SWITZERLAND - Zurich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jikoni

Sous Chef
Anyone know nice places to eat in Zurich? I will be there the last weekend of november for work. I intend to have a few good meals! anyone know where?

Went to Adler's Swiss Chuchi for lunch. Had fondue, which I love (plus it IS Switzerland). Recall it being cheap and good.

Drank beer at Bierhalle Kropf but didn't eat there. Lots of locals were eating there, though.

I have been there twice and can't remember other places at the moment but will try to.

I was there - didn't have any bad food and can't remember the name of one place. - sorry. I did tend to eat more "local" foods. People we were with tended not to. Mine was always better.

Thanks Jennyema and Kitchenelf.I might check out the places mentioned.Zurich is like a different country even though it's all switerland, I am in French speaking Suisse and Zurich is German speaking. I had the impression that they would probably have food German related.

Oh yes -- it's Germananic all right. I like German food, but a lot of it, eg, Schweinhochsen (pork hocks), can be a bit heavy and offputting at first. I remember that I also had Rosti at the lunch place and a small fresh salad, both of which were very good.

I was struck by the differences between the French-oriented Geneva and the German-oriented Zurich. The cuisine, the architecture, the people (the language, obviously) .... but they are both lovely places.

The area around the train station is not very interesting. Try to go down Banhofstrasse (I think that's the name of the main street -- it usually is in Europe) toward the lake on both sides of the river.

Back from Zurich! Lesson learnt, everywhere is full at lunch time over the weekends, so better to be at a restaurant of your choice early or book early. I ate mostly at work, but went out once I would recommend Zeughausekeller on Banhofstrasse. I had some lovely 'Kalbesgeschetzeltes' cooked the Zurich way.The veal and mushroom sauce was rich and very very tasty.You could taste the white wine in it as well as everything else in it.I may have to look for this recipe.http://www.zeughauskeller.ch/english/frame2.htm. Some collegues went to the Tarverna catalana in the old town and said it was great, Unfortunately I discovered a Kenyan pub, so that's where I hang out after work on friday night putting my swahili to use and discussing Kenyan politics(Kenyans just voted against the referendum...so we talked the subject to death!)Saturday night was all work.

^ I tried to cook the veal last night and liked it. now I have added it to our family recipes. Here is what I did.
Ingredients
White wine
Chopped shallots
Cream
Thinly sliced veal pieces
Mushrooms
Fresh parsley

Melt butter, then sauté the veal until it loses red colour. Put aside. add shallots to pan with the mushrooms and sauté , add wine and make a reduction of the wine so lets say 10 mins, add cream and veal and mix thoroughly for about 3 mins then sprinkle with fresh parsley before serving.Bon appetit!

I served it with steamed basmati rice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom