PA - Pittsburgh ... regional food suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
Are there any foods that just "Cry Out, Pittsburgh"?

I have a dear friend who recently moved there.. a good cook and "foodie"..

He says, there are many Ethnic Neighborhoods, with all kinds of good food..

but the only thing He's found "Local" are Perogies and "ChoptHam Sammich".

Accidental Hedonist - BBQ Chip Chopped Ham Sandwich - Pittsburgh Recipes

I'd like to help him, and I love cooking other regional foods myself for like a "Mini Vacation"..

Thanks, Eric, Austin Tx.

Mmmm--I haven't thought about Chipchop Barbecue in ages--my grandparents lived in Pittsburgh.

My grandparents were German, and my grandma's speciality was chicken and homemade egg noodles. Ground nutmeg was added to your bowl at the table, if you liked it.

We had the pleasure of eating there with luvs, and it was great!

:)Barbara

:) that was great, barb! we got to meet barbara & james for dinner while they went through the east. it was lovely to meet such great people!

I went to Pittsburgh this past summer. Tell your friend to go to Pramanti Brothers - in the Strip District (I think it was 18th Street). They have the msot regional of famous Pittsburgh foods - their meat and cheese sandwiches are immense. You wait on line, a long time, and then sit down inside and read the menu. The sandwiches come with french fries, tomato and cole slaw on each sandwich. It can't be missed. Go there with an appetite. So worth it. Also, there is a great breakfast place near there - also in the Strip District. I forget the name but it is famous also. Can't get more regional than the food in the Strip.

Klondike ice cream bars were also invented in PIttsburgh from what I understand they have since proliferated the country so no longer regional.

CHipped Ham is usually how it is spelled. It is wonderful, it is little pieces of ham chipped right off the bone I guess and they put a bbq sauce on it. I still love it.

Lots of eastern european influence here. There is stuffed cabbage which has a distinctive home cooked feel to it whenever Im there but probably the same can be said for Chicago or any place with lots of Poles, slavs, etc. Also have had a lot of fresh kielbasa made in the area and of course it is different and usually better than store bought.

Mmmm--I haven't thought about Chipchop Barbecue in ages--my grandparents lived in Pittsburgh.

My grandparents were German, and my grandma's speciality was chicken and homemade egg noodles. Ground nutmeg was added to your bowl at the table, if you liked it.

yeah thats great grass, delicious chicken is my mom specialty too ...chicken soup .. Im Hungry now . hehe

Wow i like that chicken and homemade egg noodles my aunte did that too! but dont know if were same way of taste and cooking ..

Pittsburgh regional cuisine

Hi all, I'm late to the party but I'd like to revive this thread. i don't think anyone completely spoke to the regional dishes of Pittsburgh, so here's a non-definitive list:

City Chicken: Actually pork. Take cubed pork and skewer it to look like a chicken drumstick. Coat in flour and pan fry with some chix stock. This regional favorite came about in early 1900s when pork was much cheaper than highbrow chicken.

Haluski: (AKA Halushki, Kluski, Klushki) Buttered noodles, onions and cabbage. My gram made it with Sauerkraut, but I like it with a fresh head myself!

Stuffed Cabbage: Pork and rice rolled in cabbage leaves and stewed in Tomato Sauce

Stuffed Peppers: (AKA Halumpki) Pork and rice stuffed into whole green peppers and stewed in Tomato Sauce

Funnel Cake: Waffle-like batter siphoned through a funnel into a deep fryer to create a paper-plate-sized 'nest' of fried dough. Topped with mounds of powdered sugar

Lady Locks: (AKA Clothespin Cookies, Cream Horns) Tubes of pastry dough filled with sweet whipped frosting and doused with powdered sugar. (My favorite treat!) These are always on the "Cookie Table" at Pittsburgh and Ohio weddings along with ...

Pizzelles: Pronounced pits-sells. Lacy wafer cookies made in a waffle-iron device by one's grandmother. Often flavored with anise and/or vanilla.

Chipped Ham, Jumbo: Mentioned above, the chipped ham is from a deli called Isaly's that shaves a high-fat-content ham so thin that it's 'chip-chopped.' 'Jumbo' is how we refer to bologna, I guess short for Jumbo Bologna.. you can get away with just asking for a pound of jumbo! Try the jumbo (bologna) sandwich at Primanti's with a fried egg on top!

Pierogies: Mentioned above, dumplings filled with (most commonly) potato and cheese or sweet cabbage. They are boiled and then pan fried with pounds of butter and onions. Some old-school residents still fill theirs with prunes (yuck). Today it's popular to get a Pierogie Pizza, which is pizza dough topped with mashed potatoes, butter and onions and a cheddar/mozzarella mix!

Kielbasa and Sauerkraut: Pronounced keel-boss-ee. Amazingly delicious smoked garlic & black pepper Polish sausage. Braised in sauerkraut, often finished on the grill and eaten on a sausage roll at Stillers tailgating parties.

Pittsburgh Steak Salad: Born of the same philosophy behind the Primanti's Sandwich (get all your courses in one dish) the coal miners needed to shower on their lunch break so they needed a fast hearty meal. So restaurants would dump the meat, vegetables and boiled potatoes all into one bowl. This has evolved into the Pittsburgh Steak Salad: a Garden salad topped with sliced steak (or chicken) and potatoes (usually french fries, though Fatheads makes the best with boiled redskins, sauteed onions & peppers). Most joints top it with loads of cheese and ranch dressing, of course.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom