MN - Burnsville ... breakfast at Jensen's Cafe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FraidKnot

Washing Up
We stayed in Burnsville because it was less expensive than Edina for the art show. And OH BOY!

Jensen's Cafe in Grand Market Square. It's open only for breakfast & lunch, 7AM - 2:30PM, but you can get breakfast *or* lunch any time during those hours. For some reason I really like Country Fried Steak (CFS) for breakfast so I was pleased to see it on the menu. I got it with scrambled eggs, which were cooked perfectly (moist, not dried out). The CFS was not breaded ground beef; it was the real deal; a large slice of sirloin or maybe round steak yet very tender. The sausage gravy was excellent. The whole wheat toast was thick sliced, toasted nice and crispy. I got the impression it had been freshly baked that morning. Homestyle potatoes. It was really too much food!

John ordered two eggs over-easy, and they really *were* over-easy! No food police in this place telling you they must be cooked longer or you'll die. He also had the aforementioned wheat toast. He didn't want the potatoes so he asked if they served grits. I started chuckling. The server had no clue what grits are so she suggested he substitute the Swedish pancake. Maybe you folks know this but we had no idea - a Swedish pancake is essentially a large, thin crepe. It was the size of a dinner plate, lightly sprinkled with confectioner's sugar and served with a big blob of butter and a ramekin of warmed ligonberry jam.

I recommend Jensen's if you ever find yourself in Burnsville, MN (which is a hop skip and a jump outside of Minneapolis and another hop over to St. Paul).

Fraidy

Whew - I saw Burnsville and there is a Burnsville, North Carolina very near us - and then I read where they didn't know what grits were!!!!! I KNEW you weren't talking about Burnsville, North Carolina then!!!! And no one in MY Burnsville would recommend a Swedish Pancake over grits! :LOL:

Sounds like a wonderful breakfast!!!!!!! Thanks for posting this - I'm sure it will help someone in the future find just the right spot for a good breakfast!

BigDog said:
I live in Burnsville, MN and have never been there, but been told it was excellent. Your review backs that up! :chef:

Oh, do go! But beware... parking is pretty much non-existent. Of course we were in a 22 foot box van carrying large paintings and parking is always a problem, but the restaurant was highly recommended and definitely worth a visit. I understand they have a "supper club" as well. I collect menus from our trips and I picked one up and also the breakfast/lunch menu.

We won't be doing that show in Edina any time again soon. It was more a crafts show, really, but even the crafters weren't doing well. When we arrived on Wednesday the weather was fine... then it turned rainy and cold and we weren't packed for it. John couldn't find his socks! He had ONE sock! He switched it from one foot to the other. He does original oil paintings and the crowd was more into buying kettle corn than fine art :stuart:

Fraidy

I am so glad that you had a good time in Burnsville, Minnesota. Your breakfast at Jensens Grand Market Square sounds great.

I hope you enjoyed the art show.

shpj4 said:
I am so glad that you had a good time in Burnsville, Minnesota. Your breakfast at Jensens Grand Market Square sounds great.

I hope you enjoyed the art show.

Actually no, we didn't :mad: John was one of the exhibitors. The weather did us in. When we arrived it was sunny, pleasant, low 80F temps. By the time we set up for the show it was in the 50's. The day the show opened, it started drizzling, miserably. And he's a freelance oil painter - all original works on canvas, no prints, hence it's expensive. Many are quite large. Examples from some shows we did in 2005 can be seen here:

http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/332698141UtcsuJ

The Edina show, while entitled, "Fall into the Arts", was more of a "crafts fair". You know the type, people selling tie-dyed or batik'd clothing, cute little purses, beaded jewelry, stuff like that. Even if the weather had been fantastic there wasn't anyone in that crowd who would have purchased artwork like his. Heck, even the crafters were complaining about how bad the show was.

We still had a good time in the area, just not while working at the show :-p

Fraidy

Back
Top Bottom