NY - New York City ... Pizza?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When we were in New York City we stayed at a place directly across from Maddison Square guarden called the Pennsylvania Hotel, it was just a stroll from times square.

Anyway, just down the road from this hotel across a street or two towards time square, was a little pizza place where we ate a few times there. I didn't think the Pizza there was too fantastic.

When we were in New York City we stayed at a place directly across from Maddison Square guarden called the Pennsylvania Hotel, it was just a stroll from times square.

Anyway, just down the road from this hotel across a street or two towards time square, was a little pizza place where we ate a few times there. I didn't think the Pizza there was too fantastic.

With the exception of theatre, there is little in Times Square worth the effort...

agreed, vb. ya gotta head west to 9th ave, then north for decent food.

a buddy of mine is back working in the garden, so i'll be hitting up a few places in the area soon. hopefully i'll find something new (and good) to report.

according to my dad, times square was a great place back in the 40's.

then it changed a lot, and got rundown until lord comb-over (giuliani) put a shiny new face on it, changing out the nickel-and-dimers for corporate whores. :cool:

anywhoo, i shall report on my pizza excursions in the area.

If you want to go out of your way a little bit for my choice for best pizza in the city go to La Sorrentina's Pizza in Brooklyn on 11th ave and 65th st. Truly the superior pie.

Whatever you do, don't go to the fancy Patsy's. It's just a gourmet version pizza, not NYC-style. Just go to any typical place you find down the block, not that there aren't any bad ones. And when you order, make sure you stick with plain. Some places don't do a good job once you add the toppings.

If you want something a little more adventurous, there's a place called Two Boots which has become one of my favorites. It's New York pizza cajun-style, and even though I don't care for cajun food, their pizzas are great. Some exotic toppings and shrimp, spicy pesto sauce, and sun-dried tomatoes all on one pizza. They have a few different pizzas. There's one in Grand Central at the basement level and one on Bleeker near the big Adidas store.

you lost me easton. you went two directions with your post.]

wouldn't "cajun" pizza not be nyc style? and wouldn't shrimp, pesto, and other stuff make it a gourmet version, again not nyc style?

NY Pizza is Mostly known for its flexible thin crust. It is difficult to eat just by picking it up the normal way so most people fold it in half. Rarely is anything put on it other than the traditional Italian toppings. In my opinion anything on the pie other than tomato sauce and mozzarella are just there to mask the taste of a bad pizza.

you lost me easton. you went two directions with your post.]

wouldn't "cajun" pizza not be nyc style? and wouldn't shrimp, pesto, and other stuff make it a gourmet version, again not nyc style?
It's still NYC style because without the toppings, you'd have a regular slice of pizza. But I wouldn't call it gourmet either because the prices are still very reasonable (they're only slightly higher than pizzas with traditional toppings). Plus, Two Boots doesn't present themselves as a gourmet restaurant, it just looks like another pizza place on the corner.

One more thing I forgot the mention. The crust is so good you can order just a plain slice. They have some sort of yellow seasoning to the bottom that I'm not sure what it is.

is the yellow stuff the cornmeal used to keep the crust from sticking?

kinight, as prosciutto said, the major defining factor of nyc pizza is the crust.

if you want bread with sauce and cheese in/on/all over it, go to chicago. ;)

Hope to try again soon

Going up to Jersey in Sept for a wedding. Sure hope to partake in a slice while I'm in the vicinity :chef:.

Man did this thread ever grow .

Going up to Jersey in Sept for a wedding. Sure hope to partake in a slice while I'm in the vicinity :chef:.

Man did this thread ever grow .

Where in jersey are you going?

The absolute best pizza is at Francesca's on McWhorter street in Newark just near the train station. :chef:

is the yellow stuff the cornmeal used to keep the crust from sticking?

kinight, as prosciutto said, the major defining factor of nyc pizza is the crust.

if you want bread with sauce and cheese in/on/all over it, go to chicago. ;)

Yes. those tiny yellow seed like grains under the pizza is in fact cornmeal. Not only does it prevent the pizza from stick but it adds a sweetness to the crust.

I agree with you about going to Chicago for bread with sauce and cheese on it :dizzy:

agreed, vb. ya gotta head west to 9th ave, then north for decent food.

a buddy of mine is back working in the garden, so i'll be hitting up a few places in the area soon. hopefully i'll find something new (and good) to report.

according to my dad, times square was a great place back in the 40's.

then it changed a lot, and got rundown until lord comb-over (giuliani) put a shiny new face on it, changing out the nickel-and-dimers for corporate whores. :cool:

anywhoo, i shall report on my pizza excursions in the area.

HaHaHa.....That's a funny report on Times Square :ROFLMAO:

NY Pizza is Mostly known for its flexible thin crust. It is difficult to eat just by picking it up the normal way so most people fold it in half. Rarely is anything put on it other than the traditional Italian toppings. In my opinion anything on the pie other than tomato sauce and mozzarella are just there to mask the taste of a bad pizza.

I agree.......I never order pizza with toppings. Being a Lombardi i have to be able to critique the holy trinity....."Crust, Tomato, & cheese" ....Hold all the other toppings please. :cool:

It's still NYC style because without the toppings, you'd have a regular slice of pizza. But I wouldn't call it gourmet either because the prices are still very reasonable (they're only slightly higher than pizzas with traditional toppings). Plus, Two Boots doesn't present themselves as a gourmet restaurant, it just looks like another pizza place on the corner.

One more thing I forgot the mention. The crust is so good you can order just a plain slice. They have some sort of yellow seasoning to the bottom that I'm not sure what it is.

The yellow stuff underneath the pizza is cornmeal.

As for pizza with all of the fancy toppings well, that is gourmet. Gourmet as in dressed up "Not your everyday pizza".....regardless of price. When someone says "New York Style Pizza" only one thing comes to mind.......Holy Trinity.....nothing more :chef:

Back
Top Bottom