NC - Raleigh/Durham area, Washington DC area, and along the road inbetween?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inthekitchen

Assistant Cook
I go between these areas quite a bit. Any input on your absolute favorite restaurant when at any of these cities or stops in between? I don't care what type of food, just tell me what your personal favorite is! Thanks

I can tell you about a couple of places in downtown DC near where I used to work:

Palette: at 15th and M Streets, part of the Madison Hotel. Pricey hipster hangout, but good food, innovative bar drinks.

Sweet Georgia Brown's: 15th and I (?) Streets (McPherson Square Metro stop, White House exit). Wonderful low country food.

Bobby Van's: 14th Street, basically across McPherson Square from Sweet Georgia Brown's. Fabulous steaks and other manly foods.

DC is full of great restaurants. As mudbug said, Sweet Georgia Brown's is good. Have heard nothing but wonderful things about Bobby Van's, although I haven't eaten there.

I tend to eat at less expensive, often ethnic places.

A few favorites, both in the city and around are:

Amma Indian Vegetarian in Georgetown
Bombay Curry Company in Alexandria
Five Guys for burgers (chain in various locations, including Alexandria)
Lauriol Plaza for Tex-Mex in Dupont
Panjshir for Afghan in Falls Church
Pho 75 for pho in Arlington
Southside 815 in Alexandria for American/Southern
Taquiera el Pablano for super-cheap Mexican in Alexandria (v. small - can be crowded)
Pasha Cafe for great Egyptian food in North Arlington

I also like Ethiopian a lot - Adams Morgan has a few good restaurants (Meskerem has very nice atmosphere). Up and coming Ethiopian area around 12th & U with great restaurants like Dukem.

I also really like Levantes in Dupont - nice restuarant design by Adams & Demetriou with a great outdoor eating area when the weather's nice for mediterranean cuisine.

DC Coast (14th & K) is also nice.

Can't beat the Hotel Washington on 15th street for drinks with a sunset view.

If you are looking to grab a snack - Marvelous Market in Dupont & Upper Northwest (as well as other locations) has great snacks - especially their gingerbread - as well as sandwiches.

Fabulous Italian sandwiches (but not really good for sit down - just a few tables) at The Italian Store in North Arlington

You also may want to check out the best buys and very best lists produced by the Washingtonian magazine. Here's the link:
http://www.washingtonian.com/dining/

Never been to Raleigh/Durham, but if I were going, I would go to the Magnolia Grill - have a cookbook of theirs & it's supposed to be great. I would probably also check out Foster's Market there, too, although I don't know if it's really a restaurant as far as atmosphere goes.

Enjoy!
Andrea

Last edited:
we had been to this restaurant with this extraordinary buffalo burgers somewhere around Washington, D.C. ....
but I can`t remeber where that was and what it's called or if it still exists...

cara, sorry I can't help you w/the buffalo burgers question. If I hear anything, I will pass it on.

Andrea, you obviously got around more than me. Impressive list! The only place on your list I know anything about is Five Guys (strongly recommended, inthekitchen-they're everywhere up here).

I probably had an advantage -- I consider it my hometown - I lived there (in the city and just over the river in VA and most recently in MD) from 1979 until about 3 months ago (not counting stints away for college & grad school) ;)

I totally agree, ironchef. I've been hearing about this place ever since we moved here 8 plus years ago. Still can't afford to go, but one of these days.........

It's also in a lovely part of Virginia. You gets your scenic views and a good meal to boot.

I think Maggiano's is in Durham. Really great, family style Italian restaurant. And I enjoyed my visit to the Angus Barn in Raleigh for steaks.

Back
Top Bottom