Road Trip!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When you're heading back to Lancaster, I can give you some recommendations for non-kiddie stuff.

We've go searching for covered bridges (where my boy and I then get to fish underneath :)); we've played golf, and outdoor laser tag, and we went to a shooting range where my wife and son got to shoot 9mm handguns and a 556 M4 for their first times.

We always stay at the Hershey Farm and Inn. They have a nice pool in the summer, and a great buffet that comes with your room reservation that I think a vegetarian might enjoy. And lanndscaped grounds to walk it off afterwards.

And a pond for fishing...

I'm looking forward to our next short road trip, back to Vermont this winter. We only seem to be able to do 4 or 5 hour trips. From Jersey down to Rehoboth, Ocean City, or Lancaster, Pa.. Or north to Lake Champlain, Kennebunkport, or Killington, Vt..

Have fun and drive safely.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestion and comments.
The countdown has begun,
Just fine tuning everyone, making list, checking like 100 times ( Santa would be proud of me).
Had to take the plants in, cause it may frost over the next week or two.
Had to teach my daughter how to take care of the chickens while Im gone ( she's thrilled )
Last minute shopping.
Printed out all email confirmations and tickets I purchased in advance.
Making sure I got all my chargers and adapters for my electronics.
Entering all the addresses into the GPS, But also printing out my maps ( I like my maps).
Confirming all the hours and days places are open.
Making sure I got the time zones figured out ( there will be a few days we will be bouncing back and forth from one time zone to the next, so i dont want to miss an event because i was careless).

Tomorrow afternoon is my last shot to get everything together then, it is what it is. Leaving Friday Mid day to beat the city traffic.

Hi Ya'all,
Inspired by K-Girls day by day encounter of her cross country journey a few months back, I decided to do the same with my 50th Birthday Road Trip Adventure. ....snipped ....

MAHALO, thanks for that Larry !!!

I so look forward to reading about your 50th Birthday Celebratory Road Trip!!!
AND, you sound just like me, checking and rechecking all details of a trip, printing out maps & confirmations (never can be too sure on anything;)), programming the GPS, OH and don't forget the road trip snacks and drinks --- just in case you might get a bit peckish along the way.

Have a great time, be safe, drive with care and caution, but remember that's it about the adventure, take your time and ENJOY!!!

...But also printing out my maps ( I like my maps)...
So Exciting! Can't wait to stow away in your luggage, virtually speaking, and follow along on your adventure. Have a great time!

Making sure I got the time zones figured out ( there will be a few days we will be bouncing back and forth from one time zone to the next...
When you're approaching the time zone flip, have your wife watch her cellphone. It's funny watching the time switch as you cross over the timeline. When we went to Spring City, TN, for the eclipse, we must have been in an area with multiple towers that kept passing us back and forth from the Eastern to the Central time zone. :LOL: Yeah, yeah, small things amuse small minds. That's me!

don't forget the road trip snacks and drinks --- just in case you might get a bit peckish along the way.
Definitely won't forget the snacks. Thats actually my wife's main contribution to any road trip. Not only do we need snacks for the drive, but there will be a few days we have together up early ( earlier than the hotel provides breakfast) or we will be in the car traveling during the lunch hour, so we usually have to plan a few ' on the go' meals. On my maps I also make note of a walmart we may pass along the way. Since they have just about everything, if necessary, we can run in there to restock. Unlike our last trip to see my son in Montana ( where there were times we were literally in the middle of nowhere for hours), this time we will primarily be near populated areas, so in a worse case situation, there will be places to go if necessary.

p, have your wife watch her cellphone. It's funny watching the time switch as you cross over the timeline.

Its funny you mention this. Anytime Im traveling I always take a peak at the estimated time of arrival, just to get an idea if there is any traffic building up ahead or whatever. If I see it change significantly for the worse, i start getting a little concerned. So on our trip to Montana last year, I look down and it says one time. A few minutes later, I look down again and I see it says we will get to our destination an hour earlier. I turn to my wife and say " wow, this waze app is great. It rerouted us and its saving us an hours time. Took me about 1/2 an hour to realize that I crossed a time zone , and that was the reason I saved the hour. I felt like a little bit of an ass, but Im pretty good at that. Just ask my wife, shell agree :LOL:

Larry, a lot of folks are only aware of a city or town having a Chamber of Commerce. But every one of the 50 States you are planning to visit also has one with information covering the whole State. Well worth sending for in time for your next foray. Any time I have been planning a drive cross country, I send to the State Chamber of Commerce for their literature. One time I was with a friend and for the first time in his life, he got to see a bald eagle sitting on a tree branch right beside the road. We stopped for the longest time just so he could feast his eyes and get some pictures. It was one of the places in the tourist book showing where to see all the eagles anyone could possibly want to see. That was about 20 years ago and he is still talking about it.

