"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food
Old 07-11-2009, 03:44 AM   #1
Senior Cook
NC - Charlotte, Greensboro & Raleigh ... where to eat?

After an absence from this board for maybe a year or so, I'm here to beg for your recommendations. Oh, and long time no see, too, and hope you are all doing well.

For the first time in 5 or 6 years, I'll be getting back to the states for about a month. I'll planning to indulge my every culinary whim while I'm there. I've even dropped a few pounds for the express purpose of putting it back on when I get there!!
I'll be spending probably 2 or 3 weeks in North Carolina; Charlotte, Greensboro & Raleigh.

Where should I eat??? I want it all!!! I want the best pies in the state! The thickest, juiciest hamburgers! Grits! The best biscuits smothered in the best gravy! Where are the best sandwich shops? I want Italian, too! And don't forget Mexican!! Pizza! Gotta get some decent pizza!!! Polish! Blinis! French toast made from Challah bread! Oh, and barbeque too!! Done over real charcoal!

I know I'm forgetting tons, so lay it on. But don't bother with any Japanese restaurants. I don't want to go within 50 yards of a bowl of rice or noodles, or a plate of sushi!!

I want AMERICAN food!!!

And I don't mean McDonalds, Pizza Hut or Kentucky Fried Chicken!

But fried chicken does sound good!

Where can I get some good fried chicken???

let me make sure that wine's ok before i use it.
philso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 05:54 AM   #2
Assistant Cook
For BBQ, go to www.NCBBQSociety.com. On the left side of the page click on the Barbecue Trail link. That is a list of the best barbecue restaurants in the state from the coast to the mountains. Most aren't fancy but all are voted to be the best in the state. From eastern style to Lexington style, it is all there.

Grits.....Look for the small diners in each town. (In Greensboro check out Carolina's Diner, quality food at a reasonable price with the biscuits and gravy you asked for. Either milk gravy or sausage gravy.)

Fried chicken.....I have yet to find a restaurant that does this well enough for me to pay for it. I much prefer my own.

Have fun in NC and eat yourself silly. When I returned from Viet Nam in 1970, I did the same!

David Smith
The BoardSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:38 AM   #3
Sous Chef
I was in Fayetteville a few years back, and as I recall, you couldn't go wrong with Mexican food.

In Raleigh, there was an international cafe near the federal courthouse. As you exit the courthouse, walk past the post office and it was about a block down on the right.
Ravings of an Amateur Foodie
jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:31 AM   #4
Executive Chef
hey, philso, good to see you...don't have a clue about NC, but here's a big howdy to you!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 03:13 PM   #5
Sous Chef
You can't get a good hamburger in NC! If you're in Charlotte, cross the border to South Carolina for a hamburger. There's some kind of state regulation that they can't serve a burger anything other than well done! I just came back to Florida from there (I spent a year and a half working in NC) and the first thing I did here was to order a decent hamburger!

Now as far as BBQ goes, that's a whole different story........

And try Macintoshes Steak house in Charlotte - it's fantastic!
Silversage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 04:12 PM   #6
Head Chef
The Village Tavern has excellent hamburgers - I've gone to the one in Greensboro several times, although the last time I was there was about a year ago:
Village Tavern - Restaurant - An Unforgettable Dining Experience!

For pizza, try Elizabeth's - they have several locations. I've also tried their linguine and clam sauce at the Bridford location, which was very good:
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces."
merstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:27 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Eb's BBQ in Indian Trail - not far from Charlotte. This girl and her husband opened it. She is a member here at DC, but, since opening simply doesn't have time to hang out here. THE most wonderful BBQ and truly "real" bbq. They make their own sauces. You shouldn't miss it!!!!

Yes, the state of North Carolina has a law where you can't order a burger less than medium well due to health codes UNLESS the meat is ground on premise. So, that means you come to my house!

South End Brewery has GREAT wood fired pizza. Wood-fired apple cobbler - seriously!!!

La Paz has good Mexican food.

I'll ask a friend of mine, who lives in Charlotte, what he suggests.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:07 PM   #8
Senior Cook
Too bad you weren't going to the other end of NC. I live right on the border and I'd fix ya up some real good BBQ
bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:40 PM   #9
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by philso View Post
After an absence from this board for maybe a year or so, I'm here to beg for your recommendations. Oh, and long time no see, too, and hope you are all doing well.

Philso - Better yet, how about you spend your absence time with having something to say that has benefit to all?

Where do *you* think good BBQ exists? Etc.?

If eating tasty stuff is a sin, I am certainly going south.
CasperImproved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:23 AM   #10
The Dude Abides
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Restaurants Charlotte | Yelp

actually some really great places in Charlotte, and a surprising amount of diversity.

Too bad you aren't going more coastal, can't beat the fresh seafood.

TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote

north carolina