"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 06-24-2006, 03:48 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

NC - Outer Banks Area eateries?

We are going again this year - leaving next weekend, to be exact. We are staying in Duck.

Wondering if any of you newer members have any good suggestions for eating out. We will mostly be cooking our own stuff, but will enjoy going out for the odd breakfast, lunch, or dinner during the week.

We hit several of the touristy joints last year, which were fine for what they are, but would love to know about some unknown hole-in-the-wall within a reasonable driving distance that we should try - if such exists.

Old 06-26-2006, 04:46 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Mudbug,

I live a couple hours west of OBX. One thing I can tell you is all those restaurants change from season to season depending on the skill level and quality of cooks, sous' and chefs they acquire and those who return.

Right now the season's still VERY young and early. I haven't heard any good or bads one way or another. (Also, the weather sucks now too. LOTS of SERIOUS T-storms and potential flooding.)

There was a small little hole-in-the-wall that served quite decent Cuban sammies (paninnis), I THINK in the Food Lion plaza on hwy 12. I don't know what mile marker that's at, but it's south of Duck around Kitty Hawk.

If you like microbrew beer, Weeping Radish in Manteo's pretty good. The food, I'm sorry to say, had really gone downhill last year. That isn't to say it wouldn't be great this month!

Virginia Beach, a much bigger city is about 2 hrs from Duck, depending on traffic. There's a lot to offer. Tattrat lives and works there. Perhaps he will see this and offer some advice. If not, PM him.

Ciao,

Old 06-26-2006, 04:57 PM   #3
Executive Chef

If you're going to be doing some of your own meals, be sure to search out the local seafood mongers - shrimp season is IN!!! Also in Charleston, right down the road - er, water - they're catching lots of snapper, grouper and flounder. Yum!

Oh - and hit the veggie markets too - corn should be in, as are peaches and blackberries!
Old 06-27-2006, 04:05 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I hear you, Steve. We've got that sucky weather up here in NoVa and I'm praying it all blows out to sea by the weekend. You are kind of confirming my idea about the quality of the restaurants - as seasonal as the tourists. Will see if we can find the place with the Cuban sandwiches.

Won't be making a side trip to VA Beach now, but my sister lives there too, so I will ask Tattrat before we go down there to visit next time.

ty for your insight!

marm - ty. good point about the local mongers, if we can find some. I'm already hoping I can get peaches at the roadside stand as fantabulous as last year's!
Old 06-27-2006, 04:27 PM   #5
Senior Cook

'Bug,

The Food Lion I mentioned carries some of the best, freshest and certainly local, fish I found in that area. I am by no means promoting them, just offering a comment.

Otherwise, you can find shrimpers all over the place.

Ciao,
Old 06-27-2006, 07:36 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Mudbug, I think NC may be a week or two behind us; our peaches are just coming in now and they're wonderful - a good year!
Old 06-28-2006, 07:08 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Peaches; haven't seen the county's roadside stall set up for them yet.

I had worked for a sous chef in VB many moons ago who left that restaurant to go to duck. I can only remember his first name was "Mike." He had LONG sandy blond hair. Of course, by now he could be bald. I wish I knew or remember which establishment he went to.

DO report your findings. You know the entire OBX area is loaded and littered with restaurants up and down 12. One of the best indicators is the parking lot method. Lots of cars=probably a good spot. Another, and this is a little more specific is the license plate method. The Outer Banks has their own coded license plate - many start with OBX and four digits. You'll notice that right away.

Ciao,
Old 06-28-2006, 07:18 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Duuuuhhh... Sometimes I don't think about thinking! I just remembered one of the guys I went to culinary school lives in Manteo. I just sent him an email asking for recommendations.

He's no longer in the business, but it's always good to keep up with folks, eh?

Ciao,
Old 06-28-2006, 02:37 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Okay. 'Bug. This just in from my friend in Manteo. These are his picks and I cannot vouch for them, only that he's been around the block a BUNCH of times and I'd go with 'em:

Quote:
BLUE POINT, SANDERLING, LEFT BANK AND ROADSIDE RAWBAR ARE ALL IN DUCK, OCEAN BOULEVARD AND CHILI PEPPER'S ON THE BEACH.
Take it for what it's worth.

Ciao,
Old 06-28-2006, 03:57 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Wow, Steve - thanks for going the extra mile for me! Only one quibble with the parking lot method of analysis - do the natives really hang around once the tourists start swarming??

Will try to check out at least one or two of those places while we're there. We DID eat at the Sunset Grille last year (on the Sound side) and it was pretty good.

Marm, come to think of it - I believe the peaches I bought last year were from either SC or GA.

I will report back.

Tags
north carolina