the museums in the city. There are plenty of natives who have never set foot in any of them. Shame. Just have fun and plan on returning.

Last edited:
wow, brazen, thanks!! i work in the south end of rockville, and i'm definitely heading out to the chicken place down the street sometime soon for lunch!!

Katie E said:
Sure wish we would hear from ttbeachbum to see how the trip turned out. It's been over a month and my curiosity glands are workin' overtime.

Hellooooo, ttbeachbum!!!! How'd it go?

Hey thanks for the inquiry. The trip put me in downtown Silver Springs for the hotel. DH discovered the Whole Foods Grocery store while I was at the meeting :rolleyes: ; He did wander into DC for some 'driveby' photo shootings (no place to park);

Unfortunately, the meetings occupied my days with mandatory lunches of deli sandwiches and pizza (which I passed upon). By night, we stayed in the Silver Spring area. (It seems like the haven for fast food); Monday evening we dined at the Asian Bistro; Tuesday he had a late dinner at Eggesteria or something along those lines (DH was looking for a bacon-swiss burger -average); But Wednesday, I felt like I had some sort of water posioning (it was all I really had) so dinner was light at Baja Fresh for a burritto combo for him; Nothing fancy that is for sure.

2 valueable lessons learned always drink bottled water not tap; always take a room away from the street:mad: ;

Katie E said:
Ouch! Owch! Only two and a half days. We were there over 30 years and barely scratched the surface. Okay. Plan on long, but fun days. USE the Metro system. Least expensive and most efficient way of traversing the whole D.C. metropolitan area.

Omigosh! There are so many things I could recommend, but your time is so short and the season being what it is, some outdoor things are not as much fun.

DO see some of the museums in the city. There are plenty of natives who have never set foot in any of them. Shame. Just have fun and plan on returning.

We were also in the DC area 19 years ago; We went to all the museums and local sights. We did take the Metro at that time and I will certainly say it beats sitting in traffic that I just experienced (especially after sitting all day).

We did visit the Discovery Building in Silver Springs for their mini display. I noticed there was an 'astro' park by the Whole Foods;

The weather was gorgeous last week and we did fly back before the ice storm hit.

I love Wheaton, I've only lived here for 2 years and before that grew up in DC. At any rate, there are a large number of ethnic restaurants, some good, some bad.

Hollywood East is a must for dim sum, though it does get crowded if you get there after 11:00 am.

Moby Dick - not to be mistaken for the middle eastern place in Georgetown, its a sushi place run by Koreans, but its actually pretty good.

Hard to go wrong with the Pho places around here.

Ruan Thai - apparently a best kept secret in at my place of work. Its affordable, the service is decent, and the food is pretty good to.

Back
Top Bottom