"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 07-13-2009, 10:10 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Thanks for your replies all;

The BoardSMITH - thanks for the bbq society link. it's great! "Barbecue Capital of the World"? Big words that bear a serious investigation.

jet - the international cafe will definitely get checked out. thanks

bethzaring - howdy doody to you, too. like the dalai lama quote.

Silversage - what a sad state of affairs! can't obama do anything about this??? Luckily, I'll be getting out of state too, so thick juicy burgers are still on the hit list!

merstar - both of those homepages have got me drooling. yum-yum

kitchenelf - I will DEFINITELY be stopping by at both Eb's BBQ and South End Brewery. Wood-fired apple cobbler? Are you serious? I'm gonna rent a table & move in.

bourbon - if your serious, pm me. I'll make it if I can, with fork in hand!

CasperImproved - "Philso - Better yet, how about you spend your absence time with having something to say that has benefit to all?

Where do *you* think good BBQ exists? Etc.?

Bob "

Well bless my soul if there aren't people around lacking in the good manners that even our Neanderthal ancestors had! Did I inadvertantly step on your toes or something? When I was hanging here regularly, I never heard of anyone being so impolite. What's with the "Better yet, ..." business? I've given enough people on this board enough good info in the past, so excuuuuse me if you think I'm some sort of leech on the good people of this board. But even if that weren't so, it's no reason to be rude. The last time I looked, everyone on this board from the newest to the oldest members were allowed to ask questions of each other without being accosted to cough up some positive benefit first.
Where is the "benefit to all" in your own little reply to my post, other than making yourself feel smug? People have reasons for not being around. Perhaps if your wife had been flat on her back in bed with cancer for the last 4 years or so, and you had a family to raise, business to run, employees & customers to deal with, laundry to wash, shopping, cooking, banking, dishes to wash, payrolls to meet, and just generally running yourself ragged from early in the morning to late at night to keep things together for your family, well perhaps just maybe you wouldn't have the time to hang around on this board or be so fast on the draw with the snide comments, Mr. Casper-Could-Use-a-Little-Mannerwise-Improving! How about taking your own advice and saying something positive that will "benefit all"?

To anyone else, let me apologize profusely for breaking the general decorum of this board with the above little tirade. Sorry. Rude people get my hackles up. It's a personal flaw. I'll proceed with all due civility forthwith.

Tattrat - long time no see. hope you and yours have been doing well. fantastic little link there. I almost missed it, but it won't go to waste. And by the way, have no fear about the seafood issue. I'll be wending my way back home to Newport, R.I., where I will diligently indulge!

Old 07-13-2009, 10:17 AM   #12
Head Chef

When I was working in Salisbury I regulary ate breakfast at Hendrix BBQ. The one at 2488 Statesville Blvd.

It has been a few years so I don't know if it has changed but I still remember the food.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:07 PM   #13
Flour Child

I realize this is an old thread and your trip to North Carolina is but a memory now but I just had to share this "favorite grits dish from a favorite NC restaurant" that others may find beneficial. (I use to live in Japan too, Philso...Hyama and Yokohama. I now have lived in North Carolina for 10 years.)

You mentioned grits. Hands down is a dish served at Southern Seasons in Chapel Hill (home of Duke University) called "Shrimp and Grits"...and trust me...it's not just shrimp and grits! It's pricey at $14 for lunch but it's unbelievable with chorizo sausage, tomato, mushrooms, stone-ground grits, and a chipolte veal sauce that is to die for. I made this at home and left the veal out and i never missed it.
Click here for their lunch menu:
http://www.southernseason.com/graphi...unch091014.pdf

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:31 PM   #14
Head Chef

Mollyanne, ......
Duke (down here we spell it DOOK), is in DURHAM, not in CHAPEL HILL.
Chapel Hill is home of the UNC Tarheels.

Sorry, but as an alumni of UNC, just had to make this correction.
Although Duke is only about 7 miles away.....

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:34 AM   #15
Flour Child

I see you're no fool afterall

...oh, and speaking of "fool"...Happy April Fool's Day, GrillingFool

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:17 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
I realize this is an old thread and your trip to North Carolina is but a memory now but I just had to share this "favorite grits dish from a favorite NC restaurant" that others may find beneficial. (I use to live in Japan too, Philso...Hyama and Yokohama. I now have lived in North Carolina for 10 years.)

You mentioned grits. Hands down is a dish served at Southern Seasons in Chapel Hill (home of Duke University) called "Shrimp and Grits"...and trust me...it's not just shrimp and grits! It's pricey at $14 for lunch but it's unbelievable with chorizo sausage, tomato, mushrooms, stone-ground grits, and a chipolte veal sauce that is to die for. I made this at home and left the veal out and i never missed it.
Click here for their lunch menu:
http://www.southernseason.com/graphi...unch091014.pdf
thanks for the recommendation.

my trip back last year turned out to be a total fiasco (bid on a house but didn't get it, got sick & spent a week in the hospital, etc.), so i'm heading back in a few months. i'll be sure to stop by if i get the chance.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:00 AM   #17
Flour Child

...oh that sounds dreadful...it can only get better, philso. And it's a buyer's market now with incentives from the gov't if you're a first time homebuyer or you can sell your existing home by April 30th (rather impossible at this point i guess...but maybe you already have).

Be well...mollyanne

Tags
north carolina