SC - Charleston

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
We are going to Charleston for the week after Easter . Our daughter and family will be there with us. We're renting a villa and will be doing some cooking, but wonder if any of you know of a kid friendly place with good food. Our "grands" are used to eating out in nice places, and we'd like to treat the family one night while we are there. Any recommendations will be really appreciated.
Lyndalou

It's been a few years since I've been to Charleston, but you certainly won't lack for places to eat. There are some great ones. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the names. We ate at a few in the historic district that were wonderful. It seems to me one of them was upstairs.

SNOB (Slightly North of Broad), Hank's, Peninsula Grill, Charleston Grill, Fig, HOminy Grill.

The NYTimes had a great article about Charleston cuisine in Wednesday's paper. Search the Times site for Charleston restaurants.

Last edited:
There was this place called Magnolias that I ate at last time I visisted that was fantastic. I had fried green tomatoes with fresh mozzarella and a balsamic reduction on a bed of spinach as an appetizer. For my meal I had seafood and grits that were out of this world. The menu was a lot of southern type food but with a fancy touch. It all looked wonderful. I am pretty sure I had a good dessert but I forgot since it has been a while.

If I recall at wasn't exactly cheap but it was well worth it.

On a side note if you were looking to spend a bit more money (in the $30 range for an entree) the Charleston Grill is amazing as well. It's on the first floor of the Charleston Place Hotel on King Street right in the middle of the downtown part of town. That's where I had my first taste of foie gras. Also, males have to wear pants or they might not let you in. Here's their website.

Last edited:
As a native, I can highly recommend SNOB and Magnolias on the peninsula. Both have wonderful food - in fact are owned by the same restaurant group. Breakfast at Hominy Grill is also great! If you travel to Mt. Pleasant, across our beautiful new Cooper River Bridge, try the Gullah Restaurant on Highway 17 North; authentic Gullah foods; their she-crab soup can't be beat!

And if the weather's nice, again in Mt. Pleasant, try Vickery's on Shem Creek; get a table on the deck, which overlooks Shem Creek; you'll get a great view of all the trawlers and maybe even a peek at some dolphins!

Where will you be staying? If you'd like PM me; I can give you some more great 'local' spots!

Carolina's and The Trawler. I like both, though I understand Carolina's is under new management. I haven't made it to SNOB yet, but want to. I'm also fond of Hyman's Seafood, and a beer at Tommy Condon's is a nice refresher on a hot day.

I enjoyed The Privateer out on Seabrook at Bohicket last time I was there, but that was just as much that I was back in Charleston/Seabrook/Kiawah as it was the food. Not to mention it was sunset too.

Ain't nothin' like She Crab for an app, with Shrimp n Grits following.

Ohhhhhhhhh... you make me wanna go home again. The smell of the low tide, the golden marshes in autumn, fiddler crabs scurrying from underfoot... I miss Charleston whenever I'm away and would move there in a heartbeat if I could afford it. It's home to me. I'm a native, born there but grew up in coastal Texas. I have pluff mud in my veins, though.

Last edited:
Phinz, sorry to say the Trawler is no longer in existence; was bought out by a big conglomerate who turned it into the The Sport Fish Grille or something like that. It's all 'gimmicky', they're just trying to attract the bar crowd, and the food is awful. There's a big push to save Shem Creek; it's being trashed by the restaurants and 'pleasure' boats, and most of the shrimper and other trawlers have moved up to Awendaw or McLellanville.

Another of our favorite restaurants here in Mt. Pleasant (across the river from Charleston) is 'The Wreck of the Richard and Charlene'; a wonderfully eclectic little place, with VERY fresh, simply prepared seafood. They don't advertise much; no reservations, everyone waits in line; they don't take credit cards; and if they don't feel like opening, they don't!

I know; another Charleston 'tradition' bit the dust. We happened to be there with DH's family the last night they were open. Was a bittersweet experience; all the staff, including the chefs, came out and just chatted with everyone, and we all got complimentary Trawler T-shirts and aps. Everyone misses them.

Phinz, as far as I'm concerned, the market might as well be WalMart; so much of the originality is gone; mainly booths upon booths of junk, junky jewelry, and souveniers made in Taiwan. The basket ladies do remain, tho, as well as some great booths with booths with Gullah spice mixes and preserves; a local potter who does great salt glaze work, and a French guy who has - of all things - beautiful Provence tablecloths for next to nothing! That's what makes going to the market worthwhile!

Gretchen, I have to say both times I've eaten at Hyman's was okay - at least worth standing in the gawd-awful lines for!

Another local fave as well as tourist attraction - all you Rachel Ray fans, she had the restaurnt on her $40 a day show once - is Jestine's. Good low country food, prices not too bad.

My two faves, tho, remain Vickery's and SNOB. I might as well explain the meaning of 'SNOB' for those not from the area. There's a main street in Charleston, Broad St. 'Legend' has it that to have truly 'arrived' in Charleston, one must live 'South of Broad', where all the monied folks live. Anything 'North of Broad' was -well- considered common. Hence, the name of the restaurant, 'Slightly North of Broad', poking fun at all those old Charlestonisms!

I love to stand in the market and listen to the Gullah ladies as they talk and weave. Other than that, I really just enjoy watching the people as they weave their way through the area.

My most comical experience was this past October while standing in the market. There was a Gullah couple selling spices and a German lady was interested in purchasing them. The language barrier was immense as the poor German lady didn't speak good English, and she was having no luck understanding what the proprietor wanted.

She was telling the customer that she need a "dollabull." I heard it repeated several times and was resisting helping the German lady, if for no other reason but to let her get the full experience. It was only when I realized there was no way the poor touron straight off of the cruise ship would understand the lovely lady talking to her that I pointed at the dollar bill in her hand and told her she was asking for a "dollar bill," hence the word "dollabull." :mrgreen:

Lol, Phinz - I love the Gullah accent! And I'm so glad to see a real effort being made here to preserve the traditions, stories and crafts. They're a precious part of history.

Lol - no, just a transplanted Yankee (born in Pgh, lived in Boston in the 60's, then upstate SC, then Charleston, then Buffalo, NJ, and finally full circle back to Charleston.

I just love the tradition, heritage, and history from the Gullah peeps.

Back
Top Bottom