"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 03-13-2007, 01:23 PM   #11
Cook

We ate there in Seattle, seems to me it is where this 'chain' generated from. Pricy, and the eve we went, the food wasn't all that good, but I too have heard it is overall a great restaurant to eat at.
B.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:29 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
We went to the one in Charlotte, NC. The service was really good and the waitstaff was extremely "customer first" oriented. So, maybe it does depend on where you go. The food was extremely good and I would definitely go there again.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:01 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Seems to me they bought Portland, Oregons Jake's - very old seafood place in the city. Have not eaten there since.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:23 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to fireweaver
like several of the other posters, i've been there a few times on someone else's dime...for me, the one in baltimore, with a vendor that'd take our work crew out once a quarter. if the one you're at is anything like it, there's a ginormous cold plate appetizer (boiled shrimp, steamed mussels, half shell oysters, etc) that will easily snack 8 or more people. service was always quite frendly & great really considering that we'd descend on the place in a horde of 25+ during happy hour. let us know if the quality still keeps up ok when it's not a waterfront establishment (i.e., when the seafood has to be shipped further so not as fresh).
Old 04-17-2007, 02:45 AM   #15
Senior Cook

they have good happy hour food specials!
Old 07-03-2007, 08:00 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

A chain does not mean franchise operation. It just means more than one and growing to add more. M & S is a chain operation as they try to make them consistently the same from restaurant to restaurant.

I've been to the Minneapolis restaurant several times for lunch and for dinner. I've never been disappointed.

BTW, there is now a new offshoot called M & S Grill by the McCormick & Schmick people. In Minneapolis it is a couple of blocks away from the regular McCormick's and Schmicks.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 05:59 PM   #17
Master Chef

I'm glad to hear such good things about this place.

Husband bought me their seafood cookbook as part of my "Mother's Day" gift, & I want to try nearly every recipe - lol!!! In addition, the book came with a $10.00 off rebate for dining at any of their restaurants, so we're looking forward to visiting soon. They have several locations in the Northern VA area.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:22 PM   #18
Head Chef

There are two close by (one at Lincoln Square here in Bellevue and the other at 1st and Spring in Seattle). I've tried both once and about all I can muster up is an unenthusiastic "meh" for them. The food was ok and so was the service but nothing to rave about. /shrug

Give me Salty's on Alkai any day of the week! or Shi-Lin or Sea Star or ...

For me the trouble with "chain" restaurants is that they lose a whole lot of their personality. It's hard to have individuality when you have very strict guidelines about what you cook, how you cook it, how you serve it, how it's presented and what it is priced at. Not that I don't eat at them once in awhile and not that I have never had a good meal at one. But the most exciting and memorable meals seems to come from restaurants that are definitely not part of a chain.

Z
Old 07-22-2007, 05:11 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Whenever I stay after 8pm in the office they comp dinner, and McCormick's is usually my first choice when this happens.

It isn't Kinkead's or Black Salt (DC references), but it's solid seafood and surprisingly good beef, well prepared.

Nothing innovative or surprising, but I think it's still quite good. Their wood-grilled entrees are the best choices, particularly the trout, although they serve up a really tasty NY Strip as well.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:50 PM   #20
Cook

I've eaten at the one in downtown Seattle. Service was good, and the food was pretty good. It's not top notch but the quality was good.

Tags
oh, ohio