And there is no charge for the literature. Just address it to the State Chamber of Commerce, their capitol city, State and you can get the ZIP Code on line.

Definitely won't forget the snacks. Thats actually my wife's main contribution to any road trip. Not only do we need snacks for the drive, but there will be a few days we have together up early ( earlier than the hotel provides breakfast) or we will be in the car traveling during the lunch hour, so we usually have to plan a few ' on the go' meals. On my maps I also make note of a walmart we may pass along the way. Since they have just about everything, if necessary, we can run in there to restock. Unlike our last trip to see my son in Montana ( where there were times we were literally in the middle of nowhere for hours), this time we will primarily be near populated areas, so in a worse case situation, there will be places to go if necessary.

Its funny you mention this. Anytime Im traveling I always take a peak at the estimated time of arrival, just to get an idea if there is any traffic building up ahead or whatever. If I see it change significantly for the worse, i start getting a little concerned. So on our trip to Montana last year, I look down and it says one time. A few minutes later, I look down again and I see it says we will get to our destination an hour earlier. I turn to my wife and say " wow, this waze app is great. It rerouted us and its saving us an hours time. Took me about 1/2 an hour to realize that I crossed a time zone , and that was the reason I saved the hour. I felt like a little bit of an ass, but Im pretty good at that. Just ask my wife, shell agree :LOL:

I always have 2-3 pre-made dinners that are microwave ready as well as some breakfast food items for those uber early blast off days, and restock everything, water, coffee, wine, food as we go.

We learned that using our phones for guidance on road trips can be dicey.
Out in the middle of nowhere, you may not get a signal, which is why we now have a stand-alone GPS. This is our second one and it is so smart, it factors in any time changes along the route, gives traffic/crashes ahead, gas stations, rest stops, restaurants, pretty much anything you want it to show you "up ahead".

Another thing that DH started is having an up to date Rand McNally Road Atlas in the car. I slide it down in between the two front seats for easier access. It just gives another reference point.

Blast off is tommorrow for you two, I'm so excited for you.
We just love road trips!

Last edited:
Another thing that DH started is having an up to date Rand McNally Road Atlas in the car. I slide it down in between the two front seats for easier access. It just gives another reference point.

My DH is trained as a geologist/meteorologist and taught Earth science, oceanography, meteorology and GIS mapping. We have always had a road atlas and usually paper maps of the states we're driving through. The little screens just aren't good enough for him :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for the tip Addie, I'll consider it for the next trip I take ( which will probably be next spring).

My DH is trained as a geologist/meteorologist and taught Earth science, oceanography, meteorology and GIS mapping. We have always had a road atlas and usually paper maps of the states we're driving through. The little screens just aren't good enough for him :ROFLMAO:

My daughter is an Atmospheric and Oceanic Science Major ( with a double major in Math).

Well, the planning phase is done.

Another thing i do is treat each day as a separate vacation, as opposed to looking at the whole trip at once. Way too much to remember. Usually, I look over the next day ,as if Im cramming for a test. Make sure the directions are correct, all the tickets are in order, nothing has been forgotten.... It seems to work for me.

Warped sense of humor alert.

My warped sense of humor is spontaneous. I cant promise any of it will come out on this trip, but a few examples from the past include:

Me buying a George Washington costume so I could wear it while cutting down a cherry tree in my yard.

Me schlepping a banjo on my road trip down to Mississippi, just so I could pose for the photo-op of me sitting in front of a " Welcome to Alabama" sign with ( You guessed it) a Banjo on my knee.

And finally, my daughter studies Oceanography, and there is a National Competition called " The Ocean Bowl" ( her team came in 5th place Nationally). Anyway, what better way to cheer your daughters team on than wearing a hat shaped like a Clam.

So, I apologize for any warped sense of humor pics that may surface during this trip in advance.

Attachments

• Emb1.jpg
    Emb1.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 106
  • Emb3.jpg
    Emb3.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 132
  • Emb2.jpg
    Emb2.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 107
:):LOL::ROFLMAO:

Have a good time Larry and Mrs. Larry !!!

Thanks for the warm send off;)

First day is in the Books. Nothing overly exciting or culinary exciting. Todays goal was to get past the city (NYC) before the 'i Have to get home for the weekend' rush begins ( which we just did). Worked 1/2 a day, wife picked me up at work, and off we went.

First destination Hershey PA. All I wanted to do was about 3 -4 hours ( since I worked today, I knew Id be somewhat exhausted). That put us in central PA. I didn't just want to land at a hotel and have nothing to do, so Hershey seemed like a good place to start since we've been here many times in the past, and it gave us something to do at night.

Lunch consisted of snacking in the car. My wife picked up Bagels with scallion cream cheese ( it was actually vegan cream cheese, which wasn't bad , definitely not great, but it worked). Also snacked on a bag of baby carrots.

When we got to hershey ,we checked in and off to the park we went. Many of the coasters and carnival games were open. So was the touristy 'Chocolate Factory Tour' where i scored a mini hershey bar. We've been to hershey many times with the kids as they grew up. Now was just us two, but walked around the park thinking about all the fun we had in the past.

Dinner was limited to either a black bean burger or subway. We chose subway.
(We knew we were going to eat at the park and it would be slim pickins. Didnt want to 1) waste any time looking for a restaraunt, 2) drive anymore than we had to since we have a lot more driving ahead of us

Snacks was a big bag of Kettle Corn ( I love the stuff, its so addicting that salty sweet combo).

We also entered the little zoo, where there were lit up carved pumpkins .
Our shuttle bus driver informed us that the Hershey Gardens ( on the grounds of the Hershey Hotel where we were staying) also had a 'Pumpkin Walk', where many lit up pumpkins are scattered throughout the gardens along the paths. At this time we were too exhausted, but if i would have known about it prior, we would have incorporated into the itinerary. Oh well, there is always next year.

Another tradition is we always get a caricature of the family each year we went to hershey. Well, we kept up the tradition , but this time with no kids.

Then back to the hotel to get the much needed rest

Pictures were limited partially cause it was dark, partially cause we've been here a dozen times and partially cause not exciting foods to take pics of :). Absolutely beautiful hotel, especially in the summer when the landscape is so well done.

Attachments

• Hershey1.jpg
    Hershey1.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 122
  • Hershey2.jpg
    Hershey2.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 128
  • hershey5.jpg
    hershey5.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 119
  • Hershey3.jpg
    Hershey3.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 113
  • Hershey4.jpg
    Hershey4.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 103
Darling pictures of you two! Have a wonderful time. Loved the time-zone story and the humorous pictures, that had me laughing.

Glad you find my quest to embarrass my family enjoyable :)

Today, up early. Had the breakfast of champions ( Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal and picked on the kettle corn) in the car, on the go. I think I had an apple too. First stop Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater house, just outside of Pittsburgh. For all of you who have any interest in Architecture , or just a cool house, this is a must. After this headed to Pittsburgh where we went to the Senator Heinz History Center, which basically has multiple floors showing the history of all aspects of Pittsburgh. My primary reason, and Im not ashamed to say it, is seeing the Mr Rogers section. grew up with him as a kid, and with the new Tom Hanks movie coming out soon, I wanted to relive my youth. In addition, they had a section on the history of the Heinz Company. Since it is a road trip, and I take many, what better thing to to than to head over to the convention center which they are having a show on what else?? RV's. Figured we'd see if getting an RV was for us ( it isn't, but still cool to see how they cram so much stuff in such a tiny place). And finally, we actually had a sit down meal. So , being a food forum, I'd like to share those pics with you as well.

Pics are as follows:
Falling water house ( built to fit into nature ( over and around water falls)
Mr Rogers set/ sneakers
Heinz exhibit , and some retro heinz's bottles
Cool fountain path in/ under the convention center ( and my wife showing off her modeling abilities)
Lunch ( pumpkin Late, Blood Orange/ Basil soda, Spinach/ shiitake flatbread, Latke/Tofu scramble and kale/ shiitake stirfry, and red carrot/ lentil soup.

