NC - Charlotte, Greensboro & Raleigh ... where to eat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philso

Senior Cook
After an absence from this board for maybe a year or so, I'm here to beg for your recommendations. Oh, and long time no see, too, and hope you are all doing well.

For the first time in 5 or 6 years, I'll be getting back to the states for about a month. I'll planning to indulge my every culinary whim while I'm there. I've even dropped a few pounds for the express purpose of putting it back on when I get there!!
I'll be spending probably 2 or 3 weeks in North Carolina; Charlotte, Greensboro & Raleigh.

Where should I eat??? I want it all!!! I want the best pies in the state! The thickest, juiciest hamburgers! Grits! The best biscuits smothered in the best gravy! Where are the best sandwich shops? I want Italian, too! And don't forget Mexican!! Pizza! Gotta get some decent pizza!!! Polish! Blinis! French toast made from Challah bread! Oh, and barbeque too!! Done over real charcoal!

I know I'm forgetting tons, so lay it on. But don't bother with any Japanese restaurants. I don't want to go within 50 yards of a bowl of rice or noodles, or a plate of sushi!!

I want AMERICAN food!!!

And I don't mean McDonalds, Pizza Hut or Kentucky Fried Chicken!:sick:

But fried chicken does sound good! :winkiss:

Where can I get some good fried chicken??? ;)

For BBQ, go to www.NCBBQSociety.com. On the left side of the page click on the Barbecue Trail link. That is a list of the best barbecue restaurants in the state from the coast to the mountains. Most aren't fancy but all are voted to be the best in the state. From eastern style to Lexington style, it is all there.

Grits.....Look for the small diners in each town. (In Greensboro check out Carolina's Diner, quality food at a reasonable price with the biscuits and gravy you asked for. Either milk gravy or sausage gravy.)

Fried chicken.....I have yet to find a restaurant that does this well enough for me to pay for it. I much prefer my own.

Have fun in NC and eat yourself silly. When I returned from Viet Nam in 1970, I did the same!

I was in Fayetteville a few years back, and as I recall, you couldn't go wrong with Mexican food.

In Raleigh, there was an international cafe near the federal courthouse. As you exit the courthouse, walk past the post office and it was about a block down on the right.

You can't get a good hamburger in NC! If you're in Charlotte, cross the border to South Carolina for a hamburger. There's some kind of state regulation that they can't serve a burger anything other than well done! I just came back to Florida from there (I spent a year and a half working in NC) and the first thing I did here was to order a decent hamburger!

Now as far as BBQ goes, that's a whole different story........

And try Macintoshes Steak house in Charlotte - it's fantastic!

Eb's BBQ in Indian Trail - not far from Charlotte. This girl and her husband opened it. She is a member here at DC, but, since opening simply doesn't have time to hang out here. THE most wonderful BBQ and truly "real" bbq. They make their own sauces. You shouldn't miss it!!!!

Yes, the state of North Carolina has a law where you can't order a burger less than medium well due to health codes UNLESS the meat is ground on premise. So, that means you come to my house! :LOL:

South End Brewery has GREAT wood fired pizza. Wood-fired apple cobbler - seriously!!!

La Paz has good Mexican food.

I'll ask a friend of mine, who lives in Charlotte, what he suggests.

Too bad you weren't going to the other end of NC. I live right on the border and I'd fix ya up some real good BBQ

After an absence from this board for maybe a year or so, I'm here to beg for your recommendations. Oh, and long time no see, too, and hope you are all doing well.

Philso - Better yet, how about you spend your absence time with having something to say that has benefit to all?

Where do *you* think good BBQ exists? Etc.?

Bob

Thanks for your replies all;

The BoardSMITH - thanks for the bbq society link. it's great! "Barbecue Capital of the World"? Big words that bear a serious investigation.

jet - the international cafe will definitely get checked out. thanks

bethzaring - howdy doody to you, too. like the dalai lama quote.

Silversage - what a sad state of affairs! can't obama do anything about this??? Luckily, I'll be getting out of state too, so thick juicy burgers are still on the hit list!

merstar - both of those homepages have got me drooling. yum-yum

kitchenelf - I will DEFINITELY be stopping by at both Eb's BBQ and South End Brewery. Wood-fired apple cobbler? Are you serious? I'm gonna rent a table & move in.

bourbon - if your serious, pm me. I'll make it if I can, with fork in hand!

CasperImproved - "Philso - Better yet, how about you spend your absence time with having something to say that has benefit to all?

Where do *you* think good BBQ exists? Etc.?

Bob " :huh:

Well bless my soul if there aren't people around lacking in the good manners that even our Neanderthal ancestors had! Did I inadvertantly step on your toes or something? When I was hanging here regularly, I never heard of anyone being so impolite. What's with the "Better yet, ..." business? I've given enough people on this board enough good info in the past, so excuuuuse me if you think I'm some sort of leech on the good people of this board. But even if that weren't so, it's no reason to be rude. The last time I looked, everyone on this board from the newest to the oldest members were allowed to ask questions of each other without being accosted to cough up some positive benefit first.
Where is the "benefit to all" in your own little reply to my post, other than making yourself feel smug? People have reasons for not being around. Perhaps if your wife had been flat on her back in bed with cancer for the last 4 years or so, and you had a family to raise, business to run, employees & customers to deal with, laundry to wash, shopping, cooking, banking, dishes to wash, payrolls to meet, and just generally running yourself ragged from early in the morning to late at night to keep things together for your family, well perhaps just maybe you wouldn't have the time to hang around on this board or be so fast on the draw with the snide comments, Mr. Casper-Could-Use-a-Little-Mannerwise-Improving! How about taking your own advice and saying something positive that will "benefit all"?

To anyone else, let me apologize profusely for breaking the general decorum of this board with the above little tirade. Sorry.:unhappy: Rude people get my hackles up. It's a personal flaw. I'll proceed with all due civility forthwith.

Tattrat - long time no see. hope you and yours have been doing well. fantastic little link there. I almost missed it, but it won't go to waste. And by the way, have no fear about the seafood issue. I'll be wending my way back home to Newport, R.I., where I will diligently indulge! ;)

When I was working in Salisbury I regulary ate breakfast at Hendrix BBQ. The one at 2488 Statesville Blvd.

It has been a few years so I don't know if it has changed but I still remember the food.

I realize this is an old thread and your trip to North Carolina is but a memory now but I just had to share this "favorite grits dish from a favorite NC restaurant" that others may find beneficial. (I use to live in Japan too, Philso...Hyama and Yokohama. I now have lived in North Carolina for 10 years.)

You mentioned grits. Hands down is a dish served at Southern Seasons in Chapel Hill (home of Duke University) called "Shrimp and Grits"...and trust me...it's not just shrimp and grits! It's pricey at $14 for lunch but it's unbelievable with chorizo sausage, tomato, mushrooms, stone-ground grits, and a chipolte veal sauce that is to die for. I made this at home and left the veal out and i never missed it.
Click here for their lunch menu:
http://www.southernseason.com/graphics/menu/lunch091014.pdf

Mollyanne, ......
Duke (down here we spell it DOOK), is in DURHAM, not in CHAPEL HILL.
Chapel Hill is home of the UNC Tarheels.

Sorry, but as an alumni of UNC, just had to make this correction.
Although Duke is only about 7 miles away.....

I realize this is an old thread and your trip to North Carolina is but a memory now but I just had to share this "favorite grits dish from a favorite NC restaurant" that others may find beneficial. (I use to live in Japan too, Philso...Hyama and Yokohama. I now have lived in North Carolina for 10 years.)

You mentioned grits. Hands down is a dish served at Southern Seasons in Chapel Hill (home of Duke University) called "Shrimp and Grits"...and trust me...it's not just shrimp and grits! It's pricey at $14 for lunch but it's unbelievable with chorizo sausage, tomato, mushrooms, stone-ground grits, and a chipolte veal sauce that is to die for. I made this at home and left the veal out and i never missed it.
Click here for their lunch menu:
http://www.southernseason.com/graphics/menu/lunch091014.pdf

thanks for the recommendation.

my trip back last year turned out to be a total fiasco (bid on a house but didn't get it, got sick & spent a week in the hospital, etc.), so i'm heading back in a few months. i'll be sure to stop by if i get the chance. ;)

...oh that sounds dreadful...it can only get better, philso. And it's a buyer's market now with incentives from the gov't if you're a first time homebuyer or you can sell your existing home by April 30th (rather impossible at this point i guess...but maybe you already have).

Be well...mollyanne

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom