"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 06-08-2010, 08:04 PM   #1
Master Chef

Restaurants and kids.......

Why does it seem that some parents who take little kids to restaurants these days, let them get away with acting like little animals? I just don't get it. Keep them at home and get take out food, if they are uncontrollable.
We went to dinner at a local family restaurant the other night, and they had a new sign posted near the entrance.....
Unattended children will be given a cup of Espresso and a PUPPY.

We actually had a peaceful dinner.

Your thoughts??

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:23 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Well let's see, I have 4 small grand kids and love to take them out to eat new things and also to see how others behave. At times they might laugh to loudly, but are not allowed to yell, cry and run helter skelter around the restaurant. There eyes get huge if others do this including adults who hee hew loudly bang their fist on the table and rudley make noises to annoy others. They will shisper to me Ma, how come they do that? We start out in quick food places and now I can take them to the pricest place in town and they are well behaved. In fact weve had several couples pay for the childrens dinner or send them dessert for being so well behaved. Teach them to be ladies and gentlemen and watch them reap the rewards. It makes them so proud when this happens,If you want children to be liked have then learn what's right.
kades

Old 06-08-2010, 08:28 PM   #3
Head Chef

I don't know maybe I'm blessed or maybe I jusy raised my darling daughter right, and she raised her boyz right, but I never have any problem with them...
Old 06-08-2010, 08:52 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

I agree there is no place in a restaurant for noisy rambunctious patrons of any age. If a child cannot be quieted a parent should remove them from the restaurant. That's what we did when our children were at that age. My grandson is learning the same manners now.

I see (uncontrolled) rowdy children in a restaurant as a negative reflection on the parents. Then again, I see rowdy adults as a negative reflection on the parents, too.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:29 PM   #5
Master Chef

when my Parents took us for (usually most weekends, for dinners) we behaved plain as day..... we were admonished if a utensil was incorrectly used, we kept expectantly calm/shushed, we learned that we could order foods ourselves although my Parents gently nudged us in the proper direction, we behaved!
unless we preferred cleaning silly putty & play-doh we'd adhesively stuck onto other items until we got tucked in an hour or 2 before we usually were for the day! .....that being less than twice in my less-than-12th-year of being, if that, lol!
my Mom & Dad, they loved thier careers, & i saw them less-thsn often, so missing a dinner toghether could be kinda disconcerting!
sheesh, i love them so.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:34 PM   #6
Cook

Drives me crazy!! My kids (ages 3 and 10) are extremely well behaved in restaurants or anywhere. We often have people come by the table on the way out and us and them how well they behaved. No climbing all over the booth/table, going under the table, turning around staring in the booth behind us etc. I usually bring some things to keep my 3 year old entertained like a coloring book and crayons if the restaurant doesn't provide them.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:11 PM   #7
Master Chef

i well plan on owning an upscale restaurant by my 35th-ish year, 40 if finances dictate.....
reservations being a pre-requisite. if a person intrudes on my establishment & if those inclusive disruptive people..... be they 1 or be they 100..... get edgy towards my adult clients that dine in a respectful manner, they'll be dining elsewhere.
& they shant be permitted a return thereafter.....
through ranting!
:)

.....'kay, thru ranting, now praising! crayons work so well! i lived in utter adoration of them from my toddler days! red-orange (red-orange.... or orange-red?) was so beloved when i was a tot! george & martha, little miss-books, stone soup, 80's reads. they defined me, lol. i mean that, i loved being introduced in the early 80's when reading was great!!
Old 06-09-2010, 03:46 AM   #8
Head Chef

That will work well... What a concept, to bad somebody didn't think of it before you...

Good luck with that...
Old 06-09-2010, 08:06 AM   #9
Master Chef

I am happy to say I have always been able to take my son anywhere and everywhere. He's always been quiet and respectful of people around him. I went out to lunch with a friend and her daughter once and her daughter was horrible. She was climbing on the table and trying to climb in the booth next to us. When mom got up to use the restroom I had a little one on one with the little she demon and the rest of the lunch was so pleasent. Her mom thought she was coming down with something. LOL! I didn't bribe her or anything like that. I just promised her that if she didn't settle down and act like a well behaved young lady I was going to call the restaurant manager to the table and embarrass her more then she could imagine. Of course the firm, but loving grip I had on her hand helped too. Every time she would start to get fidgety I would give her the evil eye and she stopped.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:56 AM   #10
Executive Chef

It is great to see that all of your children behave when they eat out. First, it begins with teaching them manners at home. If they are allowed to get up and run about at home, they will expect to be able to do the same whenever or wherever they eat.
We always had a good code of conduct with out kids and I don't ever remember having to caution them when eating out or even when we were invited over by friends. I remember our son getting choked on parsley once and he was totally humilated over causing attention to himself. He still won't eat raw parsley.
Secondly, I see as many young adults and even older adults acting badly in restaurants and sometimes it is hard to carry on a conversation at our own table because of someone with boorish behavior. I usually just give them a very stern look and that helps, but there are always smart alecks that decide the whole establishment is for their own amusement. They should be eating from a trough.