Subway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We've been over this before - Maine has a port closer to Europe than Boston, but it doesn't matter because that's not how shipping works. The Port of Hampton Roads, where I am, imports much more tonnage from Europe than Boston does because we have a deeper harbor that can handle the mega-container ships that are in use today. So it's likely that the Italian meats and cheeses you enjoy were sent up the coast on a train from here.

And you don't have to be Italian to appreciate the food.

All I know is that much of it never eraches Sault Sainte Marie, MI :(

Our freshwater fishing is amazing though.:)

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Subway has changed their bread. It's more pastry like, almost like a croissant. Needless to say I don't like it.

Why does almost every sandwich Subway make have to have all the "fixins" ?
I know you can request which ones, but still...

I don't need bell peppers and a ton of onions, lettuce, pickles, tomatoes on a steak sammie...jeesh!

I like their Italian BMT with all that stuff, but then they load it onto sandwiches that have no business having all that stuff. :blink:

I don't really understand your complaint. Subway never puts anything on a sandwich until I tell them what I want. I get exactly what I ask for and I watch them put it together. They never initiate any toppings without my say so.

Out here, we have little choice (In a town of less than 300 souls, we're lucky to have a restaurant and bar that's open 4 nights a week). For subs, it's head for the big city of Sterling 20 miles away, either to Subway or the grocery store deli counter. Given that choice, I pick Subway. I like the Spicy Italian with pepper jack cheese, toasted, then add lettuce, tomato, green pepper, onion, jalapenos, topped with the southwest chipotle sauce.

We also don't get any Italian markets out here in cowboy country. Denver does have an Italian neighborhood with a couple of decent markets (I say that, but I have nothing to compare them to), and I've bought olive oil and balsamic vinegar there in years past, but nothing else. Now I'm 2½ hours northeast of Denver, so I won't be doing much grocery shopping there.

Last edited:
Before I send Ninja's out to where you are, listen.

1.Subway has gone from their traditional "french bread" textured bread to a more softer "croissant" textured bread.

2. Subway used to cut the top off their newly baked loafs and fill the insides with goodness, then put the top back on. That was goodness. But then, Subway had to compete with Quiznos, so Subway starting slicing the bread differently to make it easier to toast . It's an inferior way to make the perfect sub. The way Subway makes their sandwiches now, one bite into the sandwich and all the fixins get squeezed out the side. It's a bummer they don't cut the bread like they used to.

1.Subway has gone from their traditional "french bread" textured bread to a more softer "croissant" textured bread.

2. Subway used to cut the top off their newly baked loafs and fill the insides with goodness, then put the top back on. That was goodness. But then, Subway had to compete with Quiznos, so Subway starting slicing the bread differently to make it easier to toast . It's an inferior way to make the perfect sub. The way Subway makes their sandwiches now, one bite into the sandwich and all the fixins get squeezed out the side. It's a bummer they don't cut the bread like they used to.

I always thought that "V" cut in the top of the loaf was silly. Hard to force all the ingredients into a small channel like that. It was for fast sandwich making and appearance. Nothing more.
I agree the bread has changed, but it has been changed for a reason. So the fillings do not get squeezed out.
I can get a turkey sub with lots of toppings and not loose to much out the sides. The better bread like at Publix is what squeezes out the fillings.

Granted, I can find a much better sub, but the reasons you provide are not why I would eat a Publix sub over a Subway sub.
Different approaches in both instances.

I prefer it the way it is now. I don't have any problem holding it all together. I've had lots of practice eating 4" tall burgers in a couple of my favorite restaurants - CB & Potts, a CO Front Range brew pub chain has some wonderful burgers (not to mention one of my absolute favorite beers), and I also like Red Robin. A sub is no challenge at to hold after some of those.

I would not care what bread or how they cut it, I just want one Subway in town :yum:, .... has to be kosher.

Everything is in perspective. I love Subway's tuna sandwich, but cannot have one, unless I go to Miami or Cleveland. Not even sure if NY has one. Sad, very sad. :)

I don't think that subway has had decent bread for years. With that said, it's reliable and I can get the sandwich exactly how I want it. The ones on my neighborhood are exceptionally clean and well run, I suspect that they are all owned by the same person.

I always thought that "V" cut in the top of the loaf was silly. Hard to force all the ingredients into a small channel like that. It was for fast sandwich making and appearance. Nothing more.
I agree the bread has changed, but it has been changed for a reason. So the fillings do not get squeezed out.
I can get a turkey sub with lots of toppings and not loose to much out the sides. The better bread like at Publix is what squeezes out the fillings.

