NY - New York City (NYC) ... where to eat on Thanksgiving Day?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudbug

Chef Extraordinaire
We're going up for the Macy's parade and need some ideas of where to eat on Thanksgiving Day.

Our hotel is in the 200 block of West 50th near Times Square.

We don't want to have to dress up much and cost will be somewhat of a consideration.

I''m hoping Bucky and I can get together at least for a drink or something so I can bop him over the head in person.

No problem mudbug. You might want to consider looking at the places in city search as well because you will get reviews as well as extra info on each place. I hope you enjoy the trip. I am going to be getting together with a group of friends this year. I'm just glad it's not at my place!!!

Thanks for the tip, will check it out. We're not going to be there long - arrive Wed afternoon and leave Friday night

Daughter of course wants to see the MTV studio (haven't told her about the giant Virgin megastore yet).

Maybe you can help with something else:
We've been told it's a lot of fun to go to some location in Central Park the night before the parade, because that's when/where they blow up all those big balloon float thingies. D'ya know anything about it?

Yes, I know a few people who have done that. I will ask and get back with you unless someone else can answer in the meantime.

It looks like the streets surrounding 77th Street and Central Park West where the parade kicks off is where you can watch them inflate the balloons. It's around the Museum of Natural History. It's suppose to start around 4:00pm and end around 8:00. I've heard that it can be a lot of fun if the weather is nice.

Last edited:
Macy's has an actual parade website, Mudbug. Check that out. It will give you locations for watching the balloons going up, and it will give you best corner vantage points along the route, too.

How long will you be in the city? Who are you traveling with? How are you getting here?

You could try this website for ideas on where to eat.

newyork.citysearch.com/

The nice thing about it is you can read reviews written by people and see what they did and didn't like about a place. You can just type in restaurant and the zip code of the area you're staying in, and it will list a bunch of restaurants in your area.
I use to work at Rosie O'Grady's which is at 52nd and 7th ave. If you're looking for convenience, that might be a good choice. I think the food is pretty good. They will offer a "Thanksgiving" meal with turkey and all but you can order other things from the menu.
If you want really good food, you may have to travel to different parts of the city. My experience in the midtown area with finding really amazing food is that it's hard. Midtown tends to sell expensive food to the touristy crowd that isn't that great. But that may just be me.
But like I said, Rosie O'grady's might be nice for you because it will be right there and the food is good.
Above all, whatever you decide, make sure you make a reservation.

abjcooking said:
It looks like the streets surrounding 77th Street and Central Park West where the parade kicks off is where you can watch them inflate the balloons. It's around the Museum of Natural History. It's suppose to start around 4:00pm and end around 8:00. I've heard that it can be a lot of fun if the weather is nice.

My first apt was on/close to that street. At about 3 AM? we stepped outside and there was a huge snoopie, Superman (and lots of other balloons) being inflated right outside my door :LOL: I kept rubbing my eyes - thought I was dreaming. If you're awake in the middle of the night, the night before, bundle up and watch them blow all the balloons up. What a hoot! We chatted and drank coffee with the workers. Very memorable evening. :) (Next apt, we hung out the window and watched the parade. So, if it's too crowded, go up on one of the rooftops. Beautiful view.)

Re eating, don't know the cost, but how about Tavern on the Green? If they're still there. Have a wonderful trip, Mud, and row around the Park once for me. :)

P.S. Years ago, Howard Johnson's was somewhere around there. For the day after, they had a great open-faced turkey sammich w mashed taters & gravy -- ice cream for dessert (if you're still hankering for more turkey). YUM.

Last edited:
I dont have any advice on where to eat other than to say make a reservation if you can (not sure what is near you), other than that, there is always hot pretzels and hot dogs at the vendors! Wish I were going with you, it sounds like a blast. I love watching that parade on TV. I sure hope your taking the train and not your car because parking with be a nightmare!

i will be here with bells on, 'bug. :)
i'm going back to the midnight shift that week :( , but i'm sure we can hook up for a drink or seven. :dizzy:

if i can make it for dinner, i'd love to go to carmine's on west 44th. http://www.carminesnyc.com/

i can also recommend a few thai places, northern italian, and of course irish pub/restaurants.

Mudbug, are you looking for a traditional Thanksgiving dinner, or are you interested in exploring one of New York's yummy ethnic places?

I'm always on the lookout for places that are delicious and that don't break the bank. Out-of-towners are often frightened when they see the prices on NY menus.... Eating out at most places is kinda pricey here.... :ohmy:

Feel free to pm me, if you want.

I have had several T-giving dinners in NYC's Chinatown. Great food for cheap.

I also had a great Tgiving at Bolo but it was $$.

Le Bonne Soupe is one of my favorite restaurants anywhere -- it's on 55th between 6th and 5th. Don't know if it'll be open for Tgiving, though.

chefjune, and opinionita, abj, and vb, jenny, gb, andy, vickiq, sandyj, and anyone else that could possibly make it to nyc that week,

i'm sure 'bug would love to have us all get together for a few one night, as i would. maybe we can all work something out.

i'll be wearing a helmet (no bopping!)

Last edited:
I would vote for that, Bucky..... and I even have a suggestion for a GREAT place..... anyone else ever been to Assenzio in the East Village? fab Sardinian/Italian food, beautiful cozy fireplace, very reasonable prices, and good with handling groups! :D

buckytom, I have no idea what our plans are going to be, but if you guys decide to get together send a pm so I'll have the details. I'd love to get together if I'm able.

ChefJune, never been there, but that sound like a good place.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom