"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 06-28-2006, 04:05 PM   #11
Senior Cook

No problemo, 'Bug.... That's what this is all about, right? Sharing info?

Ciao,

Old 06-29-2006, 08:59 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

I'm from the Outer Banks area. Just wanted to let you know that you HAVE to go to Basnight's Lone Cedar! It's on the causeway between Nags Head and Manteo. If you're coming from Duck it will be just before the bridge on 12 on the left. Tale of the Whale is right there too. They have the best crab imperial. EVERYTHING is going to be touristy right now for the most part.
Lone Cedar generally has a live music on weekends. Great views of the sound at both places.
I hope you have a wonderful vacation!

Old 06-29-2006, 03:39 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks, Jen! appreciate another tip!
Old 07-05-2006, 10:14 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Hey Mud,
I'm assuming you're still there but wanted to know where you've been so far. We went down for the day today and had lunch at Awful Arthur's. It was good as always. Just another one for you to add to the bunch if you haven't been yet. I want to say it's around MP 6 on the beach road.
Hope you're having a good trip.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:12 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi everybody. We're back and I don't have a lot to tell, darn it. We brought waaaay too much food with us and ended up eating in most nights.

First thing I did was buy some peaches from the roadside guy (yep, marm, they were from SC) to make cobbler. I made two of them during the week. Also got blackberries and blueberries and made a third and fourth dessert with those (including texasgirl's contribution of the blueberry cheesecake bars, which received rave reviews).

Tried Blue Point on Thursday but they were already booked up thru Sunday, the day after we had to leave.

Ate at Dirty Dick's because of daughter's request to photograph the sign and regretted it. Terrible mix-out-of-the-can margaritas and dry overcooked shrimp. Bathrooms were filthy.

Handy Husband cooked ribs one night on the gas grill (sacrilege! but they were pretty good) and ribeyes another night.

The best meal we had was one our friends provided - boiling pots. You buy these from some place up in Currituck. Ours contained mussels, clams, and crab legs, plus a bunch of corn, potatoes, and onions. (You can also get them with lobster.) Each pot contains taters/onions on the bottom, followed by a mesh bag with the seafood, topped by the corn, and some ice. You add a cup of water or wine and let the thing boil/steam for 20 minutes.

We also had a couple of large styrofoam containers full of steamed shrimp to nibble on while the pots boiled.

Our rented house was perfect, with a pool and hot tub, so we have pre-registered for the same house at the same time next year. Note to self - make reservations the day we get there for some of these restaurants so kindly recommended by my friends here.

p.s. to RedBedHead - we ate at Awful Arthur's last year. It was waaay good, but the crowd to get in was so large we didn't get to eat until 10 p.m. Not the best thing when you've been driving all day.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:25 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

You have to go to Tortuga's Lie. It is around mile post 11.5. Excellent food. We eat there multiple times when we visit. Small place, neat atmosphere. Last meal I had was blackened tuna, on a bed of baby spinach with strawberries marinated in balsamic vinagrette sprinkled all around.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:09 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks, rede. Don't you love how all the directions for places in OBX are by the mileposts? I'll return to this thread when it comes time to start making the serious plans for our next trip (Plan 1 - buy peaches).
Old 09-29-2006, 07:11 PM   #18
Senior Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FraidKnot
Roadside Stands

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
thanks, rede. Don't you love how all the directions for places in OBX are by the mileposts? I'll return to this thread when it comes time to start making the serious plans for our next trip (Plan 1 - buy peaches).
On the way north from Beaufort, SC up to Waltersboro, SC they have peach and pecan stands. You can also buy those wonderful boiled green peanuts. Some are hotly spiced, others are just brined. It's a strange, southern U.S. thing and absolutely delicious.

Fraidy
Old 11-15-2006, 09:21 AM   #19
Master Chef

I'm going to Duck this weekend. One of the places we like to go is the Black Pelican. It's in the old coast guard station where the Wright Brothers sent their famous telegram to their father about their successful flight. Their claim to fame is oven fired pizza. They have unusual toppings and the crust is really crispy with the woody flavor of the fire. Another place is the Jolly Roger. Decor tacky but interesting. Food good! They make a great steak salad! Hugh with big chunks of grilled steak on a bed of lettuce with tomatoes eggs and all sorts of other stuff. Their seafood is good too. They have pasta but I don't think anyone tried it since we do pasta at home alot.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:42 AM   #20
Senior Cook

OBX Before the Summer Crowd

I just spent the weekend at my bud's beach house (MP12) on the beach road. We ate at a decent lunch at Tortuga's Lie. Somewhere I've got their menu, but can't seem to locate it right now. Also, my bud - with whom I went to culinary school - has a niece who worked at Tortuga's during the summer when she was attending ECU.

Anyway, I digress, we also ate at Lone Cedar near the causeway to Manteo on Saturday evening. VERY nice! Even though it wasn't in-season there was a wait. Since my bud is a smoker (much to my disdain), we were easily sat.

Physically the place has had some recent renovation. In fact, the dining room still smelled like 'new carpet.'

One of the year round restaurants I remember taking my dad to some years ago had a marquee up saying "Opening March 7." I noticed several other signs stating the same thing.

We had breakfast on Sunday morning at Grits Grill. It's a coffee shop/Krispi Kreme shop. Yeah, all the cops and sheriffs were there too. Anyway, our breakfast was less than spectacular. Her "over easy" egg had seen WAY too much griddle time. One was medium, at best, the other straight out H-A-R-D. However, the pancakes were H-U-G-E. So, at least on MY plate, I was satisified.

Anyway, for those looking for where to eat. If you see license plates starting with OBX, they are locals!

Ciao,

Tags
north carolina