"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 03-18-2006, 09:36 AM   #1
Head Chef

SC - Charleston

We are going to Charleston for the week after Easter . Our daughter and family will be there with us. We're renting a villa and will be doing some cooking, but wonder if any of you know of a kid friendly place with good food. Our "grands" are used to eating out in nice places, and we'd like to treat the family one night while we are there. Any recommendations will be really appreciated.
Lyndalou

Old 03-18-2006, 10:03 AM   #2
Executive Chef

It's been a few years since I've been to Charleston, but you certainly won't lack for places to eat. There are some great ones. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the names. We ate at a few in the historic district that were wonderful. It seems to me one of them was upstairs.

Old 03-18-2006, 10:12 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

SNOB (Slightly North of Broad), Hank's, Peninsula Grill, Charleston Grill, Fig, HOminy Grill.

The NYTimes had a great article about Charleston cuisine in Wednesday's paper. Search the Times site for Charleston restaurants.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:43 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

There was this place called Magnolias that I ate at last time I visisted that was fantastic. I had fried green tomatoes with fresh mozzarella and a balsamic reduction on a bed of spinach as an appetizer. For my meal I had seafood and grits that were out of this world. The menu was a lot of southern type food but with a fancy touch. It all looked wonderful. I am pretty sure I had a good dessert but I forgot since it has been a while.

If I recall at wasn't exactly cheap but it was well worth it.

On a side note if you were looking to spend a bit more money (in the $30 range for an entree) the Charleston Grill is amazing as well. It's on the first floor of the Charleston Place Hotel on King Street right in the middle of the downtown part of town. That's where I had my first taste of foie gras. Also, males have to wear pants or they might not let you in. Here's their website.
Old 03-18-2006, 06:41 PM   #5
Executive Chef

As a native, I can highly recommend SNOB and Magnolias on the peninsula. Both have wonderful food - in fact are owned by the same restaurant group. Breakfast at Hominy Grill is also great! If you travel to Mt. Pleasant, across our beautiful new Cooper River Bridge, try the Gullah Restaurant on Highway 17 North; authentic Gullah foods; their she-crab soup can't be beat!

And if the weather's nice, again in Mt. Pleasant, try Vickery's on Shem Creek; get a table on the deck, which overlooks Shem Creek; you'll get a great view of all the trawlers and maybe even a peek at some dolphins!

Where will you be staying? If you'd like PM me; I can give you some more great 'local' spots!
Old 04-07-2006, 01:56 PM   #6
Head Chef

Carolina's and The Trawler. I like both, though I understand Carolina's is under new management. I haven't made it to SNOB yet, but want to. I'm also fond of Hyman's Seafood, and a beer at Tommy Condon's is a nice refresher on a hot day.

I enjoyed The Privateer out on Seabrook at Bohicket last time I was there, but that was just as much that I was back in Charleston/Seabrook/Kiawah as it was the food. Not to mention it was sunset too.

Ain't nothin' like She Crab for an app, with Shrimp n Grits following.

Ohhhhhhhhh... you make me wanna go home again. The smell of the low tide, the golden marshes in autumn, fiddler crabs scurrying from underfoot... I miss Charleston whenever I'm away and would move there in a heartbeat if I could afford it. It's home to me. I'm a native, born there but grew up in coastal Texas. I have pluff mud in my veins, though.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 06:04 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Phinz, sorry to say the Trawler is no longer in existence; was bought out by a big conglomerate who turned it into the The Sport Fish Grille or something like that. It's all 'gimmicky', they're just trying to attract the bar crowd, and the food is awful. There's a big push to save Shem Creek; it's being trashed by the restaurants and 'pleasure' boats, and most of the shrimper and other trawlers have moved up to Awendaw or McLellanville.

Another of our favorite restaurants here in Mt. Pleasant (across the river from Charleston) is 'The Wreck of the Richard and Charlene'; a wonderfully eclectic little place, with VERY fresh, simply prepared seafood. They don't advertise much; no reservations, everyone waits in line; they don't take credit cards; and if they don't feel like opening, they don't!
Old 04-08-2006, 07:14 AM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalady
Phinz, sorry to say the Trawler is no longer in existence

Old 04-08-2006, 08:00 AM   #9
Executive Chef

I know; another Charleston 'tradition' bit the dust. We happened to be there with DH's family the last night they were open. Was a bittersweet experience; all the staff, including the chefs, came out and just chatted with everyone, and we all got complimentary Trawler T-shirts and aps. Everyone misses them.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:41 AM   #10
Head Chef

How soon before they sell the market to WalMart, Luden's to BassPro and Gilligan's to Red Lobster? :(

Tags
sc, south carolina