"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 07-30-2014, 02:02 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Toronto restaurant with deaf servers

This is cool, I've never heard of anything like it before

Old 07-30-2014, 02:08 PM   #2
Senior Cook

What a unique idea! Thanks for posting that. Everyone can learn much from those with disabilities and special needs.....especially respect and acceptance.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:11 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

+1

I sometimes stop at a local chip wagon that has physically disabled servers.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:46 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

I think it's commendable the owner is giving such an opportunity to the hearing impaired along with a unique dining experience for the public. I suspect this will be a novelty that loses it's appeal quickly.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:17 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I think it's commendable the owner is giving such an opportunity to the hearing impaired along with a unique dining experience for the public. I suspect this will be a novelty that loses it's appeal quickly.
I think that depends on the food and the location. If it's the only draw, it will pale quickly.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:42 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I've come across several tea rooms and cafe run as serious businesses by local charities, usually in small towns, where the staff are all disabled. Excellent idea and in the ones I've frequented so much nicer than the places run by large businesses.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:43 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I've come across several tea rooms and cafe run as serious businesses by local charities, usually in small towns, where the staff are all disabled. Excellent idea and in the ones I've frequented so much nicer than the places run by large businesses.

In that type of setting, it would be different. With so many choices in a major city like Toronto for good eats, the novelty of having to order with sign language will wear off.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:16 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiklitmanfan View Post
What a unique idea! Thanks for posting that. Everyone can learn much from those with disabilities and special needs.....especially respect and acceptance.
When Poo was in the first and second grade he went to the Franklin School in Tacoma. The school district was trying to intergrate disabled children into the mainstream of schooling. So starting in the first grade, all children were taught to sign as part of their education. For the older children, special classes were held. Within five years all children could sign. It was a big hit with the parents, both deaf and hearing.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:23 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Toronto restaurant with deaf servers

Toronto is a big place, while I agree the novelty could soon wear off, there is still a large pool of potential customers to draw from. I like the fact that not only does the restaurant offer new work opportunities to the deaf, it also affords the hearing public the opportunity to learn a few words of ASL and perhaps a better understanding of the challenges of for hearing impaired living in a "hearing" world. Maybe some will decide that ASL is something they would like to learn. I say Kudos!

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Old 07-30-2014, 09:33 PM   #10
Head Chef

As long as the food is good I think it is great!

I was planning to ask for a Toronto restaurant recommendation anyway so. I will be spending one night in Toronto on my way to North Bay and I need a dinner recommendation for dinner reasonably close to the airport but kind of casual. So would this be a good choice or something else?

Could also use a recommendation for lunch on the way to North Bay.