NY - New York City ... Pizza?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mav, the best way that i can describe the difference is that it's akin to the lump hardwood charcoal v.s. gas grill debate.

you get more flavor from burning wood, and i've heard that the heat is drier (whatever that means) so you get a crispier crust.

Sounds kinda like doing it on my charcoal grill. I was planning on giving that a try this summer anyway, should be fun and interesting.

Re: Your Inquiry For Pizza In N.y.c.

Pizza...it's almost breakfast time :pig:

There are so many amazing pizza places in the city..just stay away from the generic places like SABAROS and PIZZA HUT.
Lombardi's is supposed to be the original pizzeria and still have the 1st brick oven that they currently use.

Lombardi's opened in little Italy as a grocery store in 1897. It was established as the first pizzeria in America in 1905.
32 Spring Street.Corner of Spring and Mott.

Honestly, walk around and go into some nice italian pizzerias and grab a slice.
There is a place in Penn Station called Rosa's. The pizza is SSOOO good.

Lombardi's is in Little Italy. Walk around...go to the Italian shops, ask them and follow your nose. Every block has a few.

Hope this helps!

amaninthekitchen.com
thefoodyoulove.com
18-sangenaropizzarow.jpg
pic by AMANINTHEKITCHEN.com
(do not copy with without permission.)

Sure, if you give me credit:
picture is from my blog: amaninthekitchen. com

thanks!
Makes me hungry thinking about it.

i was just kidding. but it is a neat picture. and yes, it's making me hungry.

especially the sign that says pork brasciole. i would kill for some right now. :ninja:

Gotta say, we wandered into a pizza place in Times Square for lunch (we were staying at the Millennium Hotel, for those who know the city) and thought it was rather ordinary. However, the Turkish place where we had lunch the next day was just like being in Istanbul again :)

Last edited:
Times Square really does cater to the tourists.
If Italian...not too rustic.
If Indian...not too authentic.
If Sushi...not too fresh..only kidding.
Non-offensive ethnic cusine.
The way food demographics work in N.Y.C. is that they know where tourists go for food and where locals go.

Bingo.
This seems like such a great forum, where if you travel you can get 21 suggestions as to where to eat no matter where you are going.

Pizza...it's almost breakfast time :pig:

There are so many amazing pizza places in the city..just stay away from the generic places like SABAROS and PIZZA HUT.
Lombardi's is supposed to be the original pizzeria and still have the 1st brick oven that they currently use.

Lombardi's opened in little Italy as a grocery store in 1897. It was established as the first pizzeria in America in 1905.
32 Spring Street.Corner of Spring and Mott.

Honestly, walk around and go into some nice italian pizzerias and grab a slice.
There is a place in Penn Station called Rosa's. The pizza is SSOOO good.

Lombardi's is in Little Italy. Walk around...go to the Italian shops, ask them and follow your nose. Every block has a few.

Hope this helps!

amaninthekitchen.com
thefoodyoulove.com
18-sangenaropizzarow.jpg
pic by AMANINTHEKITCHEN.com
(do not copy with without permission.)

Great information!!! Thanks!

it is easy to get BAD pizza in NYC...old, luke warm etc. Lombardi's or Mr Johns are tops...the other Mr Johns is near 42 street inthe theatre district. Really great pizza.

Brain Cells

Jennyema, I believe I damaged my brain cells in that brew pub on a couple of occasions can't think of the name of it - O'Hurley's maybe? :dizzy:

Pizza in NYC is sort of like cheesteak in Philly... it is pretty good almost everywhere (except chains and malls) You will find pizzarias all over the city and they are mostly good with great selections of slices.

Grimaldis in Brooklyn is the place to go for bragging rights and foodie cred Grimaldi's Pizzeria this is where natives will wait an hour to get Pizza.

Little Italy is largely a tourist attraction.

The Best slices IMHO will be found in the still ethnically Italian borough hoods. Belmont (Arthur Ave) in The Bronx has some amazing pizza and is in general a paradise of Italian food shopping. It is a bit of a hike for a tourist... but the Botanical Garden is right near by and so is the Zoo so it is a nice side trip although I would use caution near the Tigers if I was carrying a bag full of fresh pastry and cheese.

oddly enough if you are not looking to go off the beaten path Rosa's in the lobby of the Empire State Building is actually very good (This is a working persons luch place not a tourist joint it is tucked away on the SW corner of the lobby near the post office.)

Last edited:
ok, keep 'em coming.

the ncaa's are starting soon, so i'll be eating a lot of pizza; need to try new places.

gotta remember mr. john's and rosas. thanks guys.

Jennyema, I believe I damaged my brain cells in that brew pub on a couple of occasions can't think of the name of it - O'Hurley's maybe? :dizzy:

I believe the brew pub is the Westside brewery or something like that. The Golden Tee bar ... I totally forgot what its name is. :-p

Even I recommend 'Lombardi's Pizza center' where you can get good Italian Pizza.
'Gonzo Restaurant' on 140 W 13th St is the other place you can visit, here the pizza is divine, excellent..

Have a nice trip.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom