"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 01-29-2007, 07:34 AM   #1
Sous Chef

NY - New York City ... Little Italy

Yesterday we went to Little Italy with the future in-laws.The sites and aromas of Mulberry Street are enouigh to keep your stomach growling even after you have eaten "a little something".We had dinner at Pellegrinos,the food was incredible. The Zuppa de pesce seemed to be filled with every last delicatable fish from the ocean.The veal sorrentino was so delicate and tender little chewing was required! Laurie (the future daughter in law and not much of a food adventuress) ordered baked ziti which was amazing as well.We opted to get dessert from a bakery and bring it home. We went into a place called Cafe de Palermo and ordered just about one of every pastry in the case. This place advertises themselves as the cannoli king and they weren't kidding.The cannolis as well as all the other pastries were fresh and delicious.
Now when I first came to DC I had asked for an Italian cookie recipe -Shavolette or Saviata as it's known, I have searched ALL over the internet for the recipe to no avail.The bakeries in the entire county where I live no longer carry this particular cookie so imagine how happy I was when in the window of Caffe de Roma was this beloved cookie!!! So here I sit with my coffee and box of cookies typing away!!!Of course I will be working out twice as often this week but, it is soooo worth it!
I hope this message finds everyone content with life and well!!!
Love and energy, Vicki

Old 01-29-2007, 08:21 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Vicki, cara mia, what a wonderful experience you had, I am so happy for you!! Great that you found an awesome cannoli, and the cookies you have been looking for!! Well you found it at "Cafè di Roma", but after 4 years in Rome I haven't even heard of either Shavolette or Saviata.. What are they made of, and look like? Maybe I will go for a further search here!!
Try to have fun working out too... wish I could join you!!

(((hugs))) Licia

p.s. you need to work with Laurie and teach her about all the good food and how to make them!! I bet Dennis will like that idea too

Old 01-29-2007, 09:44 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Would a saviata/shavolette cookie be the same as a "savoie" (aka genoise) cookie? I know this is a basic in a lot of Italian desserts. Could you give a description of this elusive cookie?
Old 01-29-2007, 11:59 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Here's what the cookies look like.

I took these two pics of the cookies before I ate them all .These cookies are a crisp cookie with a delicate almond flavor.The top has a shiny meringue glaze. They do look like the flavorless savadori used in alot of desserts such as tiramisu but, these are flatter and crispier and oh so heavenly. My father's scilian family calls them shavolette or savolette but,I have asked for them by that name in certain bakeries when I could find them and was told they were called saviata- I have no idea what origin of Italy they originated or if even maybe they were created here.But, I was like a kid at Christmas yesterday when I saw them in the bakery window!!
Love and energy, Vicki
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	momspictures 153.jpg
Views:	773
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	2383   Click image for larger version

Name:	momspictures 154.jpg
Views:	803
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	2384  

Old 01-29-2007, 12:51 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Indeed, as soon as I saw the pic, I thought "ah, they are savoiardi!!"... in fact I am quite fond of savoiardi even by themselves, the ones made well are actually quite tasty and much lighter than other types of cookies and sweets, I often munch on them heartily... But additional almond flavour must be wonderful to go with them, I know several good pasticcerias aroud town, so I shall ask around!!
Old 07-27-2007, 10:31 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Exclamation Looking for Special Cookie recipe

I copied your picture of cookies....This is the one! Please help if anyone has the recipe to make these cookies! No one is sure what they are called but some Saviordi or Lady Fingers recipes have not given the result like this picture that I am looking for. These used be be common in NY bakery, I live in Florida now and would really like to make some. Any one out there that may be able to help me? I will thank you 100 times.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:21 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Awesome post and thanks for sharing. I'm hungry now

-Aaron
Old 07-29-2007, 07:15 PM   #8
Sous Chef

I'll be keeping an eye on this post. I want to make some...dip them in my caffe` latte :)
Old 07-29-2007, 07:37 PM   #9
Head Chef

Those cookies do look yummy. While I have not tried these recipes, I found a few in a search:

Savoiardi
Old 07-29-2007, 08:37 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

About those white crispy cookies

Well I was able to find some more recipes to try. None of the Lady finger or Saviordi recipes have come out exactly right. This cookie is more crispy and like merigune melts in your mouth. But it also has substance with a chew to it. So far one of the past recipes I made titled self frosting Anise cookies has really come the closest but it must take a lot of skill to make these cookies and that is why it has been so hard to get the recipe. Even all the italian cookies my mom and grandma made this is one we never made at home they always just bought it from the bakery....now I think I know why...but it is really making me crazy, I just gotta have them!

Tags
new york, new york city, nyc