TN - Memphis ... BBQ!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FraidKnot said:
I have a friend who is on a BBQ team that competes at Memphis in May. Her team is known as the Parrothead Porkers. (Yes, they are Jimmy Buffet fans!)

Fraidy, it's a small world!

The Parrotheads are my old team. I was also on the Annesdale Pork team for a couple of years. Please pm me and let's see if we know any of the same people. I know the team has evolved over the last 16 years or so, but some of my old buddies are still working that margarita machine once they get set up.

I prefer Neely's but take out-of-towners to Rendevous for the atmosphere and downtown experience.

Fraidy is right about the invitation from a Bbq team but some of local restaurants used to sell their stuff on Riverside Blvd. next to the park and if all else fails Rendevous and Beale St. are just up the bluff; gets a little hectic in May though.

Chef_Jimmy said:
Gridley's...on Summer Ave! Fraidknot...remember the Pig and Whistle?

There use to be a Gridley's near the exit for Bartlett--first BBQ jiont I ate at after moving the Memphis.

Also ate at Willingham's, Pig & Whistle (by the univ, ChefJimmy?), and that place in Midtown that apparently closed (can't remember its name, but it was near Silky Sullivan's).

Fraidy, I usually don't eat the beans. Corky's red potato salad used to be to die for, though.

I am surprised after three pages the Germantown Commissary has not been mentioned. As the plastic cup says “Barbeque so good you will slap your Mama”.

The Commissary is okay...the Boss salad rocks. I love blues city cafe on beale, central BBQ, the BBQ shop and neelys. There are many more, but those are my top

Okay, here's the deal. Living in the Memphis area, it's entirely possible to become so sick of BBQ that you don't seek it out. I've no clue about Neeley's; I've heard of the Germantown Commissary but I sure wouldn't think about going there to order Q ! :cool: Please, just give me a nice rare steak and a baked potato with butter and sour cream and a cup of broccoli-cheese soup and I'll be happy as a clam! Okay, it could be a cup of clam chowder. Or potato soup... just not BBQ soup! :ohmy:

Fraidy

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom