"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 09-09-2014, 05:06 PM   #61
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
We've been over this before - Maine has a port closer to Europe than Boston, but it doesn't matter because that's not how shipping works. The Port of Hampton Roads, where I am, imports much more tonnage from Europe than Boston does because we have a deeper harbor that can handle the mega-container ships that are in use today. So it's likely that the Italian meats and cheeses you enjoy were sent up the coast on a train from here.

And you don't have to be Italian to appreciate the food.
All I know is that much of it never eraches Sault Sainte Marie, MI

Our freshwater fishing is amazing though.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:09 PM   #62
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
All I know is that much of it never eraches Sault Sainte Marie, MI

Our freshwater fishing is amazing though.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

If enough people ask for it in stores, you may get your wish. You all have to let them know what you want to buy.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:10 PM   #63
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Subway has changed their bread. It's more pastry like, almost like a croissant. Needless to say I don't like it.

Why does almost every sandwich Subway make have to have all the "fixins" ?
I know you can request which ones, but still...

I don't need bell peppers and a ton of onions, lettuce, pickles, tomatoes on a steak sammie...jeesh!

I like their Italian BMT with all that stuff, but then they load it onto sandwiches that have no business having all that stuff.
I don't really understand your complaint. Subway never puts anything on a sandwich until I tell them what I want. I get exactly what I ask for and I watch them put it together. They never initiate any toppings without my say so.

Out here, we have little choice (In a town of less than 300 souls, we're lucky to have a restaurant and bar that's open 4 nights a week). For subs, it's head for the big city of Sterling 20 miles away, either to Subway or the grocery store deli counter. Given that choice, I pick Subway. I like the Spicy Italian with pepper jack cheese, toasted, then add lettuce, tomato, green pepper, onion, jalapenos, topped with the southwest chipotle sauce.

We also don't get any Italian markets out here in cowboy country. Denver does have an Italian neighborhood with a couple of decent markets (I say that, but I have nothing to compare them to), and I've bought olive oil and balsamic vinegar there in years past, but nothing else. Now I'm 2½ hours northeast of Denver, so I won't be doing much grocery shopping there.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:36 AM   #64
Head Chef

Before I send Ninja's out to where you are, listen.

1.Subway has gone from their traditional "french bread" textured bread to a more softer "croissant" textured bread.

2. Subway used to cut the top off their newly baked loafs and fill the insides with goodness, then put the top back on. That was goodness. But then, Subway had to compete with Quiznos, so Subway starting slicing the bread differently to make it easier to toast . It's an inferior way to make the perfect sub. The way Subway makes their sandwiches now, one bite into the sandwich and all the fixins get squeezed out the side. It's a bummer they don't cut the bread like they used to.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:41 PM   #65
Executive Chef

Quote:

1.Subway has gone from their traditional "french bread" textured bread to a more softer "croissant" textured bread.

2. Subway used to cut the top off their newly baked loafs and fill the insides with goodness, then put the top back on. That was goodness. But then, Subway had to compete with Quiznos, so Subway starting slicing the bread differently to make it easier to toast . It's an inferior way to make the perfect sub. The way Subway makes their sandwiches now, one bite into the sandwich and all the fixins get squeezed out the side. It's a bummer they don't cut the bread like they used to.
I always thought that "V" cut in the top of the loaf was silly. Hard to force all the ingredients into a small channel like that. It was for fast sandwich making and appearance. Nothing more.
I agree the bread has changed, but it has been changed for a reason. So the fillings do not get squeezed out.
I can get a turkey sub with lots of toppings and not loose to much out the sides. The better bread like at Publix is what squeezes out the fillings.

Granted, I can find a much better sub, but the reasons you provide are not why I would eat a Publix sub over a Subway sub.
Different approaches in both instances.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:56 PM   #66
Head Chef

Quote:

I prefer it the way it is now. I don't have any problem holding it all together. I've had lots of practice eating 4" tall burgers in a couple of my favorite restaurants - CB & Potts, a CO Front Range brew pub chain has some wonderful burgers (not to mention one of my absolute favorite beers), and I also like Red Robin. A sub is no challenge at to hold after some of those.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:08 PM   #67
Master Chef

I would not care what bread or how they cut it, I just want one Subway in town , .... has to be kosher.

Everything is in perspective. I love Subway's tuna sandwich, but cannot have one, unless I go to Miami or Cleveland. Not even sure if NY has one. Sad, very sad.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:09 PM   #68
Assistant Cook

$2 half sandwich either cold cut or meatball. Not sure how long this will go.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:14 PM   #69
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I don't think that subway has had decent bread for years. With that said, it's reliable and I can get the sandwich exactly how I want it. The ones on my neighborhood are exceptionally clean and well run, I suspect that they are all owned by the same person.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:15 PM   #70
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I always thought that "V" cut in the top of the loaf was silly. Hard to force all the ingredients into a small channel like that. It was for fast sandwich making and appearance. Nothing more.
I agree the bread has changed, but it has been changed for a reason. So the fillings do not get squeezed out.
I can get a turkey sub with lots of toppings and not loose to much out the sides. The better bread like at Publix is what squeezes out the fillings.

Granted, I can find a much better sub, but the reasons you provide are not why I would eat a Publix sub over a Subway sub.
Different approaches in both instances.
I love the good bread, but hate how the filings squish out!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote