"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 10-29-2012, 10:36 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969
We too enjoy Subway!

It gives a healthier option in my opinion and I like how you can choose exactly what you would like to go in your rolls...also..the cookies they sell are to die for
I've only had the cookies once, and they were very good.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:10 PM   #22
Master Chef

I live in a small (3500) Midwest town, and fast food is a McDs, a Subway and a Culvers. I very rarely frequent any of them ... fast food is what I do when I have to go to Florida to do family obligations, and after 3 days in the car, eating fast food, awhile there, then three days back, I never want any of it again.

That said, the last Florida trip made me discover that Dunkin Donuts (I think that's the chain) has pretty damned good croissants. This is the bane of my existence. I was introduced to truly great croissants at, of all places, the Pentagon bakery. I mean that literally, the Pentagon had a great bakery and their Friday morning special was croissants and they were to die for. I haven't had a good one since, but these are better than any others I've bought.

To me a burger's a burger. Yes, there are some that are really good, and some that are really bad. But .... it's still a burger.

A number of years ago (I'd say 3 or 4), towards the end of menopause, my sense of smell went off. I've recovered most of it, but the smell of rancid grease puts me off my food. Others might not even notice it. But when I had to eat fast food for an extended period of time .... I lost 10 lbs.

Next time we head to Florida (it's all a matter of time, my parents are 78 and 82 years old and both in poor health), I hopefully will have the time to hit the grocery store and fill a cooler with makings for good food. Of course, any time I do that, the weather turns to h in a handbasket, and all we want to is find a place to duck inside.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:03 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
I've only had the cookies once, and they were very good.
We had the Macadamia and White Chocolate ones....OMG...YUM!!!
Old 10-30-2012, 09:03 AM   #24
Executive Chef

Its funny that the actual sandwiches at the stores never look like the ones in their TV ads. Last time I went to get a sub there, the vegis didn't look so fresh. I went elsewhere, never to return.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #25
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Its funny that the actual sandwiches at the stores never look like the ones in their TV ads. Last time I went to get a sub there, the vegis didn't look so fresh. I went elsewhere, never to return.
Most stores that I have been in had decent looking veggies. While I prefere to find a good local deli when I travel I know what to expect in Subway. The one close to where I am at now does good. Here are two sandwichs from the local place after I got them back to the room.

$5 foot long turkey breast by powerplantop, on Flickr

Subway Foot Long Roast Beef by powerplantop, on Flickr
Old 10-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
Most stores that I have been in had decent looking veggies. While I prefere to find a good local deli when I travel I know what to expect in Subway. The one close to where I am at now does good. Here are two sandwichs from the local place after I got them back to the room.

$5 foot long turkey breast by powerplantop, on Flickr

Subway Foot Long Roast Beef by powerplantop, on Flickr
Like I said, nothing like the TV ads.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:00 PM   #27
Certified Pretend Chef

I believe there are requirements that food shown in TV ads must be of the same content and amounts as real life.

That said, there's nothing saying the can't stack all the ingredients on the front half of the sandwich lightly stacked so there is no compacting of the ingredients so it shows as a fuller sandwich. No mention of the fact that the back half of the bread is empty.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #28
Head Chef

My experience with the local Subway is that I always get full portion of ingredients. The sandwiches may not look just like the studio shots, but I'd as soon get it sooner than wait while the sub artiste meticulously arranges the green pepper to peek out just right. I make fun of their turkey everything, but at least the turkey fakery is well done, and they're very generous with meats. And the vegetables here are always pretty fresh. It's all sure better than something that's been sitting in its foil under hot lights and is not even approximately like the photos. And Subway has enough deals to be attractive.

It's not the real sub artistry of the local Austin area Thundercloud Subs,

but of the big fast food operators, Subway seems the most wholesome.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:26 PM   #29
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
My experience with the local Subway is that I always get full portion of ingredients. The sandwiches may not look just like the studio shots, but I'd as soon get it sooner than wait while the sub artiste meticulously arranges the green pepper to peek out just right...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Its funny that the actual sandwiches at the stores never look like the ones in their TV ads...

GLC, my intent was not to trash the sandwiches you get in the store. I was responding to Craig's comment, which is true for all fast food ads on TV.

Check out this video which explains how it's done. She does it with a burger but this will give you the idea.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #30
Head Chef

And she didn't get into the glycerin, the milk substitutes, the motor oil syrup, and the chemical sprays to induce steam.

(Motor oil really does look like pancake syrup, as the other fire department shift discovered when they kept stealing our syrup.)