Road Trip to Mississippi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Next week, this vegetarian will be taking a road trip down to Mississippi ( Biloxi Area).

So my question is, are there any regional foods I should look for ( Something that I either can't get up here in New York, or even if I can get it, just not the same).

The kicker is, has to be vegetarian.

Our road trip will take us through Western Virginia, Eastern Tennessee ( Knoxville, Chattanooga , Alabama then Mississippi. Im not exactly sure what time of day Im leaving so I don't know exactly where Ill be and when , so if there are any " Must Taste" eateries along the root, let me know and I'll see if I can swing it. But ultimately, will be in Biloxi for 4 days ( possibly hitting New Orleans too)

I can think of a couple...

Southern Cornbread unlike Northern Cornbread usually doesn't have sugar in the ingredients, but then, it might be served with sorghum molasses if you are lucky.

Sweet potatoes are not just for thanksgiving, and especially Sweet Potato Pie.

Southern BBQ flavored Cole slaw, esp in the Carolinas, maybe Tenn/ surrounding states. Look for regular cole slaw with BBQ sauce mixed in. Depending on the sauce, can have quite a kick to the flavor.

Biscuits. Made with White Lily Flour.
Grits
Mayo, in a jar, Dukes, make your own sammies for lunch.

Sweet Tea.

Waffle House restaurants. A chain we don't have , at least in my part of the northland.

Listen up if someone says to you -- bless your heart,,, do they mean that in a good way or not in a good way. O yes, remember it was the War of Northern Aggression. Enjoy your trip.

Last edited:
Do you eat fish, seafood? There's a place in Slidell, on the way to NOLA, that sells raw fish, crawfish, shellfish. They also serve cooked food too but it's kind of a dive place, clean but definitely no frills. I've stopped and gotten lots of live crawfish several times on my way to and from my Dad's home in north/central MS. Price for crawfish has always been pretty decent and we've gotten good sized ones, even huge ones. Didn't buy any but the price for local caught shrimp was pretty darn good last time I was thru and checked. Name of place is Kenney's Seafood.

Do you eat fish, seafood? There's a place in Slidell, on the way to NOLA, that sells raw fish, crawfish, shellfish. They also serve cooked food too but it's kind of a dive place, clean but definitely no frills. I've stopped and gotten lots of live crawfish several times on my way to and from my Dad's home in north/central MS. Price for crawfish has always been pretty decent and we've gotten good sized ones, even huge ones. Didn't buy any but the price for local caught shrimp was pretty darn good last time I was thru and checked. Name of place is Kenney's Seafood.

Unfortunately, I don't eat fish, but Ill pass the info off to my Nephew who goes to school at Tulane. Im sure He'd enjoy it very much :)

Some of the Zapp's potato chips are vegan if you need something else to eat with your Duke's.

Don't want to start something and I've never had either that I know of since we don't use it that much and buy Kraft or make or own, but what about Blue Plate mayo? I thought it was supposed to be a pretty good mayo too? Just asking for future reference.

I kept hearing "Duke"s" "Duke's" so many times, I had to buy a jar when we were in Asheville. Brought the sealed jar home, opened it even though I had a freshly-opened jar of Hellman's (my favorite) and tasted them side-by-side. I saw no real difference. YMMV.

Hope you have fun. Make sure you let us know how your vacation was.

I think many of us cling to things we grew up with as the best. Especially if they remind us of good times. I still make food my grandmother cooked for me. Can't remember a thing my mother or father made. Maybe that is the reason I became more adventurous early on.:)

Made it to Mississippi. Only adventurous food thing I did so far was get a bag of Boiled Peanuts from some farm stand on the side of the road. I couldn't pass it up, I needed to do something local.

A vegan in Mississippi?

We were both vegetarians at the time ( she's vegan now)
So being able to have dairy helped us out quite a bit.
Lets just say we stopped at a a lot of Subway's that vacation ( provolone cheese sandwich ( some also had the veggie patty)).

Memphis was a little bit trickier.
We stopped at a walmart and stocked up on peanut butter, jelly and white bread.

One of my favorite pictures is of my wife standing behind Sun recording studios, (where Elvis, Johnny Cash and others recorded greatness) making a PBJ sandwich on the hood of our car in the parking lot.

Attachments

• IMG_7310.jpg
    IMG_7310.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_7303.jpg
    IMG_7303.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_7306.jpg
    IMG_7306.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
We were both vegetarians at the time ( she's vegan now)
So being able to have dairy helped us out quite a bit.
Lets just say we stopped at a a lot of Subway's that vacation ( provolone cheese sandwich ( some also had the veggie patty)).

Memphis was a little bit trickier.
We stopped at a walmart and stocked up on peanut butter, jelly and white bread.

One of my favorite pictures is of my wife standing behind Sun recording studios, (where Elvis, Johnny Cash and others recorded greatness) making a PBJ sandwich on the hood of our car in the parking lot.

My favorite, feel good, sandwich.... :yum: :)

Ross

Back
Top Bottom