"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 08-20-2006, 10:01 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

PA - Lancaster County - Amish Country?

Anyone here from Lancaster County, Pa? I'd like to visit there in the beginning of October & need some suggestions of where to stay. I'm looking for clean, comfortable, centrally located and inexpensive. Thanks.

Old 08-20-2006, 10:10 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

Look for a motel in Lancaster PA.

Old 08-21-2006, 11:48 AM   #3
Head Chef

I will be going to the Lancaster area in September! There is a bed and breakfast near there that I am currently looking into staying at.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:44 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I'd stay in Lancaster (the city). Go online or check with AAA for hotels motels etc.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:57 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
I'd stay in Lancaster (the city). Go online or check with AAA for hotels motels etc.
Why do you say stay in Lancaster itself? Specifically I was thinking of staying in Millersville.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:45 PM   #6
Master Chef

There's an odd place that we stayed for one night (I'm not sure I'd want to do it for a long time) in Strasburg that consists entirely of cabooses as rooms and a dining car. If you have kids this is a must stay for a night and a breakfast. The dining car plays nothing but old railroad-themed songs, and it periodically shakes.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:41 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Corinne
Hotels in Lancaster: there are a wealth of them. From Red Roof Inns & EconoLodges to some pretty fancy places. They are everywhere!! I really have no information on B&B's because they aren't my style but I know that there's a bunch of them, too.
If you can give me some more details, I can make some suggestions to you. Is there anything you want to be close to? Do you want to be right on the main drag, right off the highway, or as far away from the busyness of the area as possible. What kind of accomodations & amenities are you looking for? Something nice or just someplace to lay your head at night?

I would not stay in the city. I believe there is only one hotel in the city. It used to be called the Hotel Brunswick. I'm not sure if they still go by the same name or not. You can stay *close* to the city without actually being "in the city". It's a small city anyway!
Old 08-21-2006, 07:47 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Lancaster is a city and is pretty centrally located within the county. There will be many choices of places and types of places to stay, and places to eat. From there it is easy to visit any town or location. It is on major highways and easy to get to and from. I live in the next county over.

However, if you have specific locations to see, and limited time, by all means avoid the city.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:47 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Corinne
Good Lancaster Website

http://www.padutchcountry.com/
Old 08-21-2006, 08:06 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Must see Lititz for Wilbur chocolate, and Akron for the best pretzels. Don't forget the Herrs and Utz chip factories as you tour the farms and shops.

Tags
pennsylvania