"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 01-20-2006, 09:20 PM   #1
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Thumbs up MN - Minnesota eateries?

If one's travels bring the to Minnesota, it usually constitutes going through the Twin Cities area (unless you are following I 90). From the standpoint of places to eat that are Minnesota exclusive, I don't know of many. Of those I know, the highest category they would all in to is classy/dressy casual. My all time favorite is Timberlodge Steakhouse. Used to be called Minnesota Steakhouse, but they are planning on expanding outside of Minnesota.

The Timberlodge Steakhouse runs with the theme of Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox. Everything is served in very hearty portions. The eating utensils are oversized as well. The atmosphere is very mellow and arguably romantic. The lighting is usually somewhat dim. Pricing is fairly reasonable. Most steaks are in the $15 to 20 range, with some higher and lower. Mrs. Big Dog and I usually wind up spending $50 for both of us, tip included (no adult beverages). These restaurants are readily found throughout the Twin Cities area, so if ther ewas interest to stop little more then general information RE: your route would be needed to locate the closest, most convenient location.

There are finer dining establishments, but frankly I have never been to them because I can't afford them.

If you go to the Mall of America, there are countless eating establishments there, but I do not think any of them are Minnesota exclusive. Well, except the Twin City Grill. Haven't been there, but have a gift card to go. From the looks of it, the restaurant is a step up from the Timberlodge, but classy casual is still reasonable dress.

Old 01-23-2006, 01:07 PM   #2
Master Chef

I love to go here: Nye's Polonaise

Not for the food, but for the bizzare retro vibe.

Old 01-23-2006, 02:45 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
I love to go here: Nye's Polonaise

Not for the food, but for the bizzare retro vibe.
I love their prime rib. When I used to frequent it more often they would give me an end cut when I requested it - heaven on earth!
Old 01-24-2006, 10:52 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

And if you liked Nye's...you would love Mayslacks. http://www.mayslacks.com/
Old 01-24-2006, 05:57 PM   #5
Master Chef

Mayslacks is SO going on my list to visit next time I am there!!!

Old 01-24-2006, 06:43 PM   #6
Master Chef

Before I stopped going out I used to love Twin City Grill, which was the only normal eating establishment in the Mall. There is a wonderful steak house in downtown Minneapolis, Many’s. It is not cheap; also, there is Lindy’s that has 3 things on the menu: steak, steak and steak. It is an interesting experience and steak is by far the best one I ever had or at least somewhere up there. Also expensive. There is café Latte on Grand it is a must if you are in S.Paul. Byerly’s, our famous carpeted grocery store has wonderful soups and all you can eat fish fry on Fridays, it is really good. If you are in Eagan and are hungry for Chinese there is China Buffet, excellent place. The info though reliable is a bit old, I haven’t been in any of these places for a while now.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:40 PM   #7
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
I know about Manny's down town. Still costs precious body parts to eat there. Lindy's . . . . are you meaning the place off of Snelling and 51, not far from Bethel University? Been by there, but never eaten there. Looks good, though.

If you're not looking for Minnesota exclusive fare, and are coming in on 94 fomr the 'Sconsin side, The Machine Shed is just off the Radio Drive exit. On the (north)west side of the Twin Cities there is a Cracker Barrel, as well as one just south of the 35E/W merge in Lakeville (about 5 minutes from my house).
Old 01-24-2006, 09:52 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
Mayslacks is SO going on my list to visit next time I am there!!!

When Stan was the owner, there was a huge "Nobody Beats Stan's Meat" sign and the waitresses were all comedians. He's passed on, but try the garlic beef sandwich - it is still awesome!
Old 01-25-2006, 01:18 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
I'm really wanting to make it up there someday. My wife's cousin lives up there. The town escapes me at the moment. I'll check, and get back on it.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:36 PM   #10
Master Chef

Yes it is on Sneling,

Tags
minnesota, mn