"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 10-30-2012, 06:28 PM   #31
Assistant Cook

I usually have turkey and chicken on cheese and herb

Old 11-03-2012, 04:05 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

We love the chicken ones

Old 11-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #33
Sous Chef

Subway's great, and they're everywhere.
I usually get a Veggie Delite on wheat.
I always ask them to put red onion and` oregano on the sandwich before toasting it because it's better that way.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Cold cut Combo on any of the breads for me. Probably not the healthiest choice, but it is "fast food". Our small town doesn't have a lot of fast food choices, Subway or Burger King :(.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise
Subway's great, and they're everywhere.
I usually get a Veggie Delite on wheat.
I always ask them to put red onion and` oregano on the sandwich before toasting it because it's better that way.
I like your idea of putting things on the bread before toasting. Thinking of what veggies I might want toasted..........green peppers come to mind.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #36
Senior Cook

I don't care for the cold cuts at Subway, but my family likes them so when we go I get a tuna sub with lots of veggies. I like the prices too. A sub at a privately- owned sandwich shop around here can easily cost $7-8. Subway prices are half that.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:09 AM   #37
Assistant Cook

The meat at Subway is not good, I prefer Jimmy John's. That being said, Subway is all we have here in Switzerland, and it's few and far between. I have it when I have an intense craving for something from home.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:59 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I believe there are requirements that food shown in TV ads must be of the same content and amounts as real life.

That said, there's nothing saying the can't stack all the ingredients on the front half of the sandwich lightly stacked so there is no compacting of the ingredients so it shows as a fuller sandwich. No mention of the fact that the back half of the bread is empty.
That's exactly what they do. It is all the same amount you receive when you buy it, just packed in differently. The food is also sprayed with water to make it look much fresher and perked up. You will never see them show just a plain burger. There is nothing they can do to enhance that up except to paint grill marks on it with Gravy Master. If you see grill marks on the edges of a burger, you can bet they were painted on. Who holds a burger on edge while grilling it?
Old 09-08-2014, 06:07 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

No Subway's here in my town. We have privately owned sub shops on almost every corner. And the majority offer hot subs. Meatball, eggplant, sausage, egg and pepper, etc. Then you have your choice of American or Italian cold cut ones. Oil and vinegar on the cold ones with a shake or two of Italian spices. I always get an eggplant with extra sauce and grated cheese. My favorite veggie.

Over in the city of Everett, someone made the following observation to me one day. There is a sub shop on every corner and right next door or across the street is a hair salon. Sure enough, the last time I went through there, they were right. I am not sure what the connection may be, but it is interesting.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:43 AM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Actually, if you check their store locator, there are quite a few Subway shops in Boston.