Lunch was great. Way above average for a vegan restaurant. The place was packed, and surprisingly, not everyone there looked like a vegan.

We actually ordered extra, and that will be tonights dinner.

Attachments

• fallingwater.jpg
    fallingwater.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 117
  • Heinz History 1.jpg
    Heinz History 1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 111
  • Heinz History 2 .jpg
    Heinz History 2 .jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 126
  • Heinz Historay 3.jpg
    Heinz Historay 3.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 133
  • Heinz history 4.jpg
    Heinz history 4.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 137
  • Heinz History 5.jpg
    Heinz History 5.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 123
Pictures continued

More Pics

Attachments

• Convention 1 .jpg
    Convention 1 .jpg
    62 KB · Views: 137
  • Convention 2 .jpg
    Convention 2 .jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 106
  • b521.jpg
    b521.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 121
  • b522.jpg
    b522.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 115
  • b523.jpg
    b523.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 102
  • b524.jpg
    b524.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 122
  • b525.jpg
    b525.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 105
Thanks for the warm send off;)

Lunch consisted of snacking in the car. My wife picked up Bagels with scallion cream cheese ( it was actually vegan cream cheese, which wasn't bad , definitely not great, but it worked). Also snacked on a bag of baby carrots.

When we got to hershey ,we checked in and off to the park we went. Many of the coasters and carnival games were open. So was the touristy 'Chocolate Factory Tour' where i scored a mini hershey bar. We've been to hershey many times with the kids as they grew up. Now was just us two, but walked around the park thinking about all the fun we had in the past.

Sounds like a good time was had by all. Glad you're having a good time.

When I first went to Vienna when I was 12 we went on a tour round the Julius Meinl chocolate factory. I was never a chocolate fan but that tour finished me off for years and years. Nowadays I can force it down to be polite but it wouldn't bother me if I never saw it ever again. Can't stand the smell never mind the taste.

I feel like I'm a fly on the back seat. (no comments from the peanut gallery, please)

Thanks, Larry. This is fun.

(Could you maybe pick up some pretzels? That's what my mom brought on every one of our road trips when I was a kid. They're a salty, basic starch; good for soothing bellies from post void motion sickness to basic hunger pangs)

I LOVE Falling Waters!!!

Falling waters went above and beyond our expectations.
For as great as it looks in pics, the pics dont do it justice when you stand in the house, hear the flowing water and gaze outside through all the windows to see the incredible surroundings. Maybe if I win that 1.6 billion lottery ill offer to purchase it ;)

I
(Could you maybe pick up some pretzels? That's what my mom brought on every one of our road trips when I was a kid. They're a salty, basic starch; good for soothing bellies from post void motion sickness to basic hunger pangs)

Now, if I were going to pick up pretzels, it would have to be from Philly. Not the regular ones, but the soft ones. Every time we go to philly, we always stop by the factory ( where all the street vendors get their pretzel supply from) and buy a box of 100 soft pretzels. The car steams up from the warmth, cause they are right out of their oven.

My wife used to always get the salt water taffy as a gift from her parents when they returned from a trip ( usually atlantic city NJ, or lake george, ny). Last year while in montana, we stopped into a candy store that sold literally hundreds of salt water taffy flavors. This place was literally in the middle of nowhere. It was in a town with just one strip of stores, no traffic lights ... and the jail had a noose hanging in the window above the front door. We bought 2 full bags of taffy and snacks on them all the way home. I remember getting peanut butter flavored taffy and grape flavored taffy, id eat them together so i could get the peanut butter and jelly affect :)

BTW, Tonights dinner, which we bought from the same place we had lunch (as take out) was a vegan schwarma sandwich, a felafel platter with babaganouj, hummus, spinach pie, pita bread and a chocolate cake for desert. No pics of the food, we were too hungry for me to look for the camera .

Tomorrows we will be making it down to Lexington, KY. Stopping at a few attractions along the way ( Teaser).
Breakfast in hotel, Lunch in the car , Dinner undecided.
Tune in tomorrow for the details.

Back
Top Bottom