Sandwich pics from each state

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pennsylvania has the pork and broccoli rabe sandwich??? Give me a break! The Philly Cheese Steak is iconic and synonymous with Philadelphia and Pennsylvania.

At least they didn't mention Primante's sandwich with french fries and cole slaw...

They gave some other state the cheese steak .... ? Maybe arizona?

I would have thought Iowa's would have been the pork tenderloin, breaded or unbreaded, but the Maidrite (which is the original Iowa loose meat sandwich) is probably more representative. I had one once, it was really salty.

Last edited:
A friend who used to live in Japan told me that tinned spaghetti sandwiches are very popular in Japan. Now that sounds gross!

Have you tried baked bean sandwiches?

Cold baked beans on white bread with catsup or ketchup. I never know which one to use! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

They were standard fare during the Great Depression. I still enjoy them once in a blue moon. A slice of raw onion and or crisp bacon is a nice addition.

Last edited:
Well that was a great article. Most of those sandwiches looked absolutely delicious to me ... and of course now I am hungry !! :neutral:

I saw some that I will have to make now so thanks for the inspiration !! :yum:

I would have thought Iowa's would have been the pork tenderloin, breaded or unbreaded, but the Maidrite (which is the original Iowa loose meat sandwich) is probably more representative. I had one once, it was really salty.

I think the breaded pork and the Maidrite are a draw.

Indiana, I think, got the pork.

I'm glad Iowa's is a Maidrite. Grew up on them.

I think the breaded pork and the Maidrite are a draw.

Indiana, I think, got the pork.

I'm glad Iowa's is a Maidrite. Grew up on them.

I would have thought they would mention Maidrite, instead they mentioned Tastee In and Out, which I'd never heard of, for loose meat sandwiches. :huh:

OK, now I am annoyed. Asked DH, who grew up in Iowa, what the Iowa sig sam would be, he also answered pork tenderloin, followed by the Maidrite.

Last edited:
I would have thought they would mention Maidrite, instead they mentioned Tastee In and Out, which I'd never heard of, for loose meat sandwiches. :huh:

OK, now I am annoyed. Asked DH, who grew up in Iowa, what the Iowa sig sam would be, he also answered pork tenderloin, followed by the Maidrite.
What is a loose meat sandwich? I've always wondered since watching an episode of "Rosanne" when she took over a restaurant (and that's going back a bit)

Last edited:
A loose meat sandwich is like a sloppy joe, but with a different sauce. At least the ones I've seen.
I fry some burger, then add some chicken stock, paprika and Worcestershire sauce, let it simmer some until it reduces a bit and serve it on a burger bun with diced onion. It's a nice simple sandwich with minimal work. Good stuff. The meat works in a taco shell with cheddar cheese, too. That's how I usually finish off the leftovers.

A loose meat sandwich is like a sloppy joe, but with a different sauce. At least the ones I've seen.
I fry some burger, then add some chicken stock, paprika and Worcestershire sauce, let it simmer some until it reduces a bit and serve it on a burger bun with diced onion. It's a nice simple sandwich with minimal work. Good stuff. The meat works in a taco shell with cheddar cheese, too. That's how I usually finish off the leftovers.

:shock: No sauce on a loose meat sandwich, and nothing like a sloppy joe, Pac!

:shock: No sauce on a loose meat sandwich, and nothing like a sloppy joe, Pac!

If you say so :rolleyes:
I must make my sloppy joe sandwiches different than you do. Mine are fried burger with dry and wet ingredients to make the burger moist, or wet. What some people refer to as a sauce. Hence the name "sloppy" joe. In the case of a sloppy joe the ingredients color it red. In the case of a loose meat sandwich the juices/sauce are colored like chicken stock, paprika and Worcestershire sauce.
I'd have to see the recipes you use to see to see why yours are nothing alike, but different. Do you use a different meat for your loose meat sandwiches? I've only seen burger used, so that's what I use.

If you say so :rolleyes:
I must make my sloppy joe sandwiches different than you do. Mine are fried burger with dry and wet ingredients to make the burger moist, or wet. What some people refer to as a sauce. Hence the name "sloppy" joe. In the case of a sloppy joe the ingredients color it red. In the case of a loose meat sandwich the juices/sauce are colored like chicken stock, paprika and Worcestershire sauce.
I'd have to see the recipes you use to see to see why yours are nothing alike, but different. Do you use a different meat for your loose meat sandwiches? I've only seen burger used, so that's what I use.

I'm just stating how Iowa does it, and certainly don't dispute your recipe! I love sloppy joes, and frankly, don't really care for the Maid Rites as they have no sauce :LOL: But loose meat MaidRites are a state icon around here.

Take a gander at the link I posted.

I'm just stating how Iowa does it, and certainly don't dispute your recipe! I love sloppy joes, and frankly, don't really care for the Maid Rites as they have no sauce :LOL: But loose meat MaidRites are a state icon around here.

Take a gander at the link I posted.

I didn't see a link you posted :huh: Maybe I missed a post.
But if the maidrite doesn't have a sauce and it's made similar to the recipe I use, it's because you are using a slotted spoon to scoop it onto the bun :LOL:

:LOL: I remember that! And she and then-hub Tom Arnold actually opened a loose meat restaurant for awhile in Iowa. Here the originals were called Maid Rites, several franchises around.

Here's a copycat with a bit of an explanation: Maid-Rite Recipe | Iowa Girl Eats

OK, this person does not use as much stock/broth as I do. It might cook out. I use enough so the meat floats some, like an ox roast sandwich. The bun is wet when I make them.

Back
Top Bottom