"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 09-08-2014, 09:57 AM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Actually, if you check their store locator, there are quite a few Subway shops in Boston.
There just aren't any here in my section of Boston. There was one over in Everett. It lasted about three months. They just don't last in an Italian neighborhood. Too many Italian sub shops for competition.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:35 AM   #42
Certified Pretend Chef

Not sure why any local would go to a Subway with all the local shops around.

I've mentioned my Friday ritual of an Italian sub every Friday. A local shop makes the perfect Italian sub (IMHO). After years of searching chain and locals, I found this place and my quest is over.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:40 AM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Not sure why any local would go to a Subway with all the local shops around.

I've mentioned my Friday ritual of an Italian sub every Friday. A local shop makes the perfect Italian sub (IMHO). After years of searching chain and locals, I found this place and my quest is over.
There is something special about an Italian sub. What do they put on top of yours? In this town it is a mixture of chopped pickles/chopped hot cherry peppers. Then a sprinkle of Italian mixed herbs. Along with a red vinegar and olive oil. And the shop I go to really packs in the cold cuts and Provolone cheese. But the best part is that the shop is just around the corner from here. And of course it is on a corner.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:47 AM   #44
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
There is something special about an Italian sub. What do they put on top of yours? In this town it is a mixture of chopped pickles/chopped hot cherry peppers. Then a sprinkle of Italian mixed herbs. Along with a red vinegar and olive oil. And the shop I go to really packs in the cold cuts and Provolone cheese. But the best part is that the shop is just around the corner from here. And of course it is on a corner.

All that, Addie, except lettuce.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:50 AM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
All that, Addie, except lettuce.
I don't think I have ever had an Italian sub with lettuce. Just cold cuts and cheese with all the fixings.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:54 AM   #46
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I don't think I have ever had an Italian sub with lettuce. Just cold cuts and cheese with all the fixings.
Shredded lettuce seems to be fairly standard out here in the 'burbs.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:57 PM   #47
Head Chef

Subway has changed their bread. It's more pastry like, almost like a croissant. Needless to say I don't like it.

Why does almost every sandwich Subway make have to have all the "fixins" ?
I know you can request which ones, but still...

I don't need bell peppers and a ton of onions, lettuce, pickles, tomatoes on a steak sammie...jeesh!

I like their Italian BMT with all that stuff, but then they load it onto sandwiches that have no business having all that stuff.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:05 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Subway

Caslon, I disagree as far as toppings. We like all the veggies! Italian BMT is the fave here, I like everything on it, including shredded lettuce and especially banana peppers. I don't care for regular dill pickles, sorta takes away the Italian. (As if there was Italian in Subway, but subs are one of DH's passions.)
Old 09-09-2014, 02:58 AM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

if my buddy ozzy had lived, subway would be out of business by now.

he was a "give me extra everything that doesn't cost extra" kinda guy. at a fast food burger joint he'd order the most basic burger, then get every extra free topping.

if he went to subway, it was tuna with extra everything. extra extra until the poor sandwich maker said enough. lol.

i like subway tuna, and i can tolerate their turkey when sharing a sandwich with dw , but the rest of their meats look like they're made from the plastic stuff they just removed from their bread.

andy and addie, i live near a few italian neighborhoods and for some unknown reason subway shops exist right along side the mom and pop italian joints. much like great pizza right next to pizza huts and papas john.

i don't get it.

maybe it's just the wide variety of breads and toppings available at subway. most italian places have bread choices in shapes, not type. and toppings are limited to basic italian deli.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:15 AM   #50
Master Chef

Subway is hit or miss for me too. I like the BMT and the meatball sub. As far as great subs go, there's a greasy spoon called The West Pier in my home town. When I was a child, the only sub that could be had was there. It consisted of bologna, salami, cheese, chopped green pepper, shredded lettuce, chopped black olives, and onion. It was made of the best sub rolls and fillings the owner could purchase. He made the subs to be sold the night before, so as to let the flavors mingle a bit. If he ran out, he would not make more, or sell them freshly made. Sadly, in our world of bottom line trumps everything, the quality of ingredients available in the 60
2 and 70's can't be had in these parts any more, and so the sub, though still pretty good, is no longer magical.

In El Cajon Ca. there was a place called Grinders. It had wonderful italian subs, dressed with EVOO.

The best I can find now is at a gas station/convenience store in a little town called Guliver, on highway US-2, enroute to Manistique MI. They have a wonderfully light and delicate sub roll, with very good hard salami, pepperoni, and capicola, all with a good provolone, topped with a choice of dressings, black olives, onion, peppers, etc. The sandwich is toasted, which results in a crisp, very thin and delightful outer crust, supremely tender bread crumb, and those great fillings that sing on the palate.

My other favorite sub is only available on Christmas day, in my dining room. We purchase several kinds of cheese, and deli meats, along with a couple different breads, and dressings, and veggies. Then, we make our own subs the way we want, and toast them or not as personally desired. no one has to spend the day cooking.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote