"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 01-04-2007, 09:39 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

TN - Knoxville and IL - Chicago?

My job has me traveling quiet a bit this year and I am going o get to take Kathy along on some trips. I plan on doing as much business on Fridays so we can stay over weekends and take in the sights! My first trip this year will be to Knoxville, TN on February 8-11 I would appreciated any advice on where to dine. I heard there was a Famous Daves there but, I have never been to one? I am also going to Chicago the first weekend in March, I have been there several tie but never been able to spend any time there besides business but this time Kathy is going with and we are staying over the weekend whoeee! I just joined this site but I have to tell you all I think it is awesome!

Old 01-04-2007, 10:35 PM   #2
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Well, I LOVE Famous Daves!
Anyhew, I live in Chicago and I would enjoy to directing you towards some of the better places to eat. All I need to know is what area of Chicago you will be in.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:33 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Well, I have business in Elmhurst but we wil be staying the weekend on the miracle mile.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:58 PM   #4
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
ELMHURST?!?!?! I live in the next town!! (Bensenville)
What type of food would you enjoy? I have a list and I'll check it twice.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:18 AM   #5
Head Chef

Gosh, we lived in Chicago for about 4 years almost thirty years ago. Get back every once in a while (call that reguolarly every ten years) and love the place.

So we are very out of date.

Many like Rick Bayless' places Topolobampo and the Frontera Grill. Need to book early as I recall.

And we are starting to plan a trip there, the food is great.

But we will never set our feet in Chicago without getting one of their hotdogs.

Can get them almost anywhere in the city, without a full, whole nine yards, with everything Chicago frank you just have not experienced true dog heaven. Or Chicago.

Am sure there are many who will be along to help you with the finer parts of Chi dining, but leaving without experiencing their wieners is akin to going to London for the first time and shunning fish and chips (the dogs are better).

Have a great trip.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:39 AM   #6
Master Chef

Here is a great site that will help you out

Home - Chowhound click on boards and then the area your planning on visiting.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:54 AM   #7
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd & Kathy
miracle mile.
It's the magnificent mile. If you talk about the miracle mile up in Chicago people will look at you funny

Anyways, I too, am from the Chicago area originally, so share with us what type of food you would be interested in and we can help you out!
Old 01-06-2007, 04:04 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

hehehehehehehehehe , yes magnificent mile!:) I better get that right before I get there!:) We will be meeting my parents there, they live in Michigan and like to travel to Chicago several times a year. We like all types food but, when we travel we do like to take in the local favorites! I have been to Elmhurst 3 time on business and once to Elburn. I work for Caterpillar and visit a dealership there (Patten Industries) at least once a year sometimes twice but, tis is the first time Kathy has been, she is REALLY excited! Local favorites will definately work!
Old 01-16-2007, 10:13 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Knoxville Dining

This is a great site for Knoxville and surrounding area restaurants. Here is the link Knoxville Restaurants | Area Restaurant Guide. I think the lady in the post above is talking about the Copper Cellar. There isn't a Copper Kettle restaurant in Knoxville. I have lived here since 1983 and have never heard of it.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:05 AM   #10
Head Chef

I use Home - Chowhound whenever I go anywhere new.

In CHicago, I'd hit Giordano's for awesome deep dish pizza and I'd get breakfast at Ann Sathers - their cinnamon rolls are to die for. I could give you a long, long list of places to eat in Chicago - its a great town for foodies.

In Knoxville, there are many BBQ joints, I'd check over at chowhound and see what sounds good. Famous Dave's is a chain and I ate there once and I was NOT impressed.

Tags
illinois, tennessee