Granted, I can find a much better sub, but the reasons you provide are not why I would eat a Publix sub over a Subway sub.
Different approaches in both instances.

I love the good bread, but hate how the filings squish out!

$2 half sandwich either cold cut or meatball. Not sure how long this will go.

Subway still has $5 footlongs for an entire month during the year. That's not a bad price. BMT for me.
Lay's Sour Cream and Onion chips.

Subway built their empire on freshly baked bread on site. I wish Subway would stop messing with a good thing.

Subway cut their bread differently all of a sudden in order to compete with Quiznos toasting their subs...but Quiznos is tanking and on their way down the drain.

Why is Subway now messing with how they bake their bread? I sampled their newly formulated bread and it now has the texture of a morning sausage and egg croissant. What the hell?

Last edited:
Locally owned sandwich shops have been making great subs for decades. Now Subway is trying to improve on the design?

I love sandwiches. Subway is good but I prefer getting sandwiches from local shops and there are many local sandwich shops in my town. I prefer having a plain chicken sandwich and a cup of coffee from there. :)

Had a 6 inch meatball sub at Subway yesterday, with green peppers, provolone, and black olives on it. The sauce was a little too sweet, but the sandwich was a cut above bologna and mayo. The meatballs had a great texture, but were very bland in flavor. I'm-a just-a gonna have-a to make-a some meat-a-balls with-a some sauce, eh. ;) (my best, cheesy, fake, Italian accent, like the ones from one of our local pizza joint's radio commercials.

Beware of Submarina sandwich shops. Super high prices and stale chewy old bread. I should have suspected something when I saw 3 different tables with the sandwiches half eaten on the plates after they left. Mine was the 4th table with a half eaten roast beef sandwich after I left.
Submarina is a pretty big national chain without a formula for success.

I too like some delis that are located in liquor stores that feed the masses during lunch hour , particularly roast beef with avocado, lettuce and a tomato on an onion roll. Subway is pretty good too but is almost too formulaic. Every Subway ad shows a ton of veggies piled on that don't necessarily belong on some sandwiches.

Last edited:
Beware of Submarina sandwich shops. Super high prices and stale chewy old bread. I should have suspected something when I saw 3 different tables with the sandwiches half eaten on the plates after they left. Mine was the 4th table with a half eaten roast beef sandwich after I left.
Submarina is a pretty big national chain without a formula for success.

I too like some delis that are located in liquor stores that feed the masses during lunch hour , particularly roast beef with avocado, lettuce and a tomato on an onion roll. Subway is pretty good too but is almost too formulaic. Every Subway ad shows a ton of veggies piled on that don't necessarily belong on some sandwiches.

I'm not sure of the complaint here. You get to choose your own toppings, so if it's deemed more attractive to film the ad with toppings that don't suit you, that shouldn't affect your rating for them. 99.9% of all the food you see in adds is not visually representative of what you get in the restaurant.

(By the way, I'm not a tout for Subway - just like their sandwiches)

Last edited:
Then there's this little deli in a Marathon Service station on U.S. 2, in a little town called Guliver, between St. Ignace and Manistique, MI, on the North side of the highway, that has one of the best subs on the planet, at least for me. The bread is white, but very soft and pillowy. The fillings are Provolone, good salami, pepperoni, and capicola, with your choice of veggies. I like mine with black olives, onion, tomato, and green peppers. The meats are abundant. A splash of olive oil goes over the veggies, and the whole thing is toasted.

The outer crust is crispy, with the whole thing being super tender and yummy in the extreme. Now I like Subway well enough, but this little deli put them to shame, IMO.

Ok, now I'm drooling. Time to go.

subway is really hit and miss for me depending on the store - some are awesome but every now and then get a really bad one - stale bread, nasty veg etc

Then there's this little deli in a Marathon Service station on U.S. 2, in a little town called Guliver, between St. Ignace and Manistique, MI, on the North side of the highway, that has one of the best subs on the planet, at least for me. The bread is white, but very soft and pillowy. The fillings are Provolone, good salami, pepperoni, and capicola, with your choice of veggies. I like mine with black olives, onion, tomato, and green peppers. The meats are abundant. A splash of olive oil goes over the veggies, and the whole thing is toasted.

The outer crust is crispy, with the whole thing being super tender and yummy in the extreme. Now I like Subway well enough, but this little deli put them to shame, IMO.

Ok, now I'm drooling. Time to go.

A drizzle of vinegar and I'd be a happy woman!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom