NY - New York City (NYC) ... where to eat on Thanksgiving Day?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would love to meet up with y'all if I am in NYC. Have been there quite a bit lately, so probably will stay up here. But you never know!

If Bucky wears his helmet, I'll wear my
1fruit_hat.gif

I love this idea.My future dil wants to go see the balloons being inflated the night before thanksgiving and I do too .She and I actually want to go to the parade but,we've been turned down by our other halves(do I have to claim them as my husband and son???)
I would LOVE to meet with you all-it sounds like fun!
love and energy, Vicki

I wish I could make it down, but it won't be happening this year :(

Mud and BT, have a few drinks for me! And Mudbug, if there is time and room in your belly then get over to Katz's Deli and get a pastrami sandwhich. You will not be sorry. That I promise!

That is very exciting - spending Thanksgiving in New York City - and seeing the Macy's Parade.

I know everyone will have a wonderful time.

Hey guys, I'd totally be up for a drink in the evening. I'm not entirely sure what my plans are for Thanksgiving, there is a slight chance I'll be away but if I am here, it would be fun. Although I must admit, I can be kind of shy. Just ask my sister, Corozon.

Wow, everybody - sounds like the makings of a party, which would be way cool, but here's the deal..........

Handy Husband, daughter (15) and I are coming up by train and arriving Wednesday afternoon and leaving Friday night. So the only evenings we have in NYC are Wednesday night or Turkey Day night. We want to go see them blow up the floats Wed night, whenever/wherever that is. Have not called around for where we are going to try to have dinner Thurs night yet, so the timing for that is still up in the air.

Won't leave daughter on her own to go to a bar unless HH stays with her, which is OK but not great because this is a Family Trip. I could maybe meet up with a group for a drink or two at the most and then leave you to carry on without me.

Anyway, that's as far as I've gotten to this point in plan-making. I knew Bucky works kinda near where we are staying so I thought it would be relatively easy to meet up for a quick mutual bop on the head and a toast to DC. But I would love to meet other nearby DC-ers if we can work out the logistics to everyone's satisfaction.

Thanks for all the great ideas. I've got some more Web crawling to do soon!

buckytom said:
chefjune, and opinionita, abj, and vb, jenny, gb, andy, vickiq, sandyj, and anyone else that could possibly make it to nyc that week,

i'm sure 'bug would love to have us all get together for a few one night, as i would. maybe we can all work something out.

i'll be wearing a helmet (no bopping!)
That's why I'm trying to ascertain when the lady is arriving. I always start celebrating the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, anyway....:ROFLMAO:

I always take the Wednesday off before Thanksgiving, freeing me up for Tuesday night. I have now read that Mudbug won't be available on Tuesday evening, and may only be available for a 'quickie' on Wednesday. (by the way, I completely understand about not wanting to ditch the family...good for you). I'm usually elbow deep in sausage stuffing on Wednesday anyway. So....if anyone is interested in getting together on Tuesday evening, either in NYC or in northern NJ (South City Grill is wonderful in Rochelle Park)....I'm all for it.

Mudbug, I may may may do the parade this year. I've been living in northern NJ for all my life, and I've never been to the parade. I'm always cooking, always in the kitchen. We were going to go last year but the weather seemed prepared to rain on our parade. I am still hoping to go this year. Perhaps I'll see you there!

Last edited:
if i can just find a way to dare 'bug into sucking down a cylinder of helium, with a few ropes, hopefully everyone will get to see her at the parade!!!:)

vb, i hate to show you this: (my rant on the south city grille) http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/bad-restaurant-experiences-15644-3.html?highlight=%22south+city%22

it's in the middle of page 3.

i might be willing to give it a try if that's where everyone decides.

'bug, you and i will work something out if all else fails.

if thanksgiving week is too difficult for everyone else, we could always do it sometime between now and christmas/hannukah/festivus, and just make it a holiday get together.

who'll bring the festivus pole? :)

Last edited:
Seriously though, I would love to have a get together with as many people who could attend sometime between now and the holidays.

vb, i hate to show you this: (my rant on the south city grille) Bad Restaurant Experiences....

well now, THAT certainly was an underwhelming review! I have NO idea where "Rochelle Park" is, and having no car, and after that sterling story, have no desire to find out! :rolleyes: Besides, Mudbug is coming to New YORK! why would we bring her to Jersey for dinner or a drink? Am I missing something here? There are at least 500 wonderful places to eat and/or dine in New York at any price point you decide on..... :ermm:

ChefJune said:
There are at least 500 wonderful places to eat and/or dine in New York at any price point you decide on..... :ermm:

Which is exactly what I was thinking when I found myself in Applebee's a few weeks ago! The beer was cold though.

mudbug said:
We want to go see them blow up the floats Wed night, whenever/wherever that is...Thanks for all the great ideas. I've got some more Web crawling to do soon!

Mud, wish I could fly back to NYC & meet you all. Used to be the floats were blown up on 77th ST and CPW (Central Park West), as I mentioned - near the Museum.

The museum (if it's open) would make a great meeting place -- and Family outing - or Bethesda Fountain in Central Park. I always rely on Frommers for the best of anything & what's going on. If you have time, take a horse-drawn carriage ride thru the Park. Have a great trip.

buckytom said:
if i can just find a way to dare 'bug into sucking down a cylinder of helium, with a few ropes, hopefully everyone will get to see her at the parade!!!:)

vb, i hate to show you this: (my rant on the south city grille) http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/bad-restaurant-experiences-15644-3.html?highlight=%22south+city%22

'bug, you and i will work something out if all else fails.

if thanksgiving week is too difficult for everyone else, we could always do it sometime between now and christmas/hannukah/festivus, and just make it a holiday get together.

who'll bring the festivus pole? :)

Bucky, if you've been going to SCG every three weeks or so, then you had to be there at least once when I was there. I first went about 3 months after it opened with a client. I loved it. I started bringing all my clients there as a result. I always had the best table, regardless if I called ahead or not. My clients were always very generous tippers, I insisted. Anyway, I got friendly with the managment and the chef. Shortly after, they opened the Mountain Lakes place and then the Jersey City place. I've never been to either, I do hear good things about them.

There was a noticable decline in service about 2 years ago for about 6 months. My (ex) husband took his entire staff there for a christmas luncheon 2 years ago and was sorely disappointed. He actually wrote to the owners about the experience he had, and also cited all the wonderful experiences I'd had. Long story short, it took a while, but eventually someone got back to him with an offer of free dinner for two any evening. It was the right gesture to make.

I've changed my line of work so I don't dine with 'client's much any longer. I've been back to SCG only abut 4 times in the past year, instead of my usual 15-20 per year. I was pleased with the food and the service the last three times I'd been there. Most of the staff has changed, so no one really knew me. Still, the service was good.

Having said that, naturally, I'm open for any location as long as I can drive to it, and drive home again.:wacko:

ChefJune said:
well now, THAT certainly was an underwhelming review! I have NO idea where "Rochelle Park" is, and having no car, and after that sterling story, have no desire to find out! :rolleyes: Besides, Mudbug is coming to New YORK! why would we bring her to Jersey for dinner or a drink? Am I missing something here? There are at least 500 wonderful places to eat and/or dine in New York at any price point you decide on..... :ermm:

I mentioned NJ or NYC because it looks like mudbug may not be able to make it to a group visit, at all...family obligations.

Rochelle Park is right next to Paramus. If you've ever gone to the Garden State Plaza on NJ17, you've gone through Rochelle Park to get there.

Back
Top Bottom