"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 03-30-2009, 11:31 AM   #11
Master Chef

Personally, I think their food is pretty bad. It's a cheap burgers/wings type chain.

There is one close by my house. I'd like to support them because they train people at a local homeless shelter (Pine Street Inn) to work at their restaurants, but I really can't see spending money on crappy food.

Their beer is good and cold though. I will give them that.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:47 AM   #12
Sous Chef

It's one of those chains that hangs random stuff on the wall and attempts to throw an image of having been in the neighborhood for decades.

To me it's one of the same with Applebees, Chilis, TGIF, Olive Garden, Longhorn, Crackerbarrel, Unos, etc. Developers put one in town a year or two ago to compete with the near-by Applebees.

They started us with a basket of complimentary popcorn (it's cheaper than bread and butter). Ours was stale, so we set it aside.

Beer was indeed cold in chilled mugs, and they had some great microbrews on tap like Berkshire Brewing Company.

We ordered the special that night which was highly recommended by the waitress "Prime Rib". Mine came sloshing in 1/4" of broth totally gray from center to edge. We ended up paying the almost $50 bill and picking up some spring rolls and sichuan string beans with steamed rice at a local chinese/japanese place we are regulars at.

The guy across from our booth had a burger and fries which looked okay. If I was forced to go back I would probably stick with something simple like that.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:57 AM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Mosher View Post
It's one of those chains that hangs random stuff on the wall and attempts to throw an image of having been in the neighborhood for decades.
That is not the case with all of them I can assure you. Actually, none of the 9's I have been too (probably about 7 or 8 of them) have had the random stuff on the walls. The one I go to now (closest place to eat by my office) just has their own brand of advertising hanging on the walls or pictures of the local school sports teams and clubs. The advertising is a campaign of 99 reasons why you should choose the 9's. There are just a bunch of posters or whatever on the wall saying "reason #17, we can accommodate large groups" and things like that. The photos are things like Billerica High School Cheerleaders 1987, Billerica High Football team 1991, etc. Other than that, I do not think there are any other decorations.

I usually get a burger when I go there. they do make a decent burger. It is on a hearty good tasting roll and the burger is nice and big and they usually cook it right. The fries are seasoned and tasty. I have occasionally gotten the turkey panini which has Havarti cheese and avocado and cranberry sauce. It is served with rosemary Parmesan fries. That sandwich is OK, but not great. The fries are nice though. I am usually disappointed with the panini, but sometimes I just need a change of pace. They also have some sort of honey fried chicken dish that I get every once in a while. It comes with mashed potatoes and veggies. That one is not bad either. They chicken is always crispy and tasty and the potatoes are real. This is not high quality food, but I walk out of there with a full belly and about $10 lighter so it is not a bad deal.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:06 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

I like the 99, too. They have a good selection of "all-American" (if there's any such thing anymore) items, and you do get a good sized serving. I usually eat half of what is served and take home the other half for lunch the next day. While it's not a kid restaurant by any means, my kids like it, too
Old 06-09-2009, 04:43 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Mosher View Post
To me it's one of the same with Applebees, Chilis, TGIF, Olive Garden, Longhorn, Crackerbarrel, Unos, etc.
Don't go dissing on the Cracker Barrel now! I'll have to slap you upside the head with a country ham!

SRL is offline   Reply With